PDA

View Full Version : Oaklawn drops wagering amounts

toussaud
12-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Robert Yates - Arkansas DemGaz

Classix now $1 wager Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs has lowered the minimum wager on three multirace bets for the 2012 live meeting that begins Jan. 13.
The minimum wager for the Classix has been reduced from $2 to $1.
The minimum wager for the Pick 4 and Pick 3 has been reduced from $1 to 50 cents.
The Arkansas Racing Commission approved Oaklawn’s request to lower the minimums during its regularly scheduled meeting Wednesday morning in Little Rock.
David Longinotti, Oaklawn’s assistant general manager/ racing, said track officials believe lowering the minimums could spur more interest in the wagers.
“That’s our hope,” Longinotti told the commission.
Mutuel handle on the Classix, which requires bettors to select the winners of races 3-8, has tumbled dramatically in recent years.
It accounted for less than 1 percent of total on-track handle — a little more than $40 million — during the 2011 live meeting.
The Pick 3 requires bettors to select the winners of three consecutive races.
The Pick 4 requires bettors to select the winners of four consecutive winners.
Longinotti told the commission that if lowering the minimums on the Classix, Pick 3 and Pick 4 generates more wagering interest in 2012, Oaklawn will consider adding additional multirace bets in the future.
Making the grade
Oaklawn’s graded stakes races for the 2012 season:
GRADE I (2) $1 million Arkansas Derby, $500,000 Apple Blossom Handicap
GRADE II (3) $500,000 Rebel Stakes, $350,000 Oaklawn Handicap, $300,000 Fantasy Stakes
GRADE III (5) $250,000 Southwest Stakes, $200,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap, $150,000 Azeri Stakes, $125,000 Honeybee Stakes, $125,000 Razorback Handicap
No graded changes
Oaklawn will again have 10 graded stakes races during the 2012 live meeting that begins Jan. 13.
All of the races will carry the same grade as 2011.
The American Graded Stakes Committee assigned Grade I status — the highest grade — to the $500,000 Apple Blossom Handicap and the $1 million Arkansas Derby.
Retaining Grade II status are the $350,000 Oaklawn Handicap, $300,000 Fantasy Stakes and the Rebel Stakes, which has been raised from $300,000 to $500,000.
The $250,000 Southwest Stakes, $200,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap, $150,000 Azeri Stakes, $125,000 Honeybee Stakes and $125,000 Razorback Handicap remain Grade III events. “They seem to be trying to put a stricter limit on the number of graded stakes races,” said David Longinotti, Oaklawn’s assistant general manager/racing. “I’m just glad we didn’t lose any.”
Rocket Man
Macho Rocket earned a 77 Beyer speed figure for his front-running debut victory by a neck Sunday at Hollywood Park in suburban Los Angeles.
Owned by Frank Fletcher of North Little Rock, Macho Rocket ran 6 furlongs in 1:10.02 over a synthetic surface.
The gray son of Macho Uno, an $825,000 purchase earlier this year, marked Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert’s first starter for Fletcher.
“He said he is a fast … I can’t even tell you the words he said,” Fletcher said, recounting a phone conversation with Baffert after the race. “He said he is very fast.”
Fletcher said the first major goal for Macho Rocket next year is the $250,000 Grade III Southwest Stakes on Feb. 20 at Oaklawn.
Baffert is also preparing Fletcher’s Senor Hambone, an unstarted 2-year-old Hard Spun colt, for his career debut in Southern California.
Fletcher purchased Senor Hambone for $675,000 earlier this year.
“He’s going to be a two-turn horse, for sure,” Fletcher said. “He’s bigger and stronger and may be a better shot for a mile and eighth, whatever, than the other horse.”
Fletcher purchased both horses in April at the Ocala Breeders’ Sales Company’s spring sale of 2-year-olds in training.
On the grounds
There were 344 horses at Oaklawn Saturday morning, said David Longinotti, Oaklawn’s assistant general manager/racing.
Trainers with horses stabled in Hot Springs include Donnie K. Von Hemel, Gary “Red Dog” Hartlage, Dan Peitz and Tim Ritchey.

R

JustRalph
12-05-2011, 12:08 AM
My kingdom for a carriage return

jelly
12-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Hate the 50 cents pk3 and tri.

horses4courses
12-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh yeah.......PK6
Sorry, but I've never played a PK6 at OP in my life - or even considered it.

If I recall, wasn't Oaklawn the last of the major tracks to expand their wagering menu beyond exactas and an early double?

I'm glad to see that they are tweaking things, though. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
12-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Much ado about nothing.

forced89
12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I usually spend 2 1/2 to 3 months at Oaklawn every year. Although the track is old, attendance on weekends is large. It is amazing the number of great horses I have had the opportunity to see run at Oaklawn Park.

toussaud
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Much ado about nothing.
much ado about nothing? hell last year their supers were still $2 dollars. Them and woodbine us pools are the only 2 traqcks i know that still had the nerve to ask for 2 dollars to play a superfecta. this is a long time coming

NTamm1215
12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
much ado about nothing? hell last year their supers were still $2 dollars. Them and woodbine us pools are the only 2 traqcks i know that still had the nerve to ask for 2 dollars to play a superfecta. this is a long time coming

They've actually had dime supers for years.

It is not much ado about nothing because the decreased minimum in the PK 4 makes it much more playable given the necessity to spread deep in the wide-open races at Oaklawn. The only people who would say tracks lowering minimums in an attempt to get more bettors involved in pools are the ones who don't bet. Case in point, this very thread.

thaskalos
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I hate it when tracks fail to adjust with the times...and persist in limiting our wagering options in a race.

Oaklawn lowers the wagering amounts in order to "spur more interest" in their exotic bets...and yet, they only offer the superfecta on their final race.

Makes sense, I guess...

thaskalos
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
The only people who would say tracks lowering minimums in an attempt to get more bettors involved in pools are the ones who don't bet. Case in point, this very thread.

Do you mean that the tracks who are introducing these 10-cent supers, 50-tris, and 50-cent pick-3s...are NOT doing it to "get more bettors involved in the pools"?

NTamm1215
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Do you mean that the tracks who are introducing these 10-cent supers, 50-tris, and 50-cent pick-3s...are NOT doing it to "get more bettors involved in the pools"?

I'm pretty sure they offer three supers per day and they've offered them for a dime for years.

What I was trying to say above was that the people who think it's inconsequential for tracks to lower minimums in an attempt to get more people involved are the ones who don't bet.

toussaud
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
They've actually had dime supers for years.

It is not much ado about nothing because the decreased minimum in the PK 4 makes it much more playable given the necessity to spread deep in the wide-open races at Oaklawn. The only people who would say tracks lowering minimums in an attempt to get more bettors involved in pools are the ones who don't bet. Case in point, this very thread.
shhiiit.. not oaklawn. this is my home track. at least via xpressbet, it's a 2 dollar min on tri's, supers, class six, exacta, pretty much everything.. them and woodbine

there is an apex, between the amount of money wagered and the potential payout, that has to be a perfect number. the class six could have a 5 day carry over and it might, might, be a 150k carryover. horrible pool. the reason being is the price to play is too high to warrant playing.

in a perfect world, the wager amount would be in direct correlation with the field size. I have no problem with 2 dollar supers on 7 horse races. but on a 15 horse field, come on man.

NTamm1215
12-05-2011, 04:32 PM
shhiiit.. not oaklawn. this is my home track. at least via xpressbet, it's a 2 dollar min on tri's, supers, class six, exacta, pretty much everything.. them and woodbine

there is an apex, between the amount of money wagered and the potential payout, that has to be a perfect number. the class six could have a 5 day carry over and it might, might, be a 150k carryover. horrible pool. the reason being is the price to play is too high to warrant playing.

in a perfect world, the wager amount would be in direct correlation with the field size. I have no problem with 2 dollar supers on 7 horse races. but on a 15 horse field, come on man.

Oaklawn had 10 cent supers last year and for years before that.

Cardus
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm pretty sure they offer three supers per day and they've offered them for a dime for years.

What I was trying to say above was that the people who think it's inconsequential for tracks to lower minimums in an attempt to get more people involved are the ones who don't bet.

Is it worth the effort?

affirmedny
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Hate the 50 cents pk3 and tri.

So keep playing them for $1 or $2.........