PDA

View Full Version : Obama makes a gaffe ?

JustRalph
11-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Might be nitpicking........but the article makes the point that if someone else had done it.........it would be a big deal

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/11/29/does-obama-know-the-difference-between-great-britain-and-england/

If Sarah Palin had done this........... it would be front page news

DJofSD
11-30-2011, 03:23 PM
I can hear the response now: whatever.

Tom
11-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Herman Obama.

FantasticDan
11-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Jeez, talk about reaching for "criticism". It's an exceedingly minor gaffe that he corrects in the very next sentence. :rolleyes:

ArlJim78
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Jeez, talk about reaching for "criticism". It's an exceedingly minor gaffe that he corrects in the very next sentence. :rolleyes:
I'm not so sure that calling it the United Kingdom embassy is really much better.

he is one gaffe after another, has been for years, thats why he reads off of the prompter because when he goes rogue he ends up insulting people or simply getting things wrong.

remember we're told that the man is a genius, the brightest person ever to hold public office in the history of the country.

rastajenk
11-30-2011, 04:15 PM
He even sounds uninformed when he makes prepared remarks, like he just got briefed on the topic five minutes before going on. Especially when he talks about average Americans and their values. That's why the birther stuff had legs for so long. He makes basic American knowledge sound like something he just read about.

redshift1
11-30-2011, 04:56 PM

The obsession with Obama knows no bounds:

" A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Emerson

bigmack
11-30-2011, 05:22 PM
That's right. Don't deem BO a moron by his gaffes. Rather judge him by his record in office. Compared to his gaffes, his actual record makes him the biggest buffoon of all time.

As I mentioned months ago, when it became clear he could no longer spend gobs of dough, his zest for the job went out the window.

cj's dad
11-30-2011, 05:48 PM

" A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Emerson

I think it would be very interesting to see the level of "defense" if BHO were a Caucasian.

mostpost
11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Emerson
I wish I had said that. Emerson's words are a perfect characterization of the right's attitude toward Obama. Nitpicking to the power of infinity.

And I learned something from your post. I always thought that quote was from Shakespeare.

bigmack
11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
I wish I had said that. Emerson's words are a perfect characterization of the right's attitude toward Obama. Nitpicking to the power of infinity.
Not only does the quote have NOTHING to do with any point he was trying to make it certainly has nothing to do with nitpicking.

'A foolish consistency' wraps up your world nicely. It has to do with looking at things with fresh eyes.

I'll leave it up to Redshaft to explain how the quip has anything to do with criticizing someone for a gaffe.

mostpost
11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Not only does the quote have NOTHING to do with any point he was trying to make it certainly has nothing to do with nitpicking.

'A foolish consistency' wraps up your world nicely. It has to do with looking at things with fresh eyes.

I'll leave it up to Redshaft to explain how the quip has anything to do with criticizing someone for a gaffe.
I think it applies to the way you guys consistently find insignificant matters for which to criticize Obama.
He said England not Great Britain.
He doesn't wear a flag pin in his lapel
He said 57 states
He said Hawaii is in Asia.
Blah! Blah! Blah!

Redshift's use of the quote is quite proper in my opinion.

Greyfox
11-30-2011, 06:37 PM
He said Hawaii is in Asia.

Sadly, you agreed with him on that as posted elsewhere in this forum. :lol:

rastajenk
11-30-2011, 07:09 PM
There's nothing foolish about getting facts right consistently. I would guess that Emerson was referring to changing opinions or interpreting facts differently over time, something that, I believe, The One is entirely incapable of doing; which makes him the foolish one, not his detractors.

NJ Stinks
11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Might be nitpicking........

Ralph, did you really need to use the word "Might"?

One good thing about these head-scratching threads is that it verifies that you guys feel about as good about Obama as I did GWB. If Barack is re-elected, I almost feel like we are even. Almost.

FantasticDan
11-30-2011, 07:51 PM
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Emerson

That's a great quote, but I'll still take Lake and Palmer over him any day.. ;)

JustRalph
11-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Ralph, did you really need to use the word "Might"?

One good thing about these head-scratching threads is that it verifies that you guys feel about as good about Obama as I did GWB. If Barack is re-elected, I almost feel like we are even. Almost.

did you notice the question mark in the thread title........... ?

NJ Stinks
11-30-2011, 08:55 PM
did you notice the question mark in the thread title........... ?

Yea, I did.

Tell me you didn't start this thread to bust chops - Democratic chops. :(

We would never do this to you guys! :lol:

Tom
11-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Must be that Damn Bush is operating the teleprompter, you remember that, Obama's portable mind? :lol:

DJofSD
12-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I wonder if Obama has ever bowed to his teleprompter.

johnhannibalsmith
12-01-2011, 11:27 AM

Emerson

From the reputable ABC News via omnipresent Yahoo...

http://news.yahoo.com/us-embassy-iran-michele-bachmann-oops-moment-002030317.html

I know, I know... it's unbelievable the way one side just attacks over the silliest, most trivial of things.

Robert Goren
12-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Might be nitpicking........but the article makes the point that if someone else had done it.........it would be a big deal

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/11/29/does-obama-know-the-difference-between-great-britain-and-england/

If Sarah Palin had done this........... it would be front page newsNo, it wouldn't and you know it.

NJ Stinks
12-01-2011, 03:15 PM
From the reputable ABC News via omnipresent Yahoo...

http://news.yahoo.com/us-embassy-iran-michele-bachmann-oops-moment-002030317.html

I know, I know... it's unbelievable the way one side just attacks over the silliest, most trivial of things.

John, do you know the difference between an apple and an orange? :confused:

S-T-T-R-R-E-E-E-T-C-H!

fast4522
12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I bet he does.

boxcar
12-01-2011, 08:36 PM

S-T-T-R-R-E-E-E-T-C-H!

You're asking the wrong guy. I would bet that Obama doesn't. He really isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, ya know?

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
12-01-2011, 08:55 PM

S-T-T-R-R-E-E-E-T-C-H!

Okay, I'm not really sure what your objection is per se, but which "gaffe" is egregious? Bachman erronously believing that we have an embassy in Iran or Obama opining about the English embassy which never has existed?

Can you really find one to be crazy talk and then the other to be an oopsiedaisy-no-big-deal?

I guess (sort of maybe) you can say that it is apples and oranges, but the point is that it matters not which side it is, both sides just can't wait to point out and chortle over any screwy fruit.

(Now is not the time for yet another Barney Frank joke either.)

NJ Stinks
12-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Okay, I'm not really sure what your objection is per se, but which "gaffe" is egregious? Bachman erronously believing that we have an embassy in Iran or Obama opining about the English embassy which never has existed?

Can you really find one to be crazy talk and then the other to be an oopsiedaisy-no-big-deal?

I guess (sort of maybe) you can say that it is apples and oranges, but the point is that it matters not which side it is, both sides just can't wait to point out and chortle over any screwy fruit.

(Now is not the time for yet another Barney Frank joke either.)

John John. Boatwright University wants it's degree back! :p :)

boxcar
12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
John John. Boatwright University wants it's degree back! :p :)

I would settle for just seeing Obama's at this point. :rolleyes: I'm beginning to think he pulled his out of crackerjack box.

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
12-02-2011, 04:18 AM
There's enough ambiguity in what Bachmann said to render that a complete non story...the fact that a story WAS written speaks boatloads...

It's certainly plausible that the follow-up explanation her campaign provided was the actual intent and meaning behind her statement.

Robert Goren
12-02-2011, 08:12 AM
There's enough ambiguity in what Bachmann said to render that a complete non story...the fact that a story WAS written speaks boatloads...

It's certainly plausible that the follow-up explanation her campaign provided was the actual intent and meaning behind her statement.Isn't that always the case with all politicians? They all say something that appears to be stupid from time to time and their staffs have to try to bail them out. My idiot congressman requires very large staff dedicated to that very purpose.

Robert Goren
12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Must be that Damn Bush is operating the teleprompter, you remember that, Obama's portable mind? :lol: There is a term for the kinds of gaffes that started this thread and we all know what it is.
Clue... They don't call them Obamaisms.

Investorater
12-02-2011, 07:41 PM
One commentator at the link had this to say:

"Well, at least the Marine Corpse has his back." :D :lol: :D

johnhannibalsmith
12-03-2011, 01:17 AM

This guy disagrees... says she's so dumb she needs to drop out and spend more time on the hill studying...

http://news.yahoo.com/michele-bachmann-iran-gaffe-shows-foreign-policy-ineptitude-211016120.html

I love Yahoo "News"... It is the perfect answer to anyone that feigns confusion about claims that the media bias and wild hatchet jobs sway just as far to the left if not significantly farther.

I liked this one where the "author" swipes at 3 women at once, using an excerpt from a transcript quoting someone that represents or speaks for noone (unlike the President for example) to feel frisky and utterly superior.

http://news.yahoo.com/meghan-mccain-says-michele-bachmann-more-smarter-sarah-232000029.html

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2011, 03:53 AM
Isn't that always the case with all politicians? They all say something that appears to be stupid from time to time and their staffs have to try to bail them out. My idiot congressman requires very large staff dedicated to that very purpose.I didn't even need her staff to clarify her comment. I read it, then I took a step back and tried to understand how in the world someone took that statement and ran with the notion she wasn't aware we had no embassy in Iran, when it was pretty evident what her meaning was...read what she said again...there is no clear cut way you can come to the conclusion that she was claiming we had an embassy open in Iran.

This really is as obvious as it gets when it comes to a case of media bias against right-leaners.

I suppose with Cain dropping out, they need to make sure Bachmann's campaign doesn't rise from the dead... :lol:

mostpost
12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I didn't even need her staff to clarify her comment. I read it, then I took a step back and tried to understand how in the world someone took that statement and ran with the notion she wasn't aware we had no embassy in Iran, when it was pretty evident what her meaning was...read what she said again...there is no clear cut way you can come to the conclusion that she was claiming we had an embassy open in Iran.

This really is as obvious as it gets when it comes to a case of media bias against right-leaners.

I suppose with Cain dropping out, they need to make sure Bachmann's campaign doesn't rise from the dead... :lol:
You mean you read it, adjusted your right wing blinders, and tried to convinced others that Bachmann's statement did not mean exactly what she said.

Here is the Merriam-Websters' online definition of "Would" as Bachmann used it. a —used in auxiliary function to express wish, desire, or intent You don't wish for something you already have. You don't wish for something you believe is already accomplished. i.e. not having an assembly in Iran.

There are a few possibilities here; Bachmann did not realize we have no embassy in Iran (likely), Bachmann knows and misspoke (also likely), or Bachmann was careless in her choice of words.

Personally, I don't care. Bachmann has given me plenty of reasons to question her qualifications.

boxcar
12-03-2011, 01:34 PM

You don't know the man, if you believe that. He's a fighter. Not a quitter.

Boxcar

bigmack
12-03-2011, 02:13 PM
You don't know the man, if you believe that. He's a fighter. Not a quitter.
'The fighter' just quit.

boxcar
12-03-2011, 02:33 PM
'The fighter' just quit.

Hmm...who is left? Ahh...Ron Paul the consistent one with principles. Or possibly Ricky.

Can't vote for Perry, Romney or Newt. The Brainiac has three strikes against him.

1. The gullible one buys into AGW

2. Believes in rewarding illegals w/permanent residency in U.S -- at least. Probably a slower route to amnesty.

3. Not likely to push for repealing ObamaCare because he thinks the law is constitutional.

Boxcar

lsbets
12-03-2011, 02:49 PM
There are a few possibilities here; Bachmann did not realize we have no embassy in Iran (likely), Bachmann knows and misspoke (also likely), or Bachmann was careless in her choice of words.

Personally, I don't care. Bachmann has given me plenty of reasons to question her qualifications.

I am no fan of her's as anyone who has paid attention here knows. But one thing struck me, and surprised me, at the last foreign policy debate.

When they were talking about Pakistan it was obvious that she was very well read on the issues and very intelligent. For a woman who has said so many idiotic off the hip things, it was striking. On the things she has studied she knows what she is talking about.

Tom
12-03-2011, 03:46 PM
As far as foreign policy, she has impressed me right along.
She has some daffy wrinkles, but she appears well founded in the important stuff.

bigmack
12-03-2011, 04:28 PM
After living in Mpls for a decade, I have a tough time wrapin' my head around our Pres having a 'Minnesota-nice accent' not unlike that of Jerry Lundegaard's wife, who ran blindfolded, into a tree.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lasbn2sAsU1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

cj's dad
12-03-2011, 10:02 PM
So, no matter what, the choice is voting fot BHO ??

I'll pass - ABO - Anyone But Obama

boxcar
12-04-2011, 12:56 PM
So, no matter what, the choice is voting fot BHO ??

I'll pass - ABO - Anyone But Obama

Here's the real choice. Permit me one of my excellent analogies. :)

There are essentially two kinds of rapists in the world. There's the obvious and violent kind who will use whatever force necessary to get what he wants now, and hiding his intentions is the last thing on his mind. This kind could be likened to Democrats, if you will.

Then there's the more covert and subtle type -- the date rapist, who goes to lengths to conceal his nefarious motives, perhaps by wining and dining his intended victim until he slips the drug into her drink before getting ready to sexually assault her against her will. I liken RINOs to this type of criminal.

You conservatives who think there are other choices in this election between Obama and the establishment RINOs running against him are in for a very rude awakening. But I hope you have fun on your date right up until that moment because afterward it's no picnic waking up to discover you've been violated.

Boxcar

hcap
12-04-2011, 01:55 PM
You left one rapist out. Three kinds of rapists.

Third being those that claim God advises them politically, before they date you.

:cool:

boxcar
12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
You left one rapist out. Three kinds of rapists.

Third being those that claim God advises them politically, before they date you.

:cool:

But who did he rape? But what would you know, since you're a card-carryin' member of the Party of Rapists who at every turn are finding new ways to terrorize Americans with their treacheries by laying heavy chains upon us and heavy yokes about our necks to limit our freedoms and individual liberties.

You remind me of a lifer in prison who has not only forgotten what freedom tastes like, but would refuse to taste it if offered because he wouldn't know any longer what to do with it since he has lost all taste for it.

Boxcar

JustRalph
12-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I opened it.......... now that it's gone to shit.........somebody please close it down...........

hcap
12-04-2011, 05:40 PM
I opened it.......... now that it's gone to shit.........somebody please close it down...........
One moment. Let's see, box called me a rapist simply because his man of the month was not all box believed him to be. I guess I should remind box of his glowing predictions of Herman's prospects.

Never mind, "nuff said :bang: :bang:

DJofSD
12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
He did not call you a rapist. Or, does guilt by association come into play?

What's the matter, did he hurt your feelings?

PaceAdvantage
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
You mean you read it, adjusted your right wing blinders, and tried to convinced others that Bachmann's statement did not mean exactly what she said.

Here is the Merriam-Websters' online definition of "Would" as Bachmann used it. a — You don't wish for something you already have. You don't wish for something you believe is already accomplished. i.e. not having an assembly in Iran.

Personally, I don't care. Bachmann has given me plenty of reasons to question her qualifications.Not surprisingly, you completely missed her point. She wasn't talking about our nonexistent embassy. She was clearly saying that if we did have an embassy, LIKE THE BRITISH, she would have closed it too.

Any idiot could see exactly what she meant.

The incredibly bias of the media though read what it wanted to read into the comment and ran with it...

Having expressed her support for the British move to remove all its diplomatic staff from Iran, and to expel the Iranian diplomatic corps from the U.K., Bachmann said, “That’s exactly what I would do [if I were president]. We wouldn’t have an embassy in Iran. I wouldn’t allow that to be there,” ABC News reported.Notice how they had to put the "if I were president" in there for her, because she never actually said those words. Meaning, she's putting herself IN THE ROLE of the BRITISH. If she were actually talking about this nonexistent US Embassy, she actually would have said "IF I WERE PRESIDENT," which she did not.

If she thought we actually had an embassy in Iran, why did she say "WE WOULD'T HAVE AN EMBASSY." Why wouldn't she just say "I am calling for the closing of our embassy" or "If something like that happened to our embassy, I would have done the same thing" or something to that effect.

This thread is closed, so I have the last word. Tough.