PDA

View Full Version : Grading the rookie QBs

Valuist
12-03-2011, 06:39 PM
4 of the top 12 picks in the 2011 draft were quarterbacks. But the top one so far, IMO, wasn't taken until the 2nd round:

1. Dalton-Bengals- 82 QB rating, 16-12 TD/INT ratio, 60% completion. The key here is expectations. Many felt the Bengals would be the worst team in the NFL this season but Dalton has been a big reason that opinion was dead wrong. Currently at 7-4. I do suspect his upside isn't as high as some but one will have to see next season. Grade: B+

2. Newton-Panthers--81 QB rating 12-14 TD/INT ratio, 61% completion. His numbers aren't too much different from Dalton but a lot of his numbers were piled up in the opening 2 games. He got a lot of publicity for those first two games but Carolina was playing catch-up behind soft prevents. Has more upside than Dalton but right now a little more mistake prone. Grade: B

3. Ponder-Vikings--73 QB rating 6-6 TD/INT ratio, 54% completion. Looks good on some throws; real bad on others. Will need to work on accuracy. When Peterson is out, not many weapons for him to work with. Grade: C-

4. Gabbert- Jaguars--62 QB rating 6-6 TD/INT ratio and miserable 48.5% completion pct. Shockingly low QB rating considering he hasn't thrown that many INTs. He just has no accuracy. Not a lot of weapons to work with, outside of Jones-Drew. Don't like what I've seen and we get to see more on Monday night. Grade: D-

Incomplete: Locker and Mallett

slew101
12-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Gabbert is absolutely horrible. I could not believe this guy was drafted so high. When was he ever impressive in college? True, he has no talent around him but he needed at least another year in college to even consider being in the NFL. Whoever drafted this guy should be fired, maybe it was Del Rio's call.

I would have taken Ryan Mallett over Gabbert in a second. He couldn't possibly be any worse.

And another person who should be fired. The NFL bright light who scheduled Jax for three prime time games this season. Who didn't expect that team to be 5-11 and they get two MNF games and a TNF game in 2 weeks. Ugh. :bang:

4. Gabbert- Jaguars--62 QB rating 6-6 TD/INT ratio and miserable 48.5% completion pct. Shockingly low QB rating considering he hasn't thrown that many INTs. He just has no accuracy. Not a lot of weapons to work with, outside of Jones-Drew. Don't like what I've seen and we get to see more on Monday night. Grade: D-

Robert Fischer
12-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Gabbert is absolutely horrible. I could not believe this guy was drafted so high. When was he ever impressive in college? True, he has no talent around him but he needed at least another year in college to even consider being in the NFL. Whoever drafted this guy should be fired, maybe it was Del Rio's call.

I would have taken Ryan Mallett over Gabbert in a second. He couldn't possibly be any worse.

And another person who should be fired. The NFL bright light who scheduled Jax for three prime time games this season. Who didn't expect that team to be 5-11 and they get two MNF games and a TNF game in 2 weeks. Ugh. :bang:

Forget parity for a minute, Jax is a small-market team.

Robert Fischer
12-03-2011, 10:20 PM
4 of the top 12 picks in the 2011 draft were quarterbacks. But the top one so far, IMO, wasn't taken until the 2nd round:

1. Dalton-Bengals- 82 QB rating, 16-12 TD/INT ratio, 60% completion. The key here is expectations. Many felt the Bengals would be the worst team in the NFL this season but Dalton has been a big reason that opinion was dead wrong. Currently at 7-4. I do suspect his upside isn't as high as some but one will have to see next season. Grade: B+

2. Newton-Panthers--81 QB rating 12-14 TD/INT ratio, 61% completion. His numbers aren't too much different from Dalton but a lot of his numbers were piled up in the opening 2 games. He got a lot of publicity for those first two games but Carolina was playing catch-up behind soft prevents. Has more upside than Dalton but right now a little more mistake prone. Grade: B

3. Ponder-Vikings--73 QB rating 6-6 TD/INT ratio, 54% completion. Looks good on some throws; real bad on others. Will need to work on accuracy. When Peterson is out, not many weapons for him to work with. Grade: C-

have to agree

might flip/flop Newton with Dalton but it is very close.

Newton has the look of a highlight player and I think Vick has already passed him the torch as most "exciting" QB.
Dalton has probably had a better season thus far.

pandy
12-03-2011, 11:35 PM
It's tough for Gabbert, Jacksonville has such a pathetic offense. There have been quite a few good QBs who were pretty bad in their rookie years. Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions, Terry Bradshaw was horrendous.

Robert Goren
12-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Both Dalton and Newton have done about as well as a rookie QB could do. Unless they get hurt, they will be starting , maybe elite, QBs in the NFL for a long time. The book is still out on the rest. I do think Ponder might turn out to be pretty good. The Viking are an aging team and have a ton of problems, so it might be several years for us to know.

Canarsie
12-04-2011, 08:07 AM
A year isn't really fair to grade them three would seem much more reasonable. Usually a rookie gets to start because their team is "pathetic".

If a gun was put to my head I would vote for Dalton only because he has Mike Brown as the GM. Next to Matt Millen he has to be the biggest handicap to having a successful team in the last ten years.

Robert Goren
12-04-2011, 08:14 AM
A year isn't really fair to grade them three would seem much more reasonable. Usually a rookie gets to start because their team is "pathetic".

If a gun was put to my head I would vote for Dalton only because he has Mike Brown as the GM. Next to Matt Millen he has to be the biggest handicap to having a successful team in the last ten years.Mike Brown is the NFL's answer to the NBA's Donald Sterling.

Valuist
12-04-2011, 09:21 AM
I did try to take into account the fact that they are rookies. If these were veteran QBs, each would be dropped by a full letter grade. One does expect continued development between the 1st and 2nd year, and even 2nd to 3rd year.

Bettowin
12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Ponder is an accurate passer. Problem for him is trying to force balls or misreading the defense. That will get better with experience. He also has absolutely nobody to throw to downfield. Very young receivers who are also learning. I expect him to be one of the top two from this year's rookie QB's 3-4 years down the road.