PDA

View Full Version : Its about time!!!

mostpost
12-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Ron Santo was finally elected to the Hall Of Fame today. A year after he died.
He received fifteen of a a possible sixteen votes from the "Golden Era" committee.
I am trying to look at this positively, but it is a shame he wasn't elected within a few years of becoming eligible.

In any case, congratulations to Ron's family.

cj's dad
12-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Try keeping up !!

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77868

Valuist
12-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Ron Santo was finally elected to the Hall Of Fame today. A year after he died.
He received fifteen of a a possible sixteen votes from the "Golden Era" committee.
I am trying to look at this positively, but it is a shame he wasn't elected within a few years of becoming eligible.

In any case, congratulations to Ron's family.

North Riverside......aren't most of them Sox fans?

OTM Al
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM

I thought there were only 2 or 3 of those in the whole world...

Anyway, long overdue for Santo. Real lack of 3rd basemen in the hall.

Valuist
12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I thought there were only 2 or 3 of those in the whole world...

Anyway, long overdue for Santo. Real lack of 3rd basemen in the hall.

Agreed. I was shocked to see he led the NL in triples one year besides hitting 300 plus HRs.

cj
12-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Is Graig Nettles next? They have pretty similar numbers.

Canarsie
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM

This is one time where being a Yankee may actually hurt his chances. How many very good to great players did the Cubs have plus he was elected by a special committee. They might not look at Nettles so kindly but then again who knows how they think. They waited for Santo to die (my ignorance didn't even know that) and then put him in.

Have no idea how many votes he received in previous years or how many players are ahead of him. Lots of it is political Rice had a bad relationship with the press.

OTM Al
12-06-2011, 10:44 AM
This is one time where being a Yankee may actually hurt his chances. How many very good to great players did the Cubs have plus he was elected by a special committee. They might not look at Nettles so kindly but then again who knows how they think. They waited for Santo to die (my ignorance didn't even know that) and then put him in.

Have no idea how many votes he received in previous years or how many players are ahead of him. Lots of it is political Rice had a bad relationship with the press.

I just heard on ESPN Radio this was wholly a different committee than the one in the past that repetedly passed him by.

mostpost
12-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Try keeping up !!

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77868
I started this thread because that one was closed and I thought people would like to comment. If you can't figure that out, you must be an Orioles fan. :D
Just so you know, Ron Santo? Better than Brooks Robinson.

mostpost
12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Probably, but us Cubs fans do get a few people to come to our clandestine meetings.

JBmadera
12-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I started this thread because that one was closed and I thought people would like to comment. If you can't figure that out, you must be an Orioles fan. :D

Better than Brooks? Oh man, you've lost it. How many world series MVP's for santo?

cj's dad
12-06-2011, 01:05 PM

I had no idea the other thread was closed. I apologize.

First, lets get this straight, Santo was a helluva player and class act and to go through the diabetes thing, hats off.

But, Santo over Brooks. R U kidding me. Better hitter by a slim margin but as a fielder, not even close.

Brooks- 15 times All Star -- 12 times Golden Glove - MVP in '64- ranked #57 all time position player (batter) by baseball-reference.com

Santo- 9 times All Star - 5 Golden Gloves - 0 MVP - ranked #85 by baseball-reference.com

Not about being an O's fan;

I have attended WS games in 1966, 1970, 1971 and 1983. I have seen the O's win in '66-'70 and '83.

So your only chance to see a Cubs in a WS game would have been in '45 when you were maybe how old ?

2 ?

mostpost
12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Better than Brooks? Oh man, you've lost it. How many world series MVP's for santo?That is not a criterion for who is the better player. That is a criterion for who played on the better team.
In 2500 less at bats, Santo had eighty more home runs, one less triple, 26 less RBI's and a lifetime batting average that was ten points higher that Robinson's.
Amazingly he had seven more stolen bases than Brooks.

Fielding? Robinson was undoubtedly the best fielding third basemen of the modern era. Santo was an excellent fielder. He led the NL seven times in range according to Baseball encyclopedia, and four times in throwing. He was not Brooks Robinson, but he was in the upper echelon of third basemen.

Valuist
12-06-2011, 01:36 PM

In HR and RBI, yes:
Santo 342 HR 1331 RBI
Nettles 390 HR 1314 RBI

In other offensive metrics, not really close:
Santo .277 BA .362 OBP .464 SLUG
Nettles .248 BA .329 OBP .421 SLUG

Gold gloves: Santo 5, Nettles 2

Johnny V
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
They were both fine 3rd basemen, no question. I would concede the edge to B. Robinson in fielding but I would rather have Santo on my team. He was the better hitter in all categories including OBP. IMO Santo also played in the tougher league back in those days. As far as Robinson, as a fielder, being the best of the best that is always a tough one. I would think one could make a case for Clete Boyer in that category as well.

Johnny V
12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
In HR and RBI, yes:
Santo 342 HR 1331 RBI
Nettles 390 HR 1314 RBI

Unlike Santo and Robinson, I had the opportunity to see Nettles play very often, and while a very fine 3rd basemen, I would agree that Santo was the better of the two.

mostpost
12-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I had no idea the other thread was closed. I apologize.

First, lets get this straight, Santo was a helluva player and class act and to go through the diabetes thing, hats off.

But, Santo over Brooks. R U kidding me. Better hitter by a slim margin but as a fielder, not even close.

Brooks- 15 times All Star -- 12 times Golden Glove - MVP in '64- ranked #57 all time position player (batter) by baseball-reference.com

Santo- 9 times All Star - 5 Golden Gloves - 0 MVP - ranked #85 by baseball-reference.com

Not about being an O's fan;

I have attended WS games in 1966, 1970, 1971 and 1983. I have seen the O's win in '66-'70 and '83.

So your only chance to see a Cubs in a WS game would have been in '45 when you were maybe how old ?

2 ?

No need to apologize. Both were great. Just trying to ruffle your feathers. I think if they played on the same team Santo would have been the third baseman, but only because Brooks could have moved to second or short whereas Santo would not have been able to.

I was four when the Cubs last played in a World Series. May not see the next if I live to 104. :(

cj's dad
12-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I saw your comment re: Clete Boyer and the first thought I had was that yes he was a very good 3rd baseman.

Then I looked up his numbers along with those of Rich Rollins (Twins) and both were pretty weak IMO.

Brooks, Santo, Nettles, Ken Boyer (Cards) and Eddie Mathews (probably the best hitting 3rd baseman) come to mind as the best of the 60-70-80's

Valuist
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
I saw your comment re: Clete Boyer and the first thought I had was that yes he was a very good 3rd baseman.

Then I looked up his numbers along with those of Rich Rollins (Twins) and both were pretty weak IMO.

Brooks, Santo, Nettles, Ken Boyer (Cards) and Eddie Mathews (probably the best hitting 3rd baseman) come to mind as the best of the 60-70-80's

Mike Schmidt was pretty good, too.

FantasticDan
Growing up in the late 70s as a Yankee fan (and a little league infielder ;) ) , Nettles was my baseball idol. Would love to see him eventually get in.. :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
Little known fact unless you're a baseball junkie as I used to be;
Brooks started out as a second baseman but a minor league coach by the name of Earl Weaver recommended to the big club that BR be given a shot at 3rd because of his lack of range at 2nd and because he had a very quick release and accurate arm. Seems to have worked out well for all involved.

No need to apologize. Both were great. Just trying to ruffle your feathers. I think if they played on the same team Santo would have been the third baseman, but only because Brooks could have moved to second or short whereas Santo would not have been able to.

I was four when the Cubs last played in a World Series. May not see the next if I live to 104. :(

cj's dad
12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Mike Schmidt was pretty good, too.

Forgot about him; heard he could hit a little :faint:

Ocala Mike
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
First baseball game I ever took my son to was a Yankee game on bat day in the 70's. Not sure, but it might have been played at Shea. Anyway, I'm sure he got a Graig Nettles bat, because I still have it somewhere around the house. My kid never got to be much of a baseball fan as it turned out, so I "inherited" the bat.

Ocala Mike

cj
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM

No George Brett? Come on, man!

cj
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
In HR and RBI, yes:
Santo 342 HR 1331 RBI
Nettles 390 HR 1314 RBI

This was kind of my point. Where do you draw the line? Neither one look like Hall of Fame numbers to me.

Valuist
12-06-2011, 04:34 PM
This was kind of my point. Where do you draw the line? Neither one look like Hall of Fame numbers to me.

I draw the line at Santo. His overall numbers, power, on base percentage and Gold Gloves are good enough.

Disclosure: I am a Cubs' fan so I might be biased.

You are right about Brett. Did Tony Perez play any 3B? I know Rose was at third part of the time but Rose played all over.

cj
12-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I draw the line at Santo. His overall numbers, power, on base percentage and Gold Gloves are good enough.

Disclosure: I am a Cubs' fan so I might be biased.

You are right about Brett. Did Tony Perez play any 3B? I know Rose was at third part of the time but Rose played all over.

It can be tough looking at today's numbers to be subjective with the old timers. I just don't remember Santo as being a Hall of Fame type player, but then again, the Cubs being so bad probably has a lot to do with it.

RaceBookJoe
12-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Has Edgar Martinez made the HOF? Think he went through some of the steroid issues right, cant remember...but he was a great hitter. rbj

Valuist
12-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Has Edgar Martinez made the HOF? Think he went through some of the steroid issues right, cant remember...but he was a great hitter. rbj

Just being a DH will definitely hurt him.

cj's dad
12-06-2011, 06:36 PM
No George Brett? Come on, man!

I forgot GB- cut me some slack - I'm getting old

RaceBookJoe
12-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Just being a DH will definitely hurt him.

I thought he played 3rd base for some reason, i knew he dh'd near the end of his career though. rbj

ElKabong
12-06-2011, 10:57 PM
good news about #10. Long overdue

PaceAdvantage
12-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Growing up in the late 70s as a Yankee fan (and a little league infielder ;) ) , Nettles was my baseball idol. Would love to see him eventually get in.. :ThmbUp:We have something in common after all...