PDA

View Full Version : Donovan McNabb -Player of the Month. Rush .....

bettheoverlay
12-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Donovan, fully recovered from the broken leg and other nagging injuries, had a QB rating over 100 for the month. Eagles won their 8th in a row today scoring 36 against #1 defense. And the Eagle defense is rated 24th in the league.

And Rush.... well I won't kick an overrated white talk show host when he's down.

Maybe there is a God after all!

Tom
12-07-2003, 05:08 PM
This is it...no more wasting Sudnay afternoons watching NFL games - they suck, the league is a pathetic joke and they don't give a damn about the fans.
I refer to a totally, senseless, ridciculous rule that cuts away from an early game to cover the kick off of the second game, no matter what.
Today's installment of steroid madness was the Colts-Titans, arguabley two of the best teams in the league. Score 29-21, Titans just complete a pass to the 1 yard line, going for the TF and 2 point for a tie......but Noooooooooooo!
NFL cuts away to matke sure the kick off of the Jets-Bills games is not missed. Like anyone cares. The Bills....the poorest excuse for a football team I have ever seen taking on the perenial losers, the New Jersey Jets. Together, their wins make up the Colts. Two teams going nowhere fast. Two teams who are stealing the payroll every weak. One team lying about what state it is from and the other pinning thier hopes on garbage that the Patriots put out for the trashman (Bledsoe-washed up has-been with no heart, no arm, no eye and no ledership).
Two teams that bring nothing to the table week after week. Two teams that if they were allowed to play until next June would not have winning records. Two miserable, nothing teams, but you have to broadcast that kickoff. What is so mystical about the kick-off? Both seasons are already over. The Bills season was over when they had the first kickoff back in September. They were out of it in July. The Jets were out of it in 2001. The Loser Bowl. They should charge this bunch of losers parking while they practice.
The NFL sucks.
And I have watched my last game.
Good riddence.
:mad:

JustRalph
12-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by bettheoverlay
Donovan, fully recovered from the broken leg and other nagging injuries, had a QB rating over 100 for the month. Eagles won their 8th in a row today scoring 36 against #1 defense. And the Eagle defense is rated 24th in the league.

And Rush.... well I won't kick an overrated white talk show host when he's down. Maybe there is a God after all!

Interesting post........

I believe if you read the transcript of what Rush said you would find that his comments were about members of the media mostly. That they have an interest in promoting black quarterbacks. He said that Mcnabb was over rated. I don't so much disagree with that. You see I don't think the numbers from week to week really mean that much. They are a good indicator of consistent performance, I will grant you that. But the real meat of the game is making it to the playoffs and ultimately the Super Bowl. The quarterbacks that have done that are the real leaders. The rest are number crunchers in my opine. The guys who put a ring on their teammates fingers are the really good ones. No matter how long their careers last. There are holes in that theory too (Kurt Warner) but if you asked these guys who have played the longest with great numbers etc, if they would trade those numbers for a Super Bowl ring? Many would say yes. Terry Bradshaw would probably be the ultimate in the leadership category. Steve Mcnair is probably the best quarterback in the NFL if you ask me. I don't know where he rates in the QB ratings, but he is a leader. He came within an inch of winning a Super Bowl in a year where that team was carried by Eddie George and Mcnair. Peyton Manning seems to be rounding out as a good one too.

They are all overpaid, but the free market works. Unless you talk about hiring coaches. The NFL forces teams to interview coaching candidates that are black. They get away with it because it is agreed upon by the NFL owners. It wouldn't fly in a court in a million years. So the NFL is different and does show more than a passing interest in blacks being coaches.

The subject of kicking Rush when he is down is interesting. You invoke God as if a great deity swept in and in a smiting blow taught Rush a lesson. Get real. Rush Limbaugh has made it to where he is (Rich as hell, the most popular radio type in the history of the medium, successful author, etc..etc..) because he says what he feels and very often (most of the time) his audience feels the same. The drug problems are portrayed as a character issue by those who don't agree with him. The mainstream media has waited a long time to go after him. The odd part is that when Robert Downey Jr. and hundreds of other Hollwood types are arrested and act out in a manner that portray obvious character flaws and not to mention incredible disregard for the law. They are written about as victims and they are described as having an illness. The media left screams about the indecency of laws that punish those who "have an illness". The media will scream about the folly of punishing those with a sickness. I am sure the first time Robert Downey Jr. used an illicit drug it wasn't due to a medical condition or to relieve pain. Yet he is " a gifted actor and artist that was experimenting with the world around him" I actually heard that on some talk show back in the day. These are the same type of talk shows that describe Christopher Reeve as a god like person now. Chris Matthews called him "a wonderfully gifted actor who suffered an injury at the prime of his career" when in reality he couldn't get a leading role on Murder She Wrote not long before he was injured. He was doing "B" movies but he was working.

Rush Limbaugh got addicted to pain killers due to a real medical condition and let it get out of hand. He screwed up and I don't provide him any slack for it. He disappointed me. A guy as sharp as he shouldn't have let it happen. But he is being treated differently than others who have screwed up with drugs. That is obvious. That treatment is not due to a heavenly deity who has decided to smite him from above. It is due to a media driven by agenda and politics. Plain and simple.

I find it odd that you described him as a "white talk show host" was that in jest? Overrated is an interesting term also. His show has more listeners than any other in the world. How could he possibly be overrated? Do you think of persons first in color? Interesting way of describing him. Let me see, if I thought that way I could make statements like "98% percent of the persons I arrested for violent crimes in a 12 year period were black, blacks are responsible for 98% of violent crime" although the FBI reports that 47% percent of violent crime is committed by a black male between the ages 13 and 48, since 1966 anyway. For a group that makes up about 11% of the population it screams some meaning doesn't it? You will notice that you don't see anybody quoting that stat on television do you? I hope you were speaking in jest when you called Rush a "White Talk show host". You can see that when we start breaking down things into colors and racial boundaries, things get a little warped.

JustRalph
just another short wide white guy with a negative roi

Tom
12-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Very well put.

Secretariat
12-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Interesting post........

I believe if you read the transcript of what Rush said you would find that his comments were about members of the media mostly. That they have an interest in promoting black quarterbacks. He said that Mcnabb was over rated. I don't so much disagree with that. You see I don't think the numbers from week to week really mean that much. They are a good indicator of consistent performance, I will grant you that. But the real meat of the game is making it to the playoffs and ultimately the Super Bowl. The quarterbacks that have done that are the real leaders. The rest are number crunchers in my opine. The guys who put a ring on their teammates fingers are the really good ones. No matter how long their careers last.

...So the NFL is different and does show more than a passing interest in blacks being coaches.

I hope you were speaking in jest when you called Rush a "White Talk show host". You can see that when we start breaking down things into colors and racial boundaries, things get a little warped.

JustRalph
just another short wide white guy with a negative roi

Secretariat
12-07-2003, 07:35 PM
I put the above quote on a post all by itself because it is unbeleivable.

I suppose Dan Marino or Fran Tarkenton were pretty crummy quarterbacks just like McNabb, huh? Jeez. I suppose Ernie Banks was a bad player because his team never won the pennant. To make that kind of broad statement about quarterbacks having to win the playoffs and super bowls is ridiculous. A team is never one player.

The rest of the diatribe is totally contradictory. One minute you're praising Rush for calling it like it is because there's a vested interest in "pushing black coaches", then you're upset when the previous poster mentioned that Rush was a "white" talk show host. Even by your post you state that Limbaugh called Donovan a "black" quarterback. Or is Rush the only one allowed to use racial adjectives.

But I realize JustRalph you would defend Rush Limbaugh no matter what he did. That to me is the real travesty.

bettheoverlay
12-07-2003, 07:47 PM
JR

I was really just enjoying a big win by the team I root for. And getting a dig in at Rush for his comments about Donovan when he was down. Weak attempt at ironic humor. I don't know much about media conspiracies, and partisan politics make me ill.

JustRalph
12-07-2003, 08:54 PM
I suggest you read my post again...let me try to clear it up a little.

Originally posted by Secretariat
I suppose Dan Marino or Fran Tarkenton were pretty crummy quarterbacks just like McNabb, huh? Jeez. I suppose Ernie Banks was a bad player because his team never won the pennant. To make that kind of broad statement about quarterbacks having to win the playoffs and super bowls is ridiculous. A team is never one player.

I never said quarterbacks who don't make it to the playoffs or Superbowl are "bad Players" where the hell did you get that? I said they were different than the rest. They were leaders of a different type. Ernie Banks was a great player, and baseball is a wholly different game that can't be judged the same way

The rest of the diatribe is totally contradictory. One minute you're praising Rush for calling it like it is because there's a vested interest in "pushing black coaches", then you're upset when the previous poster mentioned that Rush was a "white" talk show host. Even by your post you state that Limbaugh called Donovan a "black" quarterback. Or is Rush the only one allowed to use racial adjectives.

Boy you read into things don't you? I didn't praise him, I made a statement as to why he is successful. If I was praising him I would have said something along the lines of " and I think it's great" that he tells it like it is. Don't be mistaken, I do like the way he thinks on about 85-90% percent of the issues. But you can read it however you want. As for my mention of race it was along the same lines as the original post. I think it was obvious to others that I was calling attention to the mention of race in the original posting by pointing out two absurd examples. The NFL forcing owners to interview blacks and my statement about crime rates. You didn't get it.

But I realize JustRalph you would defend Rush Limbaugh no matter what he did. That to me is the real travesty.

Get real, I think for myself and have disagreed with him in the past. Just like I disagree with you......when you use the word travesty.....in what form are you expressing it....is my writing a travesty .........or just my position, or both? you seem to not be too specific about which you disagree with.....

Main Entry: 2travesty
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: obsolete English travesty disguised, parodied, from French travesti, past participle of travestir to disguise, from Italian travestire, from tra- across (from Latin trans-) + vestire to dress, from Latin -- more at VEST
Date: 1674
1 : a burlesque translation or literary or artistic imitation usually grotesquely incongruous in style, treatment, or subject matter
2 : a debased, distorted, or grossly inferior imitation <a travesty of justice>
synonym see CARICATURE

JustRalph
12-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Very well put.

Thanks Tom

I have received two compliments from you this weekend and it's the best thing that happen to me this weekend. I know you get it.

Bettheoverlay
On the original post, I saw where you were coming from, but it was a little ambiguous and open for further study (obviously) and I turned it into a discussion of more import, but some things have to be said. Leave the door open and every once in a while somebody might walk in................I was just inciting a little dialogue........no offense intended.

cj
12-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Greatest QBs: Unitas, Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, Elway. What do they have in common...Championships. Dan Fouts was a good player, fun to watch. So was Fran Tarkenton, and Dan Marino. But they are not in the class of those above, because they weren't champs. QBs are the focal point of the team. The truly great ones have something that can't be defined by statistics. I'm not saying McNabb isn't a great one. We just don't know yet. In the old days, he might still be carrying a clipboard around or just now getting his first shot at leading the team. QBs weren't thrown to the wolves back then. He is learning on the fly. Time will tell!

sq764
12-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Bettheoverlay, I live in Delaware and am 25 mins from Lincoln field, so you know I love the Eagles.. And I think Mcnabb is one of the most exciting QB's in the league, period. BUT..

1) Until he wins or even gets to a superbowl, he will still be in a second tier behind current QB's like Favre, even Bledsoe and Brady..

2) He's not the only one.. There are so many young overrated QB's its not funny - Aaron Brooks is just not good, Vick is talented but will never win anything, Manny is an excellent QB, but chokes every single year,

3) I think Mcnabb will get his Superbowl soon, maybe even this year, I think its KC, then the Eagles, Colts, Patriots and Titans, maybe the Rams..

4) One QB who i think is going to be fantastic is Chad Pennington.. He's going to be a good one, just wish the Jets would get a supporting cast for him.

MarylandPaul@HSH
12-08-2003, 10:58 AM
So....if winning a Superbowl is the yardstick by which we measure great quarterbacks, I'll be anxiously awaiting the hall of fame inductions of Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, and Jeff Hostetler.

Here's a stat for you: in 29 of the 37 Superbowls, the losing team has scored fewer than 20 points. Defense wins superbowls. To judge a player, even a quarterback, without considering the rest of the team and the organization, is just silly. Intangibles don't mean much when you're being sacked 8 times a game, or you have no running game, or your defense is a sieve.

MP

MarylandPaul@HSH
12-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by sq764
...Vick is talented but will never win anything

You taking action on that statement? :cool:

sq764
12-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Action? Sure..

What in the world do you think he'll ever win??

Lefty
12-08-2003, 12:21 PM
I was going to reply to this thread but JR, you said it all and elequently.

Valuist
12-08-2003, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't put Bradshaw in that class of top 5 QBs ever. He had a tremendous supporting cast; a fantastic defense; 2 Hall of Fame wide receivers and a Hall of Fame running back. I'm not saying he was bad because he was good, but he also was a product of the system.

MarylandPaul@HSH
12-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by sq764
Action? Sure..

What in the world do you think he'll ever win??
Vick has the biggest upside potential of any player in recent memory. If the Falcons can assemble a good defense, they're a contender. Remember what they did last year in Green Bay in the playoffs? In his rookie year? If he learns to read defenses and make good decisions with the ball, he's scary as hell. They don't even need a great running game...he's his own running game.

As good as he is, or can be, he'll need to be surrounded with some talent and have decent coaching...but if I were starting a team, he'd be my first pick.

Valuist
12-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Agree about Vick. But what will be interesting is how he reacts 5 years down the road when he starts to lose a step or two, or how handles his first concussion or two. Eventually he's going to have to learn to slide or he'll get hurt badly. He's already had one bad injury.

sq764
12-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Vick is talented, but he throw some God-awful passes at the worst times and kills them in crucial spots.

If I am in the crunch and want a QB to lead me to the promised land, there are about 7 QB's I would choose over Vick.

delayjf
12-09-2003, 12:06 PM
I'm a firm believer that in order to win championships in the NFL with the quarterback as your star player, a quarterback has to be able to win from the pocket. Until Vick learns to do that he will never make it to the Super Bowl, unless the Falcons can build a 85 Bears, 02 Bucks, 00 Ravens type defense around him. You can win a Super Bowl with an outstanding, dominating Defense and a average QB.