PDA

View Full Version : High Weight Handicap....excellent discussion

sammy the sage
11-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Normally I would say at 6 f's weight don't matter....but in this case...I like the bomb...already carried MORE than anybody else here on a REGULAR basis....now is the LOW weight...126 lbs

W/the scratch of the Pletcher BEASTies...will plop a few pennies down...pace scenerio looks good too...

Thoughts anybody?

Too be perfectly honest though...since one DOES NOT know the ACTUAL weight of the animals...will be a small wager...

10lbs added to a 975lb vs 1250lb horse should and would make a difference...

Even dog racing gives you ACTUAL weights... :rolleyes:

Tom
11-24-2011, 08:52 AM
For me, I will ignore the weights.

speed
11-24-2011, 09:35 AM
10lbs added to a 975lb vs 1250lb horse should and would make a difference...
Even dog racing gives you ACTUAL weights... :rolleyes:
Before or after the post parade poop?

classhandicapper
11-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I think the Fall Highweight is a pretty good test of various formulas that try to measure the significance of weight.

If the race comes up slow relative to the rest of the races on the day on a consistent basis (almost every year), then the weight is probably having an impact. If the races are coming up in in line the others, then the extra weight is probably insignificant.

iceknight
03-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Figured I would ask my question here..

So 3M has been assigned 124 lbs in the Big 'cap and WTC at 123 and G.o.D at 122.

http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-mucho-macho-man-124-pound-highweight-big-cap

I never understood the handicap weight assignment process well enough. They run the derby, travers etc at 126lb (for 3 year olds) but when it comes to older horses they already start with a lower weight assignment as the top weight?

What's the logic?

cj
03-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Figured I would ask my question here..

So 3M has been assigned 124 lbs in the Big 'cap and WTC at 123 and G.o.D at 122.

http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-mucho-macho-man-124-pound-highweight-big-cap

I never understood the handicap weight assignment process well enough. They run the derby, travers etc at 126lb (for 3 year olds) but when it comes to older horses they already start with a lower weight assignment as the top weight?

What's the logic?

There was a time when assigned weights could actually be a handicap. But those weights have shrunk over the years as trainers complained and had other options. It was used to lure horses to certain races, and got out of hand. There are no real handicaps any more in the US.

iceknight
03-03-2014, 04:02 PM
There was a time when assigned weights could actually be a handicap. But those weights have shrunk over the years as trainers complained and had other options. It was used to lure horses to certain races, and got out of hand. There are no real handicaps any more in the US. Oh yeah.. those Dr. Fager times!!!

cj
03-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah.. those Dr. Fager times!!!

That bad part about it is that the low weights don't really get a break. The jockeys aren't light enough to ride at what would be a fair handicap weight.

iceknight
03-06-2014, 02:04 PM
That bad part about it is that the low weights don't really get a break. The jockeys aren't light enough to ride at what would be a fair handicap weight. I was just reading about Forego's defeats [in Haskin's latest article on Wise Dan] (carrying 137, 138) while giving 24/25 lbs to nearest rivals and my jaw just dropped.

Tom
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Amazing horse!

classhandicapper
03-06-2014, 04:19 PM
I was just reading about Forego's defeats [in Haskin's latest article on Wise Dan] (carrying 137, 138) while giving 24/25 lbs to nearest rivals and my jaw just dropped.

I didn't have enough of an appreciation of him back then. I wish I knew then what I know now. It would have saved me a few bucks trying to beat him. :lol: