PDA

View Full Version : That did not look good...spill in AQU 9...

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Saying a prayer for Jorge Chavez right now...

098poi
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
That was very ugly! My prayers are with him.

Turkoman
12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
My God, I hope he's ok. It looked like the horse was all over him. That was definitely a nasty one, from what I saw.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I just watched the replay...he didn't move a muscle after the horses were well clear...this one just looks really bad...

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Just got word...nothing official though...conscious...banged up and being brought to North Shore Hospital...which if true is a good sign because that is definitely not the closest hospital to Aqueduct.

FantasticDan
12-04-2011, 04:38 PM
According to Dave Grening, he's complaining of left shoulder pain but otherwise stable. Horse is OK. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Johnny V
12-04-2011, 04:44 PM
It is unbelievable how these jockeys survive these kind of falls. I am glad he is in stable condition, lets hope it is nothing serious and he recovers fully.

1GCFAN
Very tough to watch. Good bless..

PaceAdvantage
Wow...that Chavez doesn't seem to be severely injured and the horse is ok...that's amazing...

These jocks have balls of steel...as much as we criticize them...balls of steel...

lamboguy
12-04-2011, 04:47 PM
thank god he will be alright. this is a dangerous business. every time a rider is on the back of a horse he is at big risk.

Broad Brush
12-04-2011, 05:27 PM
I just got home from Thistle and thought too that it was bad for Jorge.

Checked DRF & NYRA...nothing.

Should have known to come here first!!!

Thanks to those who posted updates, feel much better now.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Actually, Dave Grening was tweeting about it at 4:27 right on the front page of drf.com:

DRFGrening Chavez complaining of left shoulder pain, taken to North Shore University Hospital. He's stable.
Today at 4:34pm

DRFGrening Jorge Chavez taken off Aqu turf course on stretcher after Silver Mast takes bad step at 1-4-pole of nightcap. Horse appears OK Today at 4:27pm

RXB
12-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Great to hear that Chavez isn't too badly hurt. My heart was in my mouth when I saw the horse roll right onto him.

Shelby
12-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Good to hear. Thanks for all of the updates.

big frank
12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
The way Tom Durkin sounded i thought it was going to be tragic.It sounded like he was about to cry. Thank god it sounds good.

BombsAway Bob
12-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Wow...that Chavez doesn't seem to be severely injured and the horse is ok...that's amazing...

These jocks have balls of steel...as much as we criticize them...balls of steel...
from the Twitterverse~

@dgrening -David Grening
Jorge Chavez suffered a broken collar bone,
according to his agent, David Grace.
Out at least 5 months.

PaceAdvantage
12-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Hate to say good news, because a broken collar bone and out five months is never good, but considering the first impressions that spill left, it's good news...

horses4courses
12-05-2011, 12:13 AM
from the Twitterverse~

@dgrening -David Grening
Jorge Chavez suffered a broken collar bone,
according to his agent, David Grace.
Out at least 5 months.

Must be a bad collar bone break.....those generally heal in around 2 months.

Paseana
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
There's no athlete anywhere out there that's more fearless and more resilient than a jockey.

Some are better than others, and even the best of them make mistakes, but they are all deserving of our respect.

We talk about all the factors that drive this sport, mostly focusing on owners and players, with a little bit of racetracks thrown in there. We forget about jockeys. The game obviously can't exist without them, and they are the only ones that literally lay their lives on the line to make it go.

I've been playing this game for over 30 years, and it took me about an hour to recover from seeing that horse roll over Jorge Chavez today, and when I came home, I was almost afraid to log in to the internet, fearing that I would find out that he had been killed.

Come to find out, he had pain in his shoulder and nothing else.

He gets up to fight another day, and to lay his life on the line, at 50 years of age, again.......

toetoe
12-05-2011, 07:29 AM
The way Tom Durkin sounded i thought it was going to be tragic.It sounded like he was about to cry. Thank god it sounds good.

Not necessarily to worry: he's always either crying or singing.

FantasticDan
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-chavez-injured-spill-out-five-months

Chavez was expected to miss a minimum of five months after sustaining a fractured left collar bone, five broken ribs, and two fractured vertebrae... Chavez, who was in stable condition and has movement in all of his extremities, said he was to undergo surgery Tuesday to have a metal plate inserted into the collar bone. Doctors told Chavez the broken ribs and two fractured vertebrae would heal on their own.