PDA

View Full Version : Owner of Cigar Mile winner - good stuff

GlenninOhio
11-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Per 11/27 Thoroughbred Times:

"I can't see any reason not to race him next year," owner Charlotte Weber said of To Honor and Serve, "(Having fun) is what this game is all about. I don't think it's about retiring them as soon as you can to get your maximum dollars."

redshift1
11-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Interesting horse, looked overmatched early in the year at Gulfstream. I thought he was just another 3 YR old who regressed from a good 2 YR season.

Went pretty fast yesterday haven't seen the Beyer yet but it should be near 100.

RJason
11-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Quote of the Year from Charlotte Weber - should be required reading for all major owners who still look at racing as a hobby, not their major business, and claim to want to promote the game.....

Especially Mike Pegram, Watson and Weitman who threw "fun" out the window and retired the 100% healthy Lookin At Lucky when Coolmore threw the $$ at them......and of course so many other owners who do the same.....

I'll be rooting for THAS in '12 and if they keep him at 7f - 1 1/8, he'll do some serious damage...eesp. at the Big A - he likes him some "racino"

iceknight
11-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote of the Year from Charlotte Weber - should be required reading for all major owners who still look at racing as a hobby, not their major business, and claim to want to promote the game.....

Especially Mike Pegram, Watson and Weitman who threw "fun" out the window and retired the 100% healthy Lookin At Lucky when Coolmore threw the $$ at them......and of course so many other owners who do the same.....

I'll be rooting for THAS in '12 and if they keep him at 7f - 1 1/8, he'll do some serious damage...eesp. at the Big A - he likes him some "racino"

I don't get one thing.... why can't stallions race and be breeding at the same time?? I mean, it should just take them a few hours to "do the job" during their heat season or whatever, right? (And the heat is probably for the mares anyway..I am a total newbie to the breeding process...)

Segue: On another note.. are fillies "approached" by male horses before or after the race.. (especially if the filly is in heat?)

Shireffs: Z's trainer, mentioned that fillies are in heat once a month..
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/23/sports/sp-dwyre23

sandpit
11-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Interesting horse, looked overmatched early in the year at Gulfstream. I thought he was just another 3 YR old who regressed from a good 2 YR season.

Went pretty fast yesterday haven't seen the Beyer yet but it should be near 100.

Career best 106.

Linny
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't get one thing.... why can't stallions race and be breeding at the same time?? I mean, it should just take them a few hours to "do the job" during their heat season or whatever, right? (And the heat is probably for the mares anyway..I am a total newbie to the breeding process...)

Segue: On another note.. are fillies "approached" by male horses before or after the race.. (especially if the filly is in heat?)

Shireffs: Z's trainer, mentioned that fillies are in heat once a month..
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/23/sports/sp-dwyre23

The last thing a handler of a 4yo colt needs is a 4yo colt who has actually bred a mare.

As for owners, Mrs. Weber is an owner who all racing fans should adore. She believes in testing her colts and she's also the owner who re-purchased Fly Down and gelded him. She's quite outspoken on a number is issues and puts her money where her mouth is in support of her horses. She's a breeder and also a buyer, supporting other breeders with substantial purchases.

Spalding No!
11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
As for owners, Mrs. Weber is an owner who all racing fans should adore. She believes in testing her colts and she's also the owner who re-purchased Fly Down and gelded him. She's quite outspoken on a number is issues and puts her money where her mouth is in support of her horses. She's a breeder and also a buyer, supporting other breeders with substantial purchases.

It was High Fly.

Linny
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
It was High Fly.

Holy smokes, I must be tired tonight. My friend has a show horse named Fly High and I was looking of pics of him and got all confuzzled. Yes, it High Fly not Fly Down (who probably also should be gelded, if he has not been already.)

Paseana
11-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Especially Mike Pegram, Watson and Weitman who threw "fun" out the window and retired the 100% healthy Lookin At Lucky when Coolmore threw the $$ at them......and of course so many other owners who do the same

I think there are signs here that Coolmore is wanting to get into the North American dirt game, and that can't be anything but good. I've seen horses running in California (can't tell you who they are) owned by Magnier, Tabor, and Smith, running for Bob Baffert. This is something that we wouldn't have seen 10 years ago, and I think that Coolmore's pursuit of Lookin At Lucky makes sense in that context.

Coolmore is focused on stallion-making, and with their operation at Ballydoyle in Ireland, they've done a pretty good job of it. But up until now, they've never had an impact in North America except for their wonderful turf horses that come over here and make mincemeat of us. The fact is that they're giving horses to Bob Baffert and finally giving an offer to the Pegram group that they can't refuse for Lookin At Lucky says to me that they want a presence in this country.

I'm not a fan of the Coolmore guys. I hate the shuttling stuff that they do with their stallions. But the potential for them getting into the North American game is pretty big. Purchasing Lookin At Lucky might be just the start of it.

Spalding No!
11-28-2011, 12:10 AM
I think there are signs here that Coolmore is wanting to get into the North American dirt game, and that can't be anything but good. I've seen horses running in California (can't tell you who they are) owned by Magnier, Tabor, and Smith, running for Bob Baffert. This is something that we wouldn't have seen 10 years ago, and I think that Coolmore's pursuit of Lookin At Lucky makes sense in that context.

Ten years ago, Coolmore had tons of horses with Todd Pletcher and Patrick Biancone. Left Bank, Adieu, Mayakovsky, Circle Of Life, Rags To Riches, Bandini, Lion Heart, Yonaguska, Sense Of Style, Circular Quay, Wild Fit, etc.

Coolmore trying to be successful in North American dirt racing is nothing new. They've simply been on hiatus because their past failures and probably a distraction by synthetic surfaces.