PDA

View Full Version : karl: do you see this often?

midnight
12-08-2003, 02:53 PM
I don't play Calder very often, but for various reasons, I liked #4 Sniffles in the 6th race today. The horse was 4-1 on the morning line and hovered between 5-1 and 6-1 the whole time. The odds made the horse a play. As the horses were loaded in the gate he was 6-1. When the pools were updated about halfway through the race, it had dropped to 7-2. The win pool wasn't small. There was about $88,000 in it, with about $15,000 on Sniffles (a horse at 6-1 had about $10,000). Of course it won in hand, paying $9.80.

Obviously some person or persons sent it in at the end. I've seen this happen ad nauseum at Houston and Fair Grounds (which is why I don't play those tracks), but I haven't really watched Calder much. Does it happen in Florida a lot too?

Figman
12-08-2003, 03:27 PM
This is bound to happen often at tracks like Calder and Fair Grounds. Look at last Monday, December 1st at Calder when 91.2% of the money bet was wagered off track! This means only 8.8% is wagered "on-track".

Couple that with a vast majority of bettors placing their wagers close to post time and you have occurences like you described. It follows that where higher percentages of off-track money "one or two hops" late into the on-track pools as compared to a bet placed "on-track", the end result is late odds fluctuations.

Suff
12-08-2003, 03:30 PM
was it this Board? or another Board I just saw this week...

true story...was a Long thread somewhere..

Horse was 15-1 turning for Home. Paid off at 6-1.

The track said the "Graphics" froze on thier Mult-Media equipment and that it was 6-1 all along... TV Graphics Froze when he was 15-1.

trying2win
12-08-2003, 03:32 PM
MIDNIGHT,

--Pardon me for cutting in like this, but your post sparked my curiousity about something. I know this may be a dumb question, but could you or someone else inform me about how a host track receives simulcast and betting companies money?

-- Are these simulcast sites or betting companies programmed to send in the bets to the host track every 90 seconds or so?...or do these off-track sites collect bets from customers and only send in all the bets to the host track in the last minute before post time, or ??? I'm just curious what the procedure is.

Thanks,

Trying2win

midnight
12-08-2003, 03:39 PM
I'd like to know that myself.

CapperLou
12-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Guys:

This is a common happening here at Calder---just one of the things you have to put up with because so much money is coming in from simulcasting compared to amount wagered on track!!

All the best,

CapperLou

Figman
12-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Pari-Mutuel sites are interconnected through what is called ITSP protocol. The procedure is for the host track (the track conducting the live race) to "pull the money wagered" from the guest site. The host track may "pull" one or more partial pools or it may not. It does however, always "pull" the absolute final pools from all guests immediately upon the issuance of a "stop betting" electronic signal.

In the late 1980's the procedure was different where the guest "sent" the pools to the host. In those days the guest had to be very careful to send partials and finals in a most timely manner! Clocks were synchronized on a daily basis. Otherwise the guest ended up "booking" pools.

trying2win
12-08-2003, 04:10 PM
FIGMAN,

--Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Especially that line:

"The host track may "pull" one or more partial pools or it may not."

--Sounds like it might make a big difference in some cases. That's if the host track chooses the 'MAY NOT" option at times...then just pulls the guest sites money from the final betting totals.

Trying2win

Derek2U
12-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Its just plain low tech hardware that makes a horse's odds
drop (or rise) after the gate opens. Really A+ puters can make
that never happen. But then what? Suppose your gonna bet
$50 on Horse #1 to Win. There's 2 mins left & #1 is 5:1.
You bet. With 1 min left its 2:1 cause some guy bets 10K.
And? Do you want the 10K guy to Email you his intentions b4?
hehe ... But odds shifting during the race ... even 10 secs during.. makes racing look sleazy since real 2003 puters can
handle data thousands times more complex than pool money.

JustRalph
12-08-2003, 06:48 PM
I see this at every track..........not just a few.

What would you pay for the upgrade? .5% increase in takeout to upgrade all the equipment on an ongoing basis? Just wondered why Rudy or one of those high tech Consultants hasn't brought up the idea yet?

Derek2U
12-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Ralph why DO we have 2 pay nething? Granted, you're problem
solving ... and your suggestion is cool, but don't these Aholes
who run tracks know that WE MUST feel like we're customers
WITH A CHOICE. It's real bothersome 2 see a bet start at 3:1
and, still 3:1 on the tote as they're near the home turn, change
to 2:1. I don't give-a-F if its really InnoCent, in Reality, but its my
Game w/ my Money & it looks rigged. Or Feels Rigged. (And truly I feel queasy if I bet a horse at 2:1 & then it switches to 4:1 .... like what other horse drew the last minute action?) ..... I said this here b4 & read it now again: The company I love & work 4
does these incredible things w/ incredible precision. Hey, I just
play my part etc etc but the behind-the-scenes hardware is like
AWEsome. (hehe my wife Solange says I'm 100% right)
Tracks use a terrible business model --- look at corporate history.
Any Monopoly makes U pay & beg 2 pay more cause they're the
ONLY game in UR TOWN. Tracks function as a Monopoly. *** If ONE track (ne track) bans a jockey or trainer or owner or groom, doesn't EVERY track follow --- HONOR EACH OTHER. That's a Monopoly.
(Is Wal-Mart a Monopoly? I've never seen a Wal-Mart.) Now
that'a business model. Just kinda thoughts. derek

BETKING
12-08-2003, 08:33 PM
midnight,

If you had bet at XHorse you could have gotten 7-1.

BETKING