PDA

View Full Version : Secret Software on Millions of Phones Logging Everything

Dave Schwartz
11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/11/secret-software-logging-video/

Researcher’s Video Shows Secret Software on Millions of Phones Logging Everything

The Android developer who raised the ire of a mobile-phone monitoring company last week is on the attack again, producing a video of how the Carrier IQ software secretly installed on millions of mobile phones reports most everything a user does on a phone.

Though the software is installed on most modern Android, BlackBerry and Nokia phones, Carrier IQ was virtually unknown until 25-year-old Trevor Eckhart of Connecticut analyzed its workings, revealing that the software secretly chronicles a user’s phone experience — ostensibly so carriers and phone manufacturers can do quality control.

The company denies its software logs keystrokes. Eckhart’s 17-minute video clearly undercuts that claim.

In a Thanksgiving post, we mentioned this software as one of nine reasons to wear a tinfoil hat.

DJofSD
11-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Ya. Right. QC.

Let's have a show of hands: how many here believe that is all the data is used for? OK. I thought so.

Actor
11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Ya. Right. QC.

Let's have a show of hands: how many here believe that is all the data is used for? OK. I thought so.

It's been 27 years since 1984. Big Brother is watching.

boxcar
11-30-2011, 11:09 AM

That should make you a very happy camper, yes?

Boxcar

thaskalos
11-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Credit cards, "smart" phones, car-tracking devices...they have us covered all the way around.

Where we go...what we buy...whom we talk to, and what we say...

All in the land of..."freedom".

JustRalph
11-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Credit cards, "smart" phones, car-tracking devices...they have us covered all the way around.

Soft tyranny

Alive and well

Tom
11-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Get yer tin foil hats and Lumina wallets this Christmas.

TJDave
11-30-2011, 02:24 PM

People conveniently forget they file income tax returns...and sign them. ;)

Big Brother has always been watching.

BlueShoe
12-02-2011, 12:22 AM

And of course everything that we do on the funny little techie toy you are presently peering at. Deleting browsing history and cookies does not help much according to the experts, we have already been had.

LottaKash
12-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Soft tyranny

Alive and well

Like "never before".....

And, what about "Magic Jack".....Imo, it is built right into that piece....

And, forget about "Google", Facebook, and Twitter, as that and those places just smacks of BIg BRO....

Actor
12-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Big Brother has always been watching.True. But lately he's gotten much better at it. :bang:

In the not-to-distant future I foresee a video camera on every telephone pole. The technology exists to make the window panes in your house act as microphones. From cradle to grave you will always be on camera, on mike.

Robert Goren
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
The shear volume of the information pretty well make it useless.

thaskalos
12-02-2011, 10:57 AM
True. But lately he's gotten much better at it. :bang:

In the not-to-distant future I foresee a video camera on every telephone pole. The technology exists to make the window panes in your house act as microphones. From cradle to grave you will always be on camera, on mike.
Will they, at least, rush to our aid when we need help? :)

DJofSD
12-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Wrong answer.

Just b/c you don't understand the implications does not mean your assumptions are correct.

boxcar
12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Soft tyranny

Alive and well

And it's not getting any softer!

Boxcar

Tom
12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Anyone watching Person of Interest on Thursdays?

Tom
12-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Then why the big to do about Bush monitoring phone calls from terror-suspect nations?

BlueShoe
12-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Anyone watching Person of Interest on Thursdays?
While I admire the acting of Michael Emerson (Lost), this program just does not hold me, and find it rather blah. The concept is scary though, tracking persons and predicting their future actions. If and when they can tell me what I am going to bet that day before I even leave for the track then I might pay a little more attention. ;)

Robert Goren
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Then why the big to do about Bush monitoring phone calls from terror-suspect nations? It did not come from me. I don't have problem with Bush or anyone else doing that. I don't even have problem with them monitoring my phone calls. Although I might feel a twinge of guilt when the person monitoring my phone calls died from boredom.

Canarsie
12-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Info on how to get rid of that piece of crap or disable it.

Warning: This isn't for the uninitiated computer person try to find someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to rooting.

Carrier IQ: Which phones are infected, and how to remove it

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/107427-carrier-iq-which-phones-are-infected-and-how-to-remove-it

Actor
12-02-2011, 06:03 PM
The shear volume of the information pretty well make it useless.Not necessarily. Information mining is both an art and a science. The CIA, FBI, etc. are probably funding Artificial Intelligence R&D to computerize it.