PDA

View Full Version : Summer/Fall campaigns of 3yo's

Cholly
11-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Looking at the summer/fall campaigns of this year’s KY Derby entrants:

Following their run in the Derby, these twenty horses have combined for a total of 44 subsequent starts. They’ve managed nine wins with five of the victories coming in graded stakes. They also placed eight times, and ran third in 5 races.

This translates to an average post-Derby campaign (career?) of start twice, hit the board once. I can’t say how this stacks up with other years, but I do remember a Steve Crist column a few years back (2009?) wherein he totaled that years Derby contestants having combined for three victories in the year’s remainder.

FenceBored
11-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Looking at the summer/fall campaigns of this year’s KY Derby entrants:

Following their run in the Derby, these twenty horses have combined for a total of 44 subsequent starts. They’ve managed nine wins with five of the victories coming in graded stakes. They also placed eight times, and ran third in 5 races.

This translates to an average post-Derby campaign (career?) of start twice, hit the board once. I can’t say how this stacks up with other years, but I do remember a Steve Crist column a few years back (2009?) wherein he totaled that years Derby contestants having combined for three victories in the year’s remainder.

Yeah, and all three wins were Summer Bird's.