PDA

View Full Version : Cutler

Striker
11-20-2011, 11:39 PM
ESPN reporting Cutler has broken thumb and will miss the rest of the regular season. Just when the Bears are playing some pretty good football the season basically crashes now having to hand the QB duties to Caleb Hanie. Anything can happen but tough to be optimistic right now.

slew101
11-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Heard he was hurt, thought it would be a concussion from when he got kneed in the head in the third quarter.

Bears were playing really well. Might still be able to earn a WC, but it'll be tough.

Schedule is not that difficult. They should be able to get to 10 wins.

at Oakland
Chiefs
at Denver
Seattle
at GB
at Minnesota

Canarsie
11-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Heard he was hurt, thought it would be a concussion from when he got kneed in the head in the third quarter.

Bears were playing really well. Might still be able to earn a WC, but it'll be tough.

Schedule is not that difficult. They should be able to get to 10 wins.

at Oakland
Chiefs
at Denver
Seattle
at GB
at Minnesota

I think their capable of winning three games shouldn't be that difficult. Chatter on the radio today that they should consider calling Warner.

I wonder where are all the Bears fans who were killing him last year.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Terrible, terrible news.

Things like this are why I think teams should regularly insert their 2nd QB's into games for a series or two, and esp when games are well out of reach, like the Bears vs Lions two weeks ago. With the frequency of injuries to starting QB's, (note all the rules to protect QB's) it just seems critical to have the #2 ready to play and up on everything. Not sure if the 2nd or 3rd QB's run the practice plays of the opposition to get the defense ready. I know there are also rules on QB's coming back in, and roster limits, but not sure exactly what they are. But gads, not good having to start getting QB2 ready all of a sudden, although I remember Hannie made some good passes when he had his rare opportunities to play at one time.

Valuist
11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Compare the situation to Houston's. Its much, much worse. The Texans have an excellent offensive line, some great receivers in Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels, a top flight RB in Arian Foster and a veteran backup in Leinart. While Leinart didn't live up to expectations in Arizona, he's capable of being an effective game manager with his supporting weapons.

Now for the Bears; a bad offensive line and mediocre receivers. They have an excellent RB in Forte (who they don't want to pay) and they had a solid TE in Olson, who they traded. Haynie is an inexperienced backup who did have 2 nice TD drives in the NFC title game vs the Packers, but he also threw a pick 6, which iced the game for GB. Angelo risked the teams future on Cutler, didn't surround w/a good line and receivers; didn't get a veteran QB to back him up. Angelo should be fired.

Forget Warner. I heard Greenberg and Golic mention him. No chance. He's got a Hall of Fame career; a good job on the NFL Network and he's had several concussions. No chance he comes back. I suspect they will try to sign Marc Bulger.

Canarsie
11-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Compare the situation to Houston's. Its much, much worse. The Texans have an excellent offensive line, some great receivers in Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels, a top flight RB in Arian Foster and a veteran backup in Leinart. While Leinart didn't live up to expectations in Arizona, he's capable of being an effective game manager with his supporting weapons.

Now for the Bears; a bad offensive line and mediocre receivers. They have an excellent RB in Forte (who they don't want to pay) and they had a solid TE in Olson, who they traded. Haynie is an inexperienced backup who did have 2 nice TD drives in the NFC title game vs the Packers, but he also threw a pick 6, which iced the game for GB. Angelo risked the teams future on Cutler, didn't surround w/a good line and receivers; didn't get a veteran QB to back him up. Angelo should be fired.

Forget Warner. I heard Greenberg and Golic mention him. No chance. He's got a Hall of Fame career; a good job on the NFL Network and he's had several concussions. No chance he comes back. I suspect they will try to sign Marc Bulger.

The Bears have the best offensive weapon in all the NFL with Hester. Just my opinion but nobody changes the game like him. Teams wind up kicking thirty yard punts out of bounds because of his talent. He's one of few you don't get up for a cold one when their opponent is kicking.

The Bears defense is pretty darn good to shut down most teams. If the elements ever come into play they will be even better.

With the NFL who knows how anything plays out. Just like college this is one crazy year thinking who is going to get into the playoffs. Right now lots of 5-5 teams are in the hunt in the AFC.

Striker
11-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Spot on. :ThmbUp:

Valuist
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
The Bears have the best offensive weapon in all the NFL with Hester. Just my opinion but nobody changes the game like him. Teams wind up kicking thirty yard punts out of bounds because of his talent. He's one of few you don't get up for a cold one when their opponent is kicking.

The Bears defense is pretty darn good to shut down most teams. If the elements ever come into play they will be even better.

With the NFL who knows how anything plays out. Just like college this is one crazy year thinking who is going to get into the playoffs. Right now lots of 5-5 teams are in the hunt in the AFC.

Hester is the most dangerous SPECIAL TEAMS weapon in the NFL. That I agree with. Offensively, he's a liability. And his ability to return punts is inversely proportionate to how many snaps he takes on offense. Must be a conditioning thing because when he's running pass patterns 30-40 times a game he loses his explosiveness on returns.

Canarsie
11-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Hester is the most dangerous SPECIAL TEAMS weapon in the NFL. That I agree with. Offensively, he's a liability. And his ability to return punts is inversely proportionate to how many snaps he takes on offense. Must be a conditioning thing because when he's running pass patterns 30-40 times a game he loses his explosiveness on returns.

I hope you didn't think I was that dumb to mean receiver :D .

I'm not big on letting anybody into any Hall of Fame but he would get my vote as he has impacted that position by a country mile over others. No I'm not a Bear fan the Saints are my team.

Valuist
11-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I hope you didn't think I was that dumb to mean receiver :D .

I'm not big on letting anybody into any Hall of Fame but he would get my vote as he has impacted that position by a country mile over others. No I'm not a Bear fan the Saints are my team.

No I know what you meant.

I agree he should go to the HoF. Best returner I've seen and I've been watching the NFL since the mid 70s.

cj
11-21-2011, 04:42 PM
No I know what you meant.

I agree he should go to the HoF. Best returner I've seen and I've been watching the NFL since the mid 70s.

He probably is. I'll be honest though, there have been better. The fact he is not very good on offense is what keeps him there. Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers were as good a return men as you will ever see, but obviously it wasn't wise to put them out there for that.

Striker
11-21-2011, 05:11 PM
It would be interesting to see if Hester would be the same specials team player if not on the Bears. Dave Toub is one of the best special teams coaches around and I think people underestimate how much influence he has had in what Hester has done.

Valuist
11-21-2011, 05:54 PM
He probably is. I'll be honest though, there have been better. The fact he is not very good on offense is what keeps him there. Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers were as good a return men as you will ever see, but obviously it wasn't wise to put them out there for that.

I've never seen Sanders return a kick. I won't say he didn't but I saw his entire career and I can't imagine Fontes would've taken that chance. I know Sayers was great, but he was before my time. Never got to see him play.

I do remember seeing Adrian Peterson return a few kicks but that was probably his rookie year. The injury risk is just too high for the big time RBs.

cj
11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Sanders did it often in college early. He was insanely good. I'm not knocking Hester, just saying a few others could do the same if that was the focus

cj's dad
11-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Sanders - 1989 - 5 kickoff returns for 118 yards avg. 27.6- Long=43 yards

No punt returns

Canarsie
11-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Let me throw this out. This is what Hester makes on his contract that expires in 2013.

Contract: 4 yr(s) / $40,975,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/devin-hester/

Your the GM and he isn't a wide receiver what would you pay him?

cj
11-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Let me throw this out. This is what Hester makes on his contract that expires in 2013.

No wonder they don't want to pay Forte. That is way too much for his skillset IMO.

Striker
11-22-2011, 01:32 PM

You can subtract close to $10 million off that deal, as it includes a $10 million roster bonus the final year of the contract if Hester reaches performance levels of a #1 WR. He will be given something of a bonus based on his performance but that takes a huge chunk out of the contract.

Valuist
11-22-2011, 03:46 PM
No wonder they don't want to pay Forte. That is way too much for his skillset IMO.

Its true they don't want to pay Forte but they will franchise him, so they'll still have to pony up 7-8 mill/year.

I said earlier, I do believe Hester is the best return guy ever, or at least since I started watching around 1972-73. But why give him THAT much money? He hadn't proved he could play WR at that level. He isn't a good route runner, and he struggles w/the playbook.

Robert Fischer
11-22-2011, 04:35 PM
why is Cutler so often praised for his STRONG ARM.

not just strong-armed,... we are talking STRONG!:jump: ARM:jump:

he throws a good ball and can get it out there to make most and probably "all" the throws...

I just see more of a "touch" passer most of time