PDA

View Full Version : George Will: Obama-care and Jobs

JustRalph
12-05-2011, 07:08 AM
This is a good piece on Obama-care and jobs using one company as an example.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/choking-on-obamacare/2011/12/02/gIQAKDCXMO_story.html

Snip:

"CKE has about 720 California restaurants, in which 84 percent of the managers are minorities and 67 percent are women. CKE has, however, all but stopped building restaurants in this state because approvals and permits for establishing them can take up to two years, compared to as little as six weeks in Texas, and the cost to build one is $100,000 more than in Texas, where CKE is planning to open 300 new restaurants this decade.

CKE restaurants have 95 percent employee turnover in a year — not bad in this industry — and the health-care benefits under CKE’s current “mini-med” plans are capped in a way that makes them illegal under Obamacare. So CKE will have to convert many full-time employees to part-timers to limit the growth of its burdens under Obamacare.

In an economic climate of increasing uncertainties, Puzder says, one certainty is that many businesses now marginally profitable will disappear when Obamacare causes that margin to disappear. A second certainty is that “employers everywhere will be looking to reduce labor content in their business models as Obamacare makes employees unambiguously more expensive.”

According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, by 2008 the cost of federal regulations had reached $1.75 trillion. That was 14 percent of national income unavailable for job-creating investments. And that was more than 11,000 regulations ago."

much more at the link

mostpost
12-05-2011, 03:00 PM
This is a good piece on Obama-care and jobs using one company as an example.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/choking-on-obamacare/2011/12/02/gIQAKDCXMO_story.html

Snip:

"CKE has about 720 California restaurants, in which 84 percent of the managers are minorities and 67 percent are women. CKE has, however, all but stopped building restaurants in this state because approvals and permits for establishing them can take up to two years, compared to as little as six weeks in Texas, and the cost to build one is $100,000 more than in Texas, where CKE is planning to open 300 new restaurants this decade.

CKE restaurants have 95 percent employee turnover in a year — not bad in this industry — and the health-care benefits under CKE’s current “mini-med” plans are capped in a way that makes them illegal under Obamacare. So CKE will have to convert many full-time employees to part-timers to limit the growth of its burdens under Obamacare.

In an economic climate of increasing uncertainties, Puzder says, one certainty is that many businesses now marginally profitable will disappear when Obamacare causes that margin to disappear. A second certainty is that “employers everywhere will be looking to reduce labor content in their business models as Obamacare makes employees unambiguously more expensive.”

According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, by 2008 the cost of federal regulations had reached $1.75 trillion. That was 14 percent of national income unavailable for job-creating investments. And that was more than 11,000 regulations ago."

much more at the link

First of all, the Carl Jr. experts say Obamacare will cost between $7M and $35M. If I had experts that could not give a more definitive answer, I would fire them. Secondly, we are getting this information from a guy who has a vested interest in the situation. Third we have forty seven million people in this country without health insurance. If a few companies need to cut into their profits to provide it I am fine with that.
Then there is this line from Will's article:
Seventy years ago, the local health department complained that Karcher’s hot dog cart had no restroom facilities.

REALLY? In 1941 they were concerned about restroom facilities at a hot dog cart? In 1941 I was just born, but I remember going to downtown Chicago in the late 40's and there were all sorts of hot dog and none of them had rest rooms. In any case having a restroom in a nearby gas station would not solve the problem. I think Will just added this false tidbit to play into the hands of his gulllible readers. i.e. you.

johnhannibalsmith
12-05-2011, 03:11 PM
First of all, the Carl Jr. experts say Obamacare will cost between $7M and $35M. If I had experts that could not give a more definitive answer, I would fire them...

Oh my there are so many ways to parlay this statement into a reflection of the sort of broad ranging, unsupportable alleged fiscal/employment statistics from our very own leaders that you repeat as fact regularly.

Tom
12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by mostpost
First of all, the Carl Jr. experts say Obamacare will cost between $7M and $35M. If I had experts that could not give a more definitive answer, I would fire them...

Given the total BS estimates of everything from Obama, you can say this with a straight face? :lol:

HUSKER55
12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
he's trying, tom. kinda of like a comedian who tells a good joke. except with BO you never run out of matereial.:D

Dave Schwartz
12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
First of all, the Carl Jr. experts say Obamacare will cost between $7M and $35M. If I had experts that could not give a more definitive answer, I would fire them. Secondly, we are getting this information from a guy who has a vested interest in the situation. Third we have forty seven million people in this country without health insurance. If a few companies need to cut into their profits to provide it I am fine with that.

And if my congressman had the nerve to say, "We've got to pass the bill to know what is in it," I'd see that there was a problem.

Of course YOU are fine with THEM losing profit. But guess what? They won't lose profit. They will choose to cut their losses by cutting out the insurance for many that already have it by making them part time.

What's next? Pass a law forcing companies to stay the course even if they are losing money?

boxcar
12-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Given the total BS estimates of everything from Obama, you can say this with a straight face? :lol:

This isn't just a BO problem either! When the last time the U.S. government has ever been right in its projections? The track record is beyond dismal. When the government is selling Americans a bill of goods, they will tell us anything. Most politicians make used car salesmen look virtuous by comparison.

Boxcar

Cardus
12-28-2011, 10:21 PM
I am not reading any of the posts in this thread -- placing "George Will" in the thread title is sufficient for me to notice -- but ain't nobody in the PA universe equipped to effectively counter George Will.

Nobody.

He is one of the very few adults in the room discussing politics.

Tom
12-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Of course YOU are fine with THEM losing profit. But guess what? They won't lose profit. They will choose to cut their losses by cutting out the insurance for many that already have it by making them part time.

That was the whole point of Obama-care, wasn't it?
To FORCE people out of their employer plan and into the government plan?
It was NEVER about health care for anyone, but control of everyone.

elysiantraveller
12-28-2011, 10:51 PM

I have a family member that owns a staffing company currently employing over 2000 people. If HCR passes, as is, their company will not be able to survive.

Who should they fire?

boxcar
12-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I have a family member that owns a staffing company currently employing over 2000 people. If HCR passes, as is, their company will not be able to survive.

Who should they fire?

Everyone. After all, unemployment checks work wonders for the economy. Haven't you heard?

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
12-29-2011, 01:18 AM
I am not reading any of the posts in this thread -- placing "George Will" in the thread title is sufficient for me to notice -- but ain't nobody in the PA universe equipped to effectively counter George Will.

Nobody.

He is one of the very few adults in the room discussing politics.This has to be one of the least insightful posts I've read in quite some time...and that's saying a lot...

HUSKER55
12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
OK CARDUS, WE ARE WAITING...........WAITING..........WAITING.....

fast4522
12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
These people will try to defend their messiah with every last breath but it will not detract from the fact.

boxcar
12-29-2011, 12:36 PM
These people will try to defend their messiah with every last breath but it will not detract from the fact.

Wow! How the mighty have fallen. Going from the fourth best to the leastest best. :lol:

Boxcar

JustRalph
12-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Nobody.

He is one of the very few adults in the room discussing politics.

So why didn't you comment three weeks ago when the thread was started?

ElKabong
12-29-2011, 08:16 PM
If I had experts that could not give a more definitive answer, I would fire them. .

Sorry, but you don't own a business. Never have. You haven't put yourself in a position to make a decision one way or another when it comes to the topic discussed.

That's not a slam on you, just the honest truth.

Now, the guy cited in the article and people like him (business owners and entrepreneurs)---- do have decisions to make.

Greyfox
12-29-2011, 08:39 PM
If I had experts that could not give a more definitive answer, I would fire them. .

You'd better start with Obama. He never gives definitive answers (eg. shovel ready jobs).

fast4522
12-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Who is shovel ready?