PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Gulfstream Park

CryingForTheHorses
12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Havent seen any posts pertaining to the opening day at Gulfstream Park.Looks like they had the track harder then the pavement that we walk on..A first time starter a 2yo breaking the 5 1/2 track record in 102 and change.The 2yo stake going in 108 and change..Looks like they had a decent crowd as the weather was perfect.

Tom
12-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Same old joke of a track, I see.

Tampa opened - no interest in GP....ever.

jelly
12-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I noticed it still takes them forever to show the payouts.

BIG49010
12-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Havent seen any posts pertaining to the opening day at Gulfstream Park.Looks like they had the track harder then the pavement that we walk on..A first time starter a 2yo breaking the 5 1/2 track record in 102 and change.The 2yo stake going in 108 and change..Looks like they had a decent crowd as the weather was perfect.

The firster is a very well bred Pletcher horse who probably is a stakes horse in the making. The 2yr old stake was run rather true to form. I didn't notice any real bias all day, and I would assume the handle was great in comparison to CRC at this time of year. The 1 1/16 mile dirt races were not won by inside speed, one was a horse who was last going down the backside.

Interesting jockey colony also, with several of the regulars from Tampa joining the colony. Rocco and Rose are good riders also.

All in all, I think this is going to be great for Florida racing.

I didn't see any coverage of Tampa on either TVG or HRTV?

Robert Fischer
12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I've read that Gulfstream is going to be running 8.5Furlong routes this year.

Shorter stretch finish line?

Starting with more room to the 1st turn than 9F.

I've got got mixed emotions here. Losing a profitable bias spot-play (perhaps with some new lesser bias with the shortened stretch?), but overall more horses should be playable in these races.

Tom
12-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Two finish lines.
What could go wrong with that?

Robert Fischer
12-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Two finish lines.

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong". :eek:

also, i'll have to take a look at Oaklawn (who does the 2 finish line thing on routes) and see if there is anything to be learned.
You would assume a shorter stretch would favor speed. Sometimes you have the short stretch (and here the race distance is 1/2F shorter = 8.5f) and the pace and race-dynamics can get heated...

TBH I don't have a ton of general maxims @ different stretch lengths. I do prefer long stretches. However I judge a bias(if any) on what i see lately.

PhantomOnTour
12-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Until last season FG used to have two finish lines.
The 1m races used to end at the 16th pole.

Robert Fischer
12-03-2011, 11:49 PM

happen to notice any bias ?

PhantomOnTour
12-03-2011, 11:56 PM
happen to notice any bias ?
I can't share that info with a Bama fan :D

Robert Fischer
12-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I can't share that info with a Bama fan :D

hahahah :D ... laughing out loud

toussaud
12-04-2011, 12:10 AM
over looked in all this hoopla is the shaft tampa bay downs is getting. tVG isn't covering them AT ALL this year, and HRTV never really expect on Wednesdays or something like that when the fair grounds and oaklawn weren't running.

this is why I hate TVG. they could give 2 shits about the betting public. they are just going to roll with hawthrone and sunland park all winter long just to stick it to tampa bay downs

Striker
12-04-2011, 01:11 AM
The firster is a very well bred Pletcher horse who probably is a stakes horse in the making. The 2yr old stake was run rather true to form. I didn't notice any real bias all day, and I would assume the handle was great in comparison to CRC at this time of year. The 1 1/16 mile dirt races were not won by inside speed, one was a horse who was last going down the backside.

Interesting jockey colony also, with several of the regulars from Tampa joining the colony. Rocco and Rose are good riders also.

All in all, I think this is going to be great for Florida racing.

I didn't see any coverage of Tampa on either TVG or HRTV?
The firster is also a 1/2 brother to Travelin Man.

tbwinner
12-04-2011, 01:20 AM
I was at Gulfstream today, BIG crowd...could not move anywhere on the apron and betting lines were 5-6 deep 5MTP. Gave a guy Paco Lopez's horse in the 8th, just got up to win at 5-1. A lot bigger crowd than one Friday and Saturday I was there earlier in March. Had a good time, I am heading back tomorrow again.

BIG49010
12-04-2011, 03:31 AM

Same idea at GP with the finish line at 1/16th pole, Arlington does this now, and I think Keeneland has done it for years. In one of the races the horse came from last to first.

BIG49010
12-04-2011, 03:40 AM
I was at Gulfstream today, BIG crowd...could not move anywhere on the apron and betting lines were 5-6 deep 5MTP. Gave a guy Paco Lopez's horse in the 8th, just got up to win at 5-1. A lot bigger crowd than one Friday and Saturday I was there earlier in March. Had a good time, I am heading back tomorrow again.

I'm glad that they had a big day, based on the numbers I saw, they should generate some big increases this year in handle. For me December was a month off for many years, this year I took off November and waited for this meeting to start. I have always liked the Gulfstream meeting, but I like it better with less overlap of the other tracks I play in April. I think the horseman like it this way also, and based on the entries so far it appears they have big numbers in South Florida.

Valuist
12-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Same idea at GP with the finish line at 1/16th pole, Arlington does this now, and I think Keeneland has done it for years. In one of the races the horse came from last to first.

The 1 1/16 mile races at AP and the 1 mile races at OP are a joke. Its all inside speed in those races. Even on the tiring Poly surface at AP, very difficult to win an 8.5f race there without being on or near the lead.

magwell
12-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I was there all day it was great......:cool:

cj
12-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Two finish lines.
I'm sure the timer should be entertaining.

Tom
12-04-2011, 12:20 PM
DRF will have to publish alternate Beyers....

Beyer.....Other Beyer

:lol:

Robert Fischer
12-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm sure the timer should be entertaining.

Ay dios mio ! :eek:

so true

JustRalph
12-04-2011, 01:18 PM
don't they have trakus now? they will find a way to screw that up too.....I am sure

mannyberrios
12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Two finish lines.
What could go wrong with that?You win twice

nijinski
12-05-2011, 12:20 AM
The firster is also a 1/2 brother to Travelin Man.

Good thing for Discreet Dancer's Dam , West Side Dancer. Those two were her only foals I believe .
Discreet Dancer has his own Facebook page already . :lol: The owners of FB
need to give back to Pletcher for all the exposure.
BTW Striker not poking fun of your post , glad you brought my attention to
DD's and TM's dam.