PDA

View Full Version : Infamy--NOT!

Larry Hamilton
12-08-2003, 09:28 AM
..."a day which will live in infamy."--NOT!

FDR didn't know that infamy had a time limit. One-two generations later and not a peep in the media.

Which brings up a point...how long do you think Americans will remember 9/11? What ever dateline you pick, please stop using words that connote forever.

so.cal.fan
12-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Larry,
I saw special programming on MSNBC yesterday about PH.
They had several days of programming on the 50th anniversary, plus they had the movie Pearl Harbor.
I remembered, and I wasn't even born in 1941.

so.cal.fan
12-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Whoops, that should be the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.
I do remember seeing several really good specials on TV.

PaceAdvantage
12-08-2003, 01:30 PM
I remembered...however, I will admit I did not treat it as I do the 9/11 anniversary (I did not put any mention of PH Day on the main page)

I'm sure 9/11 will start to fade a bit from the frontlines as the years go by as well....it's human nature I suppose....

BIG RED
12-08-2003, 03:31 PM
I once asked two guys in thier 20s where pearl harbor was.
One said Alaska while the other said 'didn't something happen
there?(must be the schools?)My dad was in the Navy then and
he made sure no one in his family would forget.Now that I have
two of my own, they won't forget!My point would be to pass the
info down to your family and so-on,and so-on.

Larry Hamilton
12-08-2003, 05:46 PM
I missed it, though I am glad to hear it was on. I guess this says more about what I watch than it does about who will remember. My grand son occupies the tv on the Cartoon channel. He is three and not yet interested in the math of horse racing...

Tom
12-08-2003, 08:29 PM
I saw several programs about it, and there were some vets being honored at a football game. I saw a few people at the cemetary
placing wereaths, but I saw a lot more ignored markers with "-194X" dates on them and some sort of patriotic marking on the stones. They are gone and their children are gone. And no one remebers them anymore. 62 years is not that long, but it is eternity for some.
I missed PH by 10 years, but I will never forget it. I remeber hearing all the stories-three uncles were there, one went down with his ship but was saved. All three went overseas and all three came back. But back then, there was no Breaking News on CNN. They heard about PH, then weeks, months later, found out if their loved ones were alive or dead. The didn't get emails from the frontline, they got MovieTone newsreels in the movies, and then waited and agonized to hear about thier sons and husbands and daughters. Churchill said a mouthful when he said
Never before have so many........
This is is why 9-11 sparked me so much-so many great, loving, brave people gave thier all to make this world safe and now some POS little maniac with his underwear on his head is PO'd because we stepped on his yard?
WWII was a bad as it was becasue so many moronic cowrds were afraid to act and let Hitler and the japs get dug in too deep.
Never again. What we did to Iraq was the right thing to do. We were late in finishing it. We cannot, as a global society, allow dictators and genocide to ever start-we must address evil and destroy it the first time we see it, no matter where it is.
A salute to our national heros, then and now.

DJofSD
12-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Which event resulted in the most lives lost, PH or 9/11/01?

DJofSD

superfecta
12-09-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by DJofSD
Which event resulted in the most lives lost, PH or 9/11/01?

DJofSD Peal Harbor,it led us into WWII.........don't think the war in Iraq will ever approach that

DJofSD
12-09-2003, 12:41 AM
OK, let me rephrase the question.

On that single day, which resulted in the most lives being lost, PH or 9/11/2001.

DJofSD

doophus
12-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by DJofSD
OK, let me rephrase the question.

On that single day, which resulted in the most lives being lost, PH or 9/11/2001.

DJofSD

My research approximates:

PH=2,403 military plus 55 Japanese
WTC=2,887

Since approx 55,000,000 died during WWII, you have to think many more will die before this current war is completed.

PaceAdvantage
12-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Isn't it amazing that more did not die on 9/11? Absolutely incredible.....with that amount of destruction in that dense an area....