PDA

View Full Version : Too many 2YO races

Light
12-07-2011, 12:51 PM
The last several years ,race cards seem to be flooded with 2YO races. Personally I like to stay away from those races because their form is so volatile. But its become so common that there are some weekends I cannot find a track in the entire country that does not have a 2yo race in their Pk4 or even a Pk3!. And it seems these 2yo's never grow up. By now you would think that we would have a nice crop of older horses to fill races. Instead its the exact opposite. There are more 2YO races than ever. To me this is not quality racing. I don't think Europeans allow 2yo's to run at all. Is this plethora of 2yo's the major sign of the deterioration of the sport in this country?

OTM Al
12-07-2011, 01:04 PM
The last several years ,race cards seem to be flooded with 2YO races. Personally I like to stay away from those races because their form is so volatile. But its become so common that there are some weekends I cannot find a track in the entire country that does not have a 2yo race in their Pk4 or even a Pk3!. And it seems these 2yo's never grow up. By now you would think that we would have a nice crop of older horses to fill races. Instead its the exact opposite. There are more 2YO races than ever. To me this is not quality racing. I don't think Europeans allow 2yo's to run at all. Is this plethora of 2yo's the major sign of the deterioration of the sport in this country?

I love 2yo races and don't mind them, but there are actually less now than there have been in the past. Not sure what you know about European races, but they have quite a few races for 2yos, some going a distance further than the ones here do. Plenty of races. You don't like a 2yo race, there's another race going of in another minute or two.

Robert Goren
12-07-2011, 05:24 PM
They have too make their first start sometime. I look at like this. Every horse that starts as a 2yo is one less 3yo first timer.

classhandicapper
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I tend to pass most races with a lot of first time starters, but I don't mind the higher quality dirt races because I enjoy searching for the future stars of racing.

I have a problem with all the 2YO maiden turf route races.

They are usually a mix of first times starters, horses with decent dirt form trying the turf for the first time, horses with bad dirt form bred for the turf, horses with good turf sprint form but potentially not suited for route racing, horses with good back turf form that have been rained off the turf multiple times recently etc...

If I made a list of every complication I could come up with in trying to assess the fair odds of the horses in a race they are practically all present in every one of those races. 9 out of 10 times I glance at the race and turn the page. Even when I have an opinion, I have no idea what the fair odds are.

Valuist
12-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I seem to remember years ago; how horses would make 10 starts before starting their 3 year old season. Funny how they weren't breaking down back then.

Now they run less and break down more.

phattty
12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
better stay away from tampa saturday....all 2yo races

my question is this....in 2 weeks they would all be 3 yo's and i suppose ...ok to wager??? :bang:

tbwinner
12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
better stay away from tampa saturday....all 2yo races

my question is this....in 2 weeks they would all be 3 yo's and i suppose ...ok to wager??? :bang:

That's a good point, I have a handicapping buddy who completely stays away from 2YO races. I said the same thing, aren't you going to bet on them in 4 weeks when they "turn 3"?
For me, early on I don't like full fields of 2YO firsters. I skip the 2YOs at Churchill, keeneland, Belmont, even Saratoga. BUT I will say around November they start getting more formful and "easier" to look at...they're basically three :lol:

horses4courses
12-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I love 2yo races and don't mind them, but there are actually less now than there have been in the past. Not sure what you know about European races, but they have quite a few races for 2yos, some going a distance further than the ones here do. Plenty of races. You don't like a 2yo race, there's another race going of in another minute or two.

Good point, and the truth about Euro 2yo races.
They occasionally card races over there during the Fall, where 2yo's race against older horses - nearly always sprint races, with large weight concessions for the juveniles. The babies more than hold their own, too.

OTM Al
12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Good point, and the truth about Euro 2yo races.
They occasionally card races over there during the Fall, where 2yo's race against older horses - nearly always sprint races, with large weight concessions for the juveniles. The babies more than hold their own, too.

Only ones like that I've seen are 5f sprints. They can compete at that level. Have seen 2yo 1 1/4 m races I believe (though maybe was early season 3yo race at that distance)

horses4courses
12-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Only ones like that I've seen are 5f sprints. They can compete at that level. Have seen 2yo 1 1/4 m races I believe (though maybe was early season 3yo race at that distance)

Yes, I think you're right.
They do have some 10 furlong 2yo races, and I don't recall seeing 2yo's race against older horses beyond 6F, and most of those races are 5F.