PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Madness.

BlueShoe
11-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Perhaps the pre Christmas shopping frenzy has finally gone over the top and descended in madness. In the past we all relaxed on Thanksgiving and the stores were closed. Not this year. For days we have seen TV and newspaper adds screaming about store early openings and terrific buys for those that arrive early. Some stores will open at midnight, but a few have gone one step farther and will open at 9 or 10 tonight, Thanksgiving day. Have seen scenes of campers in front of stores waiting to get in and get one of the so called door buster items at a deep discount. Hope that no one gets trampled to death when they open the doors. My sympathy goes to the store employees that are being required to interrupt their holiday and come to work and put in what amounts to a graveyard shift. No person of my aquaintance will admit to this late night shopping, but just wondering, can we see the hands of those of you that are going, or at least your wife is? :) As for myself, after the days socializing is done, will take another peek at my Form and see what looks good friday. :cool:

sandpit
11-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Two of my nieces, both 16, one on each side of the family, are going out at midnight to shop with their friends. I give props to one of them though, who went to Churchill Downs today for T-day dinner. I asked the other one, who was at my house, what she was looking for when she ventures out to Target, and she said, "Nothing, it's just fun looking around." I guess it's the thing to do now.

NJ Stinks
11-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm heading for an OTB myself tomorrow, BlueShoe. :ThmbUp: As for my wife, she's not setting the alarm but she will shop tomorrow.

Unless they are handing out Racing Forms at midnight, I'm not going anywhere tonight.

Canarsie
11-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Black Friday has lost some of it's luster as the tablet and phone era make deals even easier to find with an app that can be deleted after the holiday season.

Here's a site for you guy or gals that can fairly accurately predicts whether to buy now or later. It was put through a barrage of tests and came out with flying colors.

There's also an Apple app for it this one doesn't need to be taken off after the holidays.

http://www.decide.com/

Shemp Howard
11-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I used to wait for the "Morning Telegraph" at Philadelphia's North Broad Street station every midnight back in the 1960's.

No big deal.

Tom
11-25-2011, 09:11 AM
A woman shot pepper spray to keep shoppers from merchandise she wanted during a Black Friday sale, and 20 people suffered minor injuries, authorities said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57331142/woman-pepper-sprays-other-black-friday-shoppers/

Things could have gotten dicey, though. As the BF shoppers camped out over night, some took over spots held by OWS people. Could have been a bloodbath out there.

What happens when an irresistable force ( BF shoppers) meets an immovable object (OSW boycotters)? Clearly, the woman with the pepper spray had though of that scenario!~ :D

BlueShoe
11-25-2011, 09:43 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57331142/woman-pepper-sprays-other-black-friday-shoppers/

Things could have gotten dicey, though. As the BF shoppers camped out over night, some took over spots held by OWS people. Could have been a bloodbath out there. :D
Just a few minutes ago my local station aired this story and showed a film clip taken by a shoppers cell phone camera showing the chaos. Happened at the Porter Ranch Walmart. Cops still looking for the woman that did it. Only in California :rolleyes: , as once again my state leads the nation in lunacy. :blush:

ArlJim78
11-25-2011, 10:33 AM
I hope the occupy protestors have enough sense to steer clear of the black friday shoppers. they're no match. police brutality and a little pepper spray are childsplay compared to the fate that awaits them should they stand between the black friday mob and the store entrance.

rastajenk
11-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I'd actually be interested in seeing that. :p

ArlJim78
11-25-2011, 01:03 PM
oh my, even Obama is getting in on black Friday.

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Screen-shot-2011-11-25-at-11.38.23-AM.png

johnhannibalsmith
11-25-2011, 01:12 PM
oh my, even Obama is getting in on black Friday.

Very timely post Jim. Now I can finally cross Tom off of my shopping list.

BlueShoe
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Wow, what a day Black Friday was, as violence and boorish conduct seemed to be the norm around the nation. Too many links to post just one or two, a Google search of Black Friday 2011 fights brings up 3425 related articles.:eek: There were scuffles over $2 waffle irons and $1.88 towels, as well as Eboxes, and at least one shooting. California may have led the way, but it did not have a monopoly on bad behavior. New York jumped in, as two women were hospitalized and a man arrested in Rome, but the nonsense was all over. While all this may seem amusing when viewed from afar, the implications are disturbing, as manners and respect for others declines in what is a nationwide trend of selfishness and just plain bad conduct. :(