PDA

View Full Version : Apple

Valuist
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
I bought two puts last April (Jan 2012 expiration). Part of me wants to cash in now but w/a chart as broken as this one, have to think there's more downside. Hard to imagine a V-bottom from today.

So what will be the next cult-type stock to crash? My guess would be Lululemon. Wouldn't short it quite yet but it looks like a replay of Krispy Kreme, Crox and Netflix.

Watching LULU implode in early trading. I can't help but gloat a little bit. When I think of companies I mentioned above, makes one want to find a faddish-cult like stock to short.

So I'm driving in to work and the obvious comes into my head: Apple. What? How dare I think that? Apple is arguably the best consumer company in the world. Its users seem to all love the ipods, the cell phones and notebooks, as well as Macs. I have had an iPod for a number of years and its a great device. But those great products are all well factored into the giant market cap and stock price.

The stock has had a tremendous run for a number of years but it does seem to be experiencing some strong resistance around 400. It could just be consolidating; nothing can go up continuously.

So what's next? They figure to face increased competition w/the ipods, phones and notebooks. The one potential to move forward would be the enterprise market for the Macs. But that won't be easy.

So do I see it imploding soon? I guess the key word is soon. I would say no. But one can't help but wonder if the implosion is coming w/in the next 5 years. I am NOT saying the company will go out of business by any stretch but to believe the stock will continue to go up at the rate it had been for the past several years is very naive, IMO. If you don't own the stock outright (disclosure: I do still own shares) there's a good chance you do in mutual funds. All I'm saying is if your attitude is you would never sell AAPL, or never sell a fund that is heavily made up of AAPL, you are delusional. We've seen too many of these implosions over the years. Remember when we were told CSCO would be the biggest company in the world? Sure, they are still around but at 1/4 of the market cap.

chickenhead
12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
the stock I love to hate on is Amazon, they have been obscenely overpriced for years. Not that I do anything with it, I don't see a catalyst, they're just overpriced.

I'm preparing to buy leap puts on the Yen, that's the only new trade that really has my interest right now.

Valuist
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
the stock I love to hate on is Amazon, they have been obscenely overpriced for years. Not that I do anything with it, I don't see a catalyst, they're just overpriced.

I'm preparing to buy leap puts on the Yen, that's the only new trade that really has my interest right now.

I agree with you on Amazon. The brick and mortar big boxers are getting a bigger online presence. AMZN has had a number of big haircuts over the years. Recently on Fast Money they had a technical analyst on and he was very bearish on the near term for AMZN.

Valuist
02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Gonna sell AAPL tomorrow. Just gone too far, too fast. Way too far extended over the 50 day and 200 day moving averages. Looking for a decent pullback, and will re-enter around the 420 level.

Valuist
02-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Here's the AAPL chart showing the 200 day moving average. This stock is extremely overextended. Don't know when and where the top will be but the steeper the parabola, the more violent the correction.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=AAPL&t=1y&l=on&z=l&q=l&p=m200&a=&c=

lamboguy
02-15-2012, 11:56 AM
that stock is now on a short squeeze, and when its done with that it should revisit $370 area.

Valuist
02-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Only about 1% of the float is short although it had been behaving like a short squeeze.

Big reversal today. Flirted with the 525 level and closed the day under 500. May have sold at the right time.

lamboguy
02-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Only about 1% of the float is short although it had been behaving like a short squeeze.

Big reversal today. Flirted with the 525 level and closed the day under 500. May have sold at the right time.
wow, that's all the short interest in the stock is today, i remember when it was over 10% not to long ago.

this stock is ripe for a haircut.

on another note, gold miners are trading like there is no gold in their mines.