PDA

View Full Version : California may tie ADW rights to jockey media rights

andymays
11-22-2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/11/21/california-may-tie-adw-rights-to-jockey-media-rights.aspx

Excerpt:

The decision by Churchill Downs Inc. to halt “media rights” payments to the Jockeys’ Guild could prove detrimental to its profitable advance-deposit wagering operation TwinSpires.com in California.

The California Horse Racing Board during its regular meeting on November 17 postponed a scheduled decision on renewing the license of TwinSpires and two other ADWs that operate in the state, XpressBet.com and Television Games Network, until it could review the support of each to jockey health and welfare.

That decision followed a statement from attorney Barry Broad, on behalf of the Jockeys’ Guild, questioning why Churchill-owned TwinSpires should be allowed to operate in California following a decision to halt $330,000 in payments to support jockey life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and temporary disability benefits at its four tracks.

Robert Goren
11-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Let see if I got this straight. California is going to screw the ADW bettors because Churchill Downs is trying to screw the jockeys.

toussaud
11-22-2011, 10:56 AM
can someone tell me in slow people terms what this means. TIA

andymays
11-22-2011, 11:01 AM
can someone tell me in slow people terms what this means. TIA

They may not allow Twin Spires to take wagers from Californians. At least that's what I think they're thinking about doing. It's about leverage. They want them to keep contributing to the Jockeys fund.

takeout
11-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Who made Brackpool king?

toussaud
11-22-2011, 11:09 AM
so let me get this straight

the jockey guild goes to CDI, asks them to please re up on the jockey guild contribution

CDI says get bent

The jockeys ask CDI to reconsider

CDI then basically (at least from what I am understanding) is telling the jockeys out west that if you keep contributing to the jockey guild, we are going to stop taking wagers from people who live in california

is that about right?

andymays
11-22-2011, 11:11 AM
so let me get this straight

the jockey guild goes to CDI, asks them to please re up on the jockey guild contribution

CDI says get bent

The jockeys ask CDI to reconsider

CDI then basically (at least from what I am understanding) is telling the jockeys out west that if you keep contributing to the jockey guild, we are going to stop taking wagers from people who live in california

is that about right?

That's not the way I read it. It's the CHRB telling CDI that they won't be allowed to take wagers from California Residents unless they keep up the contributions.

Canarsie
11-22-2011, 11:36 AM
This is really getting tiresome both sides act like little kids in a publicity battle.

Looking into my crystal ball if CDI is banned from California they will fire back against California betting on all of their tracks. They are so pigheaded it can't be about the money how long did the Tracknet dispute last? Till the U.S. government intervened and said no to the merger till you disband it.

The only thing that could stop their retaliation is if a contact is still in force. Just a hunch but they wouldn't be doing this unless they had something up their sleeve.

FenceBored
11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
That's not the way I read it. It's the CHRB telling CDI that they won't be allowed to take wagers from California Residents unless they keep up the contributions.

Next question, could this also effect TwinSpires ability to carry California signals?

andymays
11-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Next question, could this also effect TwinSpires ability to carry California signals?

I'm sure there will be some type of war. This stuff always ends in a mess.

Al Gobbi
11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
There are other products out there that are much better, Ca. won't be missed.

toussaud
11-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm actually with the CHRB on this one nif that is the case.

FenceBored
11-22-2011, 03:41 PM

Really? Why is it their business to dictate what arrangements tracks in other states make with anyone?

In you view, would the California Horse Racing Board be justified in withholding a license from XpressBet over concerns about a perceived lack of security for employees of Gulfstream Park in Florida going to their cars late at night?

andymays
11-22-2011, 04:05 PM
What cracked me up is this comment by Brackpool:

“This board … will do whatever it can to protect the welfare, safety, and well-being of jockeys,” Brackpool said. “If that means we look to good corporate citizenship as one of the tests, then that’s one of the tests we’re eventually going to look to.”

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/11/business/fi-hiltzik11

Excerpt:

People who say that nothing's harder to get rid of than a bad penny must never have met Keith Brackpool.

The British-born promoter, who has spent the last dozen years pushing a scheme to pump water to Southern California from beneath 35,000 acres his Cadiz Inc. owns in the Mojave Desert, just won't go away.

johnhannibalsmith
11-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Its one thing to support the CHRB opinion that CDI should continue to contribute, but that doesn't mean you need to or should support their proposed application of policy to express that opinion.

Brain dead idea that squarely demonstrates how little they (repeatedly regardless of the reaction) consider who they are ultimately affecting by such a proposal. Another reason to avoid their product and sadly, it stems from a noble premise. They can't even do the right thing right.

Tom
11-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Now John, I'm sure they never meant to hurt the horse players. I'm positive they even think about the horse players in California. :rolleyes:

Al Gobbi
11-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Now, just think if CDI was still running Hollywood with the current CHRB board in charge.

takeout
11-23-2011, 01:05 AM
can someone tell me in slow people terms what this means. TIABrackpool is sticking his nose in someone else’s business. He shouldn’t be. Simple as that.

takeout
11-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Now, just think if CDI was still running Hollywood with the current CHRB board in charge.Man that WOULD be fun to watch! :D

BlueShoe
11-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Brackpool is sticking his nose in someone else’s business. He shouldn’t be. Simple as that.
Have commented on this before, but just how and what the hell is this Limey doing dictatating to Americans about anything? Perhaps it is just my xenophobia, but have long taken a very dim view of foreigners coming here and giving us orders. Given that, and his shady background and incompetance, time to send him home and replace him with a competant person that at least was born here.

PurplePower
11-28-2011, 01:48 AM
One thing that is not reported in the publicity regarding CDI's jockey guild payment is that CDI pays for an insurance policy that covers riders at all of their tracks for up to $1,000,000 for each jockey (whether a guild member or not) for an accident or injury. The $330,000 was a one time, annual payment to the Guild with which the Guild paid health insurance premiums and other needs (co-pays on wheel chairs, etc.) for riders that are members of the Guild. (They do assist non-Guild member riders in times of dire need.)

Do the California tracks have such a policy? Or, do they just make their annual payment? (And, does anyone know how much the Stronach Group's annual payment is?)

I don't know what the premium is for that $1M policy or how much they have paid out each year. But, the publicity is presented to suggest that CDI does not care about riders that get injured, and that does not seem in total agreement with the facts. Does CHRB make sure all their tracks have that same $1M policy in effect in addition to making their annual contribution?

FenceBored
11-28-2011, 08:57 AM
One thing that is not reported in the publicity regarding CDI's jockey guild payment is that CDI pays for an insurance policy that covers riders at all of their tracks for up to $1,000,000 for each jockey (whether a guild member or not) for an accident or injury. The $330,000 was a one time, annual payment to the Guild with which the Guild paid health insurance premiums and other needs (co-pays on wheel chairs, etc.) for riders that are members of the Guild. (They do assist non-Guild member riders in times of dire need.)

Do the California tracks have such a policy? Or, do they just make their annual payment? (And, does anyone know how much the Stronach Group's annual payment is?)

I don't know what the premium is for that $1M policy or how much they have paid out each year. But, the publicity is presented to suggest that CDI does not care about riders that get injured, and that does not seem in total agreement with the facts. Does CHRB make sure all their tracks have that same $1M policy in effect in addition to making their annual contribution?

Good points, but I would like to add something. Portraying this as CDI cutting off payment to disabled jockeys is disingenuous. The payment was supposedly for media rights. Whatever the Jockey's Guild chooses to use the monies for is their business and has no bearing on the justification for the payment.

For example, let's say a jockey is using an agent who donates everything the jockey pays him to thoroughbred retirement charities. If that jockey decides to change agents, does this mean the jock hates horses and wants ex-racehorses to go to Mexican slaughterhouses, or does it simply mean he thinks he can get better representation from another agent?

FenceBored
12-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Illinois is joining the party:

The Illinois Racing Board on Thursday deferred the approval of 2012 licenses for account-wagering companies operating in the state after hearing testimony from representatives of the Jockeys’ Guild about the decision by Churchill Downs Inc. to let an agreement providing payments to the Guild to expire.

Laino said that the board’s legal counsel plans to examine closely whether the board can legally insert itself into the dispute by tying an operating license to the guild payments in light of a 1972 Illinois Supreme Court decision that ruled that the board cannot set riders’ fees because jockeys are independent contractors.
-- http://www.drf.com/news/illinois-puts-decision-account-wagering-licenses

takeout
12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
[snip]
Racetracks have a long history of making voluntary payments to the guild, in agreements stretching back to the 1960’s.
[snip]
http://www.drf.com/news/jockeys-guilds-support-feeling-pinch

Comment: I think the key word there is “voluntary”.

FenceBored
12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
CDI goes Popeye:

h97kbv4mbsc

Even though CDI does not employ jockeys, we have been willing to take significant responsibility for caring for them when they ride at our four tracks. We spend more than $2.5 million every year to pay for on-track injury insurance; for health, safety and welfare programs; and for charitable donations benefiting current and retired jockeys.

We don’t see the sense in waging a public relations war with the Guild, but we didn’t start this one, and we’ve had enough. CDI will no longer be used as a scapegoat for the Guild’s financial difficulties and management challenges. It’s time to turn the focus of this discussion to where it belongs—the Guild’s management team, the real motives behind its recent actions, and whether the Guild has kept its promises to both jockeys and racetracks.”
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/66484/cdi-fires-back-on-jockeys-guild-contract#ixzz1foABRjME

andymays
12-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Dude. You're friggin awesome for life. Popeye. This made my day.

Thanks,

A

Now all I need is a Popeye jingle for California Racing. I have a feeling it will come to me.