PDA

View Full Version : End of the line for The Claiming Crown??

KidCapper
11-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Only 39 entered in 5 races. One, The Rapid-Transit, didn't even fill.

cj
11-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Only 39 entered in 5 races. One, The Rapid-Transit, didn't even fill.

Sure sounds like the end at Fair Grounds at least.

bob60566
11-30-2011, 06:06 PM
In this day and age are there to many Racetracks in the USA.

Mac:)

captainhot
11-30-2011, 06:25 PM
This seemed to have a nice home at Canterbury, I don't know why they moved it to a track that's not an easy ship. I've always loved the idea, just think it would be better at a Mid-West track. Hawthorne would be a great location.

NJ Stinks
11-30-2011, 09:04 PM
This seemed to have a nice home at Canterbury, I don't know why they moved it to a track that's not an easy ship. I've always loved the idea, just think it would be better at a Mid-West track. Hawthorne would be a great location.

I like the idea of Hawthorne. :ThmbUp:

I like Canterbury too. What I don't understand is the lack of entries. :confused:

BIG49010
11-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I like the idea of Hawthorne. :ThmbUp:

I like Canterbury too. What I don't understand is the lack of entries. :confused:

Arlington maybe, not Hawthorne it's a dump with a CAPITAL D!

Visited the track for a Stake race a month ago.

Our horse won and my wife is in a wheel chair and we got stuck in the elevator on the way to the winners circle, and missed the picture. When we got to the circle, I couldn't get her down to it anyway. This track of all tracks needs to be closed!!

Tom
11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Who's brilliant idea was it to move from the middle of summer to this time of year? It's like having your 4th of July picnic the day after Thanksgiving, seeing how everyone is off work anyway!

DSB
12-01-2011, 10:42 AM
One thing that will eventually do the CC in is the fact that the purses aren't so great that people will be willing to ship halfway across the country for them.

Most of the horses that improved so vastly from their earlier claiming prices are either very high priced claimers or allowance horses now.

Why would I, as an owner/trainer, want to ship a thousand miles to run on a track my horse may not like for a purse that isn't much better than an allowance race she might be eligible for?

I'd rather run in a $60k - $80k allowance race with a short field over a surface I know my horse likes and avoid the long ship and associated costs.

Why would anyone do it? The only reason I can think of is bragging rights.

Not a good enough reason for me, personally.

OntheRail
12-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Maybe they should tie it in with the Breeder's Cup.... have the Claiming Crown run as a featured under card.

Canarsie
12-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Maybe they should tie it in with the Breeder's Cup.... have the Claiming Crown run as a featured under card.

I would find it hard to fathom an east coast trainer shipping a horse to Santa Anita if they did that.

speldedo
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Who's brilliant idea was it to move from the middle of summer to this time of year? It's like having your 4th of July picnic the day after Thanksgiving, seeing how everyone is off work anyway!

I couldn't agree more - timing is dumb. I heard the claiming crown was moving to the fairgrounds, but had no clue it was this weekend until today.
It can't be run the summer based on their dates, but closer to the end of the meet might have been better.

BIG49010
12-01-2011, 12:03 PM
You would think Churchill would spend a little money for promotion, I haven't seen or heard anything, except this thread.

DSB
Maybe a better venue would be Turfway or Churchill.

At least anyone east of the Mississippi would likely consider it....

OntheRail
I would find it hard to fathom an east coast trainer shipping a horse to Santa Anita if they did that.
Well maybe they could get CXS or some other transportation service to sponsor it and offer discount shipping. ;)