PDA

View Full Version : RAM Question

sq764
12-06-2003, 01:32 PM
I have an older Compaq Armada 7400 and I want to at least attempt to boost the RAM from 70 to around 256 (it's max)..

With that being said, how can I find out exactly what type of RAM I need to buy for this??

Dave Schwartz
12-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Older RAM - Don't be surprised if it costs more than a new computer. (I am not kidding!)

Dave Schwartz

headhawg
12-06-2003, 03:17 PM
sq,

Dave is right. The other problem is much of the time manufacturers (Dell, Gateway, Compaq, etc.) use proprietary hardware. It's possible that this is true in your case which makes it harder to upgrade.

Also, make sure that you have a memory slot or slots available to expand. Plus, there is always the potential that the new Ram is incompatible with the old and you may have to get all new memory.

If I were you I would go to Compaq's site or do a Google search for your model.

Computers -- aren't they fun?

HH

Dave Schwartz
12-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Years ago my wife had an old 200MHz with 32mb of RAM. (She was last in the house to get an upgrade; everyone else was at 800MHz+.) The RAM for her older, slower machine was so expensive that it was almost $400 to get her to 64mb!

Obviously, whe got a new computer instead.

Funny, but messing with upgrades these days just does not make sense when Costco sells eMachines for $399.

And for that matter, warranties are useless as well. We had a motherboard fail. It's under warranty. And in just 6 short weeks I will get my new board. What am I going to do? Certainly not be down for 6 weeks. So, a new motherboard and faster processor are in order. Then you realize that you might as well get a whole new computer.

And when you do get the new motherboard back, you put it in the drawer with the idea that you will use it someday." By the time you do, it is now the slowest computer you own so what's the point?

I'll tell you what we do, btw. We throw it in a box along with everything else that fails. When we have about all we need to build a new computer we do and somebody gets a gift. This year, it was my grown son's family Christmas present: 1.2GHz, fully loaded.

Kind of makes me think of Radar mailing a jeep home a few pieces at a time. <G>

Dave

headhawg
12-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Dave is right again. (Is it a good or bad sign that we agree?) At some point upgrading an older computer is an exercise in futility because your throwing money away for very minor improvements that could be put toward a better box.

The biggest thing to decide, really, is how much money to spend on a new machine. And that should be based on what it is that you want to do with it.

HH

sq764
12-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Well I found RAM on ebay for my Armada 7400.. Its only $14.99, so worth a try to upgrade it 64MB..

We shall see..

Boris
12-07-2003, 07:12 AM
SQ

www.kingston.com is a good place to figure out what kind of memory your computer needs questions. Fairly easy to find your system and then it will show you what it came with and what/how to add to it.

sq764
12-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Boris, thanks!!

This isn't too bad.. they offer 128K for $55..
Worth a shot anyway..