PDA

View Full Version : Parlays (Or "Round Robins" for the old school horseplayers), Yes or No?

andymays
11-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Growing up "Round Robins" were a common term we used for a series of parlays. My typical "Round Robin" was a four horse WP round robin.

Do you think that parlays should be taken at all tracks and from track to track?

The only problem would be to have two races going off simultaneously.

horses4courses
11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
If you were to mix tracks for parlays, why limit it to simple 2-horse parlays, or round robins?
Mixing tracks would necessitate a central hub strictly for parlay wagers.

You're right about races going off at similar times, though.
No way to transfer live parlay money onto the next leg.

In the UK, for example, parlays (doubles, trebles, accumulators) are the backbone of all off-track wagers.
It's a different situation when bookmakers are taking the action, though.

In these times of modern technology, you would think it possible to set up a system for taking multi-leg parlay wagers on horse racing at different tracks.
Bettors could win large amounts for small outlay.
The Pick 4, 5, and 6 have the market cornered, I'm afraid.
Teaching old dogs new tricks? Priceless.....

andymays
11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
If you were to mix tracks for parlays, why limit it to simple 2-horse parlays, or round robins?
Mixing tracks would necessitate a central hub strictly for parlay wagers.

You're right about races going off at similar times, though.
No way to transfer live parlay money onto the next leg.

In the UK, for example, parlays (doubles, trebles, accumulators) are the backbone of all off-track wagers.
It's a different situation when bookmakers are taking the action, though.

In these times of modern technology, you would think it possible to set up a system for taking multi-leg parlay wagers on horse racing at different tracks.
Bettors could win large amounts for small outlay.
The Pick 4, 5, and 6 have the market cornered, I'm afraid.
Teaching old dogs new tricks? Priceless.....

The thing about parlays is that you're forced to make a decision without spreading for the most part. Does that make a big difference in deciding whether or not a parlay is a good bet or not? Going 3 by 3 by 3 by 3 in a P4 is a different story right?

horses4courses
11-21-2011, 07:40 PM
The thing about parlays is that you're forced to make a decision without spreading for the most part. Does that make a big difference in deciding whether or not a parlay is a good bet or not? Going 3 by 3 by 3 by 3 in a P4 is a different story right?

It's always possible to do the same thing in a parlay (3x3x3, etc.)
Most people never consider doing it, though.

andymays
11-21-2011, 07:58 PM
It's always possible to do the same thing in a parlay (3x3x3, etc.)
Most people never consider doing it, though.

Right but I'm talking about the takeout each race versus the spreading in each pool. I know someone on the board has an opinion about that.

horses4courses
11-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Right but I'm talking about the takeout each race versus the spreading in each pool. I know someone on the board has an opinion about that.

True.
Pari-mutuel parlays are always separate wagers with takeouts in each leg.
There is no way around that, unless there was a unique pool for parlays.

andymays
11-21-2011, 09:14 PM
True.
Pari-mutuel parlays are always separate wagers with takeouts in each leg.
There is no way around that, unless there was a unique pool for parlays.

What's better for the player? I think that taking a stand on one horse and paying the take in each race is better than spreading.

horses4courses
11-21-2011, 09:29 PM
What's better for the player? I think that taking a stand on one horse and paying the take in each race is better than spreading.

It varies.
There are times when a straight parlay with win mutuels pays better than a DD, PK3, 4, etc.

However, if you can get a big price on one of your winners, especially in the opening leg, the pari-mutuel multiple race wager often pays higher than a parlay would. There is a tendency for chalk to be overbet in DD, PK3s, etc.

andymays
11-21-2011, 09:33 PM
It varies.
There are times when a straight parlay with win mutuels pays better than a DD, PK3, 4, etc.

However, if you can get a big price on one of your winners, especially in the opening leg, the pari-mutuel multiple race wager often pays higher than a parlay would. There is a tendency for chalk to be overbet in DD, PK3s, etc.

Just sayin it's old school versus new school. If I remember right you were a racebook manager. I don't know when or where you started but it was a big deal before 1990 lets say.

horses4courses
11-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Just sayin it's old school versus new school. If I remember right you were a racebook manager. I don't know when or where you started but it was a big deal before 1990 lets say.

Yes.
It was a bigger deal in years gone by.
Probably stems from higher levels of horse wagering back in the day - much of it via off-track bookmakers.

You have a good memory. I have managed books before.
1981-86 in Ireland, 1987-2004 in Lake Tahoe, with a year of OTB in Chicago.

andymays
11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
If I liked 5 horses at two or three different tracks and wanted to make a WP "round robin" because I was leaving for the day I think that would be an attractive option to have. I also like to play 6 horse parlays with a combination of W-P-S wagers. A six horse parlay was the max when California allowed them.

Ocala Mike
11-22-2011, 10:34 AM
My dad was an "old school" player, and strictly small-time. His favorite play on two horses with the bookie was something like "$1 if $2 and (in?) reverse, $1 win, $1 place parlay." To this day, I still don't know how much that bet cost with two horses, but I know he thought he was getting a lot of bang for the buck.

Ocala Mike

melman
11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Andy--Voted no opinion. Not a t-bred player so not up on returns on pic3/4 with them. However on the harness side in the last few years have transfered a lot of my betting to those bets. The overlays I have been getting are outstanding. I do understand the player who has strong opinions on ONE race not wanting to mess around with the other two legs. That's not a problem for me at all. Many author's have good ideas on how to bet the pic3. I like Pandy's pic3 play. If my "A" horse wins two legs I am really in the cash. I have seen over and over returns on a pic3 like this.
Leg1 $5.40
Leg 2 $12.60
Leg 3 $7.20
Pic3 return $480.00

I don't do a lot of "spreading" four deep in a leg is about it.

andymays
11-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Andy--Voted no opinion. Not a t-bred player so not up on returns on pic3/4 with them. However on the harness side in the last few years have transfered a lot of my betting to those bets. The overlays I have been getting are outstanding. I do understand the player who has strong opinions on ONE race not wanting to mess around with the other two legs. That's not a problem for me at all. Many author's have good ideas on how to bet the pic3. I like Pandy's pic3 play. If my "A" horse wins two legs I am really in the cash. I have seen over and over returns on a pic3 like this.
Leg1 $5.40
Leg 2 $12.60
Leg 3 $7.20
Pic3 return $480.00

I don't do a lot of "spreading" four deep in a leg is about it.

If you don't spread much then I agree with you. I don't see the harm in offering the parlay for those who want to go that way. Especially online.

lamboguy
12-04-2011, 12:36 PM
i remember when they called the round robin's bird cages