PDA

View Full Version : Christmas 2011 - are you still getting a tree?

DJofSD
11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
This year I am seriously considering not buying a tree. I usually spend about $100-125. This has been for my son's benefit but now that he is 12 years old, I'm thinking he might not miss it especially when I tell him it means a couple more rounds of golf!

So, am I being a humbug or just changing my priorities?

(P.S. there are still gifts but just not under a huge tree. Maybe a little one.)

Tom
11-29-2011, 11:03 AM
I gave that up a last year. I bought a small tree to put in the front window and when I took out of the trunk and set it down in the driveway, ALL the needles feel off! Looked like the Tree Charlie Brown had. I bought a small artificial, a can of pine-scent spray, and a plastic bag. I put it in the bag, fully decorated, and in the closet when I was done with it, so now, all I have to do is pull off the bag and I'm good to go.

My cat is not happy about it, but he can buy his own tree if he wants to.

Ocala Mike
11-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Lots of southern pines on my 3 acres; no snow, though. I'll just look out the window, and be thankful that I'm not up north. Maybe turn the tv to that station that shows the yule log and plays carols all day!

Ocala Mike

FantasticDan
11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
$100-125 for a tree? Ouch. We have an artificial, but sometimes put up a real one too in another room. A former co-worker has a tree farm and we usually cut our own there. Only $20 :ThmbUp:

BlueShoe
11-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Tree? When I was just a lad the going price for a nice tree was a dollar a foot. Thus, a family would get a nice six foot tree for six bucks. Can I still get one for that? ;) :D

Jay Trotter
11-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Tree? When I was just a lad the going price for a nice tree was a dollar a foot. Thus, a family would get a nice six foot tree for six bucks. Can I still get one for that? ;) :D

See post #2 -- I'm sure Tom would sell you that "Charlie Brown" tree for $3.00! :lol:

NJ Stinks
11-29-2011, 01:21 PM
If I ever got a fake tree, it's time to put me out to pasture. Some of our favorite trees over the years didn't have anything close to the perfect form you get from a fake.

And DJ, we usually spend $30 to $45 for a tree - less if we cutdown our own.

But I must add this. I agree that paying at least $100 for a tree may put me in the proverbial pasture! :)

Dave Schwartz
11-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Last year we bought a 9' artificial tree that looks amazingly real. I really wanted (and we have room for) a 14' tree but they were out of stock.

It replaced the artificial tree we had for 9 years. That tree was $259, marked down to $129, marked down to... we ultimately bought it in February for $24.95.

I think a good looking tree that you get 9 years out of for $25 is a good deal.

So, buy one more tree - then in Jan/Feb look for closeouts. As long as they have stock the prices will continue to drop until they remove them completely just before Valentine's day.

GameTheory
11-29-2011, 01:30 PM
We get them from Lowe's or Home Depot -- plenty big Fraser Firs for around $60. The less attractive and smaller varieties are cheaper than that.

Over $100 is crazy...

rastajenk
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Must be a Cali tax on deforestation or something like that. :p Green fees.

boxcar
11-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I gave that up a last year. I bought a small tree to put in the front window and when I took out of the trunk and set it down in the driveway, ALL the needles feel off! Looked like the Tree Charlie Brown had. I bought a small artificial, a can of pine-scent spray, and a plastic bag. I put it in the bag, fully decorated, and in the closet when I was done with it, so now, all I have to do is pull off the bag and I'm good to go.

I'm amazed your tree survives the cat. :D

Boxcar

BlueShoe
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Be nice to your cat and generous at Christmas time. Remember, cats rule. :ThmbUp: There are at least two cat lovers on this forum, and we will confirm this. :cool:

Ocala Mike
11-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Be nice to your cat and generous at Christmas time. Remember, cats rule. :ThmbUp: There are at least two cat lovers on this forum, and we will confirm this. :cool:

Make that three!

Ocala Mike

DJofSD
11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Well, sure, I could rummage through the POS looking trees out in front of the local Walmart or wherever and pay as little as possible. Ugly little pitiful looking excuses for a yule tide tradition.

So, I pay up. Typically an 8 footer that is pretty fresh, full and keeps its needles for the time it's up in the house. I guess living in San Diego means I pay more for everything. As far as I know, there aren't too many cut-your-own places any more.

bigmack
11-29-2011, 03:07 PM
there aren't too many cut-your-own places any more.
Still some around, DJ.
http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/CAxmassouth.php

DJofSD
11-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks, Mack.

Still a few where they're still attached to their roots but a "fir" drive from my environs and even further for you!

GameTheory
11-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Well, sure, I could rummage through the POS looking trees out in front of the local Walmart or wherever and pay as little as possible. Ugly little pitiful looking excuses for a yule tide tradition.

So, I pay up. Typically an 8 footer that is pretty fresh, full and keeps its needles for the time it's up in the house. I guess living in San Diego means I pay more for everything. As far as I know, there aren't too many cut-your-own places any more.Don't know about Wal-mart, but we get a beautiful tree every year, the last few from Lowe's. We are extremely picky. I don't see better ones at the other lots, which we've checked occasionally, just more expensive. We do have to go to 3-4 stores sometimes as the type and selection varies. We much prefer the Fraser Firs as they look better than the others, seem to keep longer without all the needles falling off, and they have a pleasant smell.

Grits
11-29-2011, 05:04 PM

So, I pay up. Typically an 8 footer that is pretty fresh, full and keeps its needles for the time it's up in the house. I guess living in San Diego means I pay more for everything. As far as I know, there aren't too many cut-your-own places any more.

For the many years of buying live trees, never bought them at grocery stores, Walmart, etc. They're Charlie Brown trees. Bought them at nurseries where they're kept in stands with water. Having a two story foyer for years, the one placed there was tall, big, and, yes, it did run over $100 to $125. (This was over 10 years ago.) Ones in the den and kitchen were not as costly. Smaller in size.

Today, no more. Tired of so much decorating. There's only one, its artificial, 8ft and slim. EASY for me to decorate. It goes up, the door wreath goes up, and as Christmas gets closer the fresh flowers are bought--poinsettias, amaryllis, Christmas cactus, etc, along with greenery that I cut from my shrubs.

NOTE: Add two crushed aspirin to your live tree's water as needed. The tree will retain its freshness and keeps its needles longer.;)

Grits
11-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Don't know about Wal-mart, but we get a beautiful tree every year, the last few from Lowe's. We are extremely picky. I don't see better ones at the other lots, which we've checked occasionally, just more expensive. We do have to go to 3-4 stores sometimes as the type and selection varies. We much prefer the Fraser Firs as they look better than the others, seem to keep longer without all the needles falling off, and they have a pleasant smell.

Lowes always has nice trees, plus, like the nurseries, they wrap them in netting for you. This is a good thing.