PDA

View Full Version : Pizza - vegetable??

Tom
11-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Remember all the snide comments by our left-leaning posters over Reagan trying to call ketchup a veggy in the school lunch program?

Well, now OBAMA wants to call pizza a veggy!

Maybe it is really time we got the FEDS out of school lunches altogether.

lamboguy
11-20-2011, 10:53 AM
i don't know anything worse than tomato sauce to stick into your body. ketchup in the very same league.

Greyfox
11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Remember all the snide comments by our left-leaning posters over Reagan trying to call ketchup a veggy in the school lunch program?

Maybe it is really time we got the FEDS out of school lunches altogether.

C'mon. As a kid my late Aunt Chovy said her pizzas grew in the garden.
(Or was that my Uncle Pete Sa who said he grew anchovies in the garden. My memory is failing me.)

Johnny V
11-20-2011, 11:05 AM
i don't know anything worse than tomato sauce to stick into your body. ketchup in the very same league.
Seriously, what is so wrong with tomato sauce?

johnhannibalsmith
11-20-2011, 11:13 AM

not only are you correct, i make sugar worse than most of the illegal drugs.

Lambo has strong feelings about food so now even I'm curious to hear how tomato sauce parallels other known toxins... Dang, Lambo, I don't hardly eat anything as it is... on your diet I'll be in serious trouble... :D

lsbets
11-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Nothing, just the opposite, it is very healthy, especially for men.

lsbets
11-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Here is one of many links regarding the value of tomatoes and tomato sauce in fighting prostate cancer:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/12/011224083820.htm

It's one of the healthiest things a man can eat.

PhantomOnTour
11-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Red sauce rules!

lamboguy
11-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Seriously, what is so wrong with tomato sauce?its full of sugar, it gets carmelized when its cooked. it also creates an terrible acidic imbalance in your system.

your body can handle small quantities of most of these things. i am afraid of anything that impedes the body's natural process of producing insulin from the pancreas.

we are just humans and we can't be perfect, but we sure as hell can be aware of what is going on in our own bodies and we should try to take care of it as good as possible. if you don't take care of yourself, no one else will be able to either.

lsbets
11-20-2011, 11:33 AM
its full of sugar, it gets carmelized when its cooked. it also creates an terrible acidic imbalance in your system.

your body can handle small quantities of most of these things. i am afraid of anything that impedes the body's natural process of producing insulin from the pancreas.

we are just humans and we can't be perfect, but we sure as hell can be aware of what is going on in our own bodies and we should try to take care of it as good as possible. if you don't take care of yourself, no one else will be able to either.

And despite scientific evidence to the contrary, you base your statements on tomato sauce on what? Can you provide a credible source to back up your statement?

lamboguy
11-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Lambo has strong feelings about food so now even I'm curious to hear how tomato sauce parallels other known toxins... Dang, Lambo, I don't hardly eat anything as it is... on your diet I'll be in serious trouble... :D
if i eat anything that has sugar in it, i get acid reflux almost imediately. what i eat is this just to let you know

breakfast---either 2 poached eggs and bacon, or a 6 ounce bowl of oatmeal

lunch--- salad every day with grilled chicken, lettuce and goat cheese

dinner---a protein, either meat, chicken or fish. i try to keep the portion to 8 ounces or less, and a green veggie, like brussel sprouts, broccoli, green beans.

i eat 2 -3 pieces of fruit during the day, and i eat either cuccomber's or peppers if i am hungry.

the whole eating plan is less than 1500 calories a day, i don't lose any weight .i run either indoors or out doors between 3 and 4 miles depending on what kind of mood i am in. i also work out with weights about 30 minutes twice a week and do a separate cardio routine twice a week. my weight stays pretty constant which is what i want. it might go up or down a pound in a week.

Johnny V
11-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I have a pot of nice homemade tomato sauce simmering right now on the stove. Pasta and sauce which is a part of the typical typical Sunday fare in my home. "Macaroni and gravy" to you NY Italian guys.

Mike at A+
11-20-2011, 11:46 AM
As an Italian, I love my tomato sauce. But it must be home made. If I used sauce from a jar, both of my grandmothers would come back to life, hunt me down and kill me. The famous scene in The Godfather shows Clemenza making the Sunday sauce and adding sugar. To me, that is a big no-no. I'd rather start with a high quality tomato (I swear by a brand called Cento) that is naturally sweet because of where it's grown (at the foot of Mount Vesuvius) and what it's grown in (soil rich with volcanic ash). Add a handful of fresh basil and you have one sweet sauce with no processed ingredients.

That said, I found this online:

Sugar in Tomatoes
One cup of sliced tomatoes contains just 5 g of sugar. Compare this to common fruits, such as grapes which offer 15 g of sugar per cup or 1 cup of apple slices with 13 g of sugar. When compared to vegetables, tomatoes are slightly higher in sugar than green choices -- one cup of zucchini, for example, contains 3 g of sugar and a cup of broccoli contains 2 g. A cup of corn kernels contains 6 g of sugar and a sweet potato contains 13 g per cooked cup.

Nutrients
Although one cup of sliced tomatoes has 5 g of sugar, it provides only 32 calories and 0 g of fat. This cup also offers 1,499 IU of vitamin A, 23 mg of vitamin C and 14 micrograms of vitamin K. Tomatoes are also a high source of potassium, with 427 mg per cup. Cooked tomatoes provide the antioxidant lycopene, which may help protect men against prostate cancer.

Considerations
Some tomato products contain added sugars. Many jarred sauces and condiments, particularly ketchup, have sugar added to soften the acidic taste tomatoes often have. Read food labels and check the ingredient list for items such as cane sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, fructose or sucrose.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/434548-are-tomatoes-high-in-sugar/#ixzz1eGSOTr9o

Light
11-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Actually Congress voted for the bill to make Pizza a vegetable. It comes down to declaring Pizza a vegetable or pushing pizza makers out of the school lunch business. Obama has been trying to make school lunches healthier and the Dept of Agriculture's plan would have excluded Pizza from the menu. So Congress declared anything containing 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce can be labeled a vegetable.

Light
11-20-2011, 12:06 PM
The ironic thing is that Obama's plan is trying to fight obesity in children. Now when parents tell their kids to stop eating Pizza cause its fattening,they can just say, "According to Congress its a vegetable and the daily recommended servings are at least 5 servings per day".

johnhannibalsmith
11-20-2011, 12:11 PM
if i eat anything that has sugar in it, i get acid reflux almost imediately. what i eat is this just to let you know...

If I eat anything whatsoever, I get acid reflux almost immediately... just for starters... Unfortunately for me, the things that I actually WILL eat aren't necessarily the things that I should eat, but given the alternative of just avoiding food... welp... I guess I have to take eat and suffer over don't eat and suffer :cool:

Johnny V
11-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Mike

Those canned tomatoes are very good. The San Marzano tomatoes (Cento or other brands) are the best as far as I am concerned, something about that volcanic ash soil seems to bring out the best in tomatoes. I agree about the sugar. I never add it. I only use the canned tomatoes when fresh tomatoes are unavailable or out of season.

FantasticDan
11-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Completely wrong.. as Light said, it was Congress that did this in response to the food lobbies, and in opposition to the Obama admin's (modest) recommendations..

http://www.annarbor.com/entertainment/food-drink/pizza-is-a-vegetable-congress-fights-obama-administration-attempts-to-make-school-lunches-healthier/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/18/us-usa-lunch-idUSTRE7AH00020111118

3N_F9pQqoJ0

Johnny V
11-20-2011, 12:35 PM
if i eat anything that has sugar in it, i get acid reflux almost imediately. what i eat is this just to let you know

breakfast---either 2 poached eggs and bacon, or a 6 ounce bowl of oatmeal

lunch--- salad every day with grilled chicken, lettuce and goat cheese

dinner---a protein, either meat, chicken or fish. i try to keep the portion to 8 ounces or less, and a green veggie, like brussel sprouts, broccoli, green beans.

i eat 2 -3 pieces of fruit during the day, and i eat either cuccomber's or peppers if i am hungry.

the whole eating plan is less than 1500 calories a day, i don't lose any weight .i run either indoors or out doors between 3 and 4 miles depending on what kind of mood i am in. i also work out with weights about 30 minutes twice a week and do a separate cardio routine twice a week. my weight stays pretty constant which is what i want. it might go up or down a pound in a week.

That is a very healthy way of eating. I notice that you totally avoid refined carbohydrates which is probably something we all should try and do. I too try to avoid them but I have to have my pasta every now and then. Hats off to your dietary discipline and exercise program.

Tom
11-20-2011, 12:59 PM
The ironic thing is that Obama's plan is trying to fight obesity in children. Now when parents tell their kids to stop eating Pizza cause its fattening,they can just say, "According to Congress its a vegetable and the daily recommended servings are at least 5 servings per day".

I can think of 15 trillion other things Obama should be worrying about.
There is is NO REASON for the feds to involved AT ALL in education. That is 100% a local issue. Whether pizza is good for kids or not is no business of the fed.

Tom
11-20-2011, 01:04 PM
So far, no one has spotted the 800 pound gorilla in all of this.

bigmack
11-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Tomatoes are a fruit. ( Not that there's anything wrong with that )

lsbets
11-20-2011, 02:36 PM
The Cento San Marzano tomatoes are awesome. No need for sugar, use a good, sweet onion. And never buy jarred sauce.

Tom
11-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Ta da!

Ocala Mike
11-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Now we'll hear from somebody that this thread is using homophobic slurs. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ocala Mike

Robert Goren
11-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Tomatoes are a fruit. ( Not that there's anything wrong with that )Hum......My Dad used call women " Tomatoes."

ldiatone
11-20-2011, 06:48 PM
its full of sugar, it gets carmelized when its cooked. it also creates an terrible acidic imbalance in your system.

we are just humans and we can't be perfect, but we sure as hell can be aware of what is going on in our own bodies and we should try to take care of it as good as possible. if you don't take care of yourself, no one else will be able to either.s
not if one makes it fresh w/ no sugar and more fresh herbs and garlic.
there is a balance between sweet, salty and sour.
all one needs is tomatoes-strainer-hand held emulsifier-flavorings(your choice) and some time. sure it may be a little "loose"(chef lingo) but still a nice sauce

PaceAdvantage
11-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Here is one of many links regarding the value of tomatoes and tomato sauce in fighting prostate cancer:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/12/011224083820.htm

It's one of the healthiest things a man can eat.My mother tells me this all the time, and Italian mothers are never wrong...seriously...just ask them... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
11-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Completely wrong.. as Light said, it was Congress that did this in response to the food lobbies, and in opposition to the Obama admin's (modest) recommendations..

http://www.annarbor.com/entertainment/food-drink/pizza-is-a-vegetable-congress-fights-obama-administration-attempts-to-make-school-lunches-healthier/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/18/us-usa-lunch-idUSTRE7AH00020111118

3N_F9pQqoJ0OMG...doesn't Mr. O'Donnell look like he just stepped out of any one of a number of modern day vampire flicks in that above frame grab?

Robert Goren
11-21-2011, 06:58 AM
There was no limit to outrage here when the posters here thought the Obama was behind it. When it is revealed that the house republicans might have had a small hand in it, the tomato becomes a cure for cancer. :rolleyes:

nijinski
11-21-2011, 07:34 AM
If I eat anything whatsoever, I get acid reflux almost immediately... just for starters... Unfortunately for me, the things that I actually WILL eat aren't necessarily the things that I should eat, but given the alternative of just avoiding food... welp... I guess I have to take eat and suffer over don't eat and suffer :cool:

Aciphex works very fast for me , or then again horse trainers are using Omeprazole ;)

nijinski
11-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Have to admit I eat alot of pasta and gravy and I love pizza . I don't see a problem with the schools serving it even if its once a week .
My step dad was a chef and when he made us gravy for the pasta he omitted the sugar and added shredded carrots . It was delish.

lamboguy
11-21-2011, 08:20 AM
when you put bad fuel in a car, the car don't run good. when you feed horses second rate food, they run poorly as well. when humans put bad things in their bodies, that human winds up with problems. high levels of sugar to me are a problem. sugar is sugar, to much of it prevents the pancreas from producing enough insulin for the body. if there is not enough insulin in the body, humans are prone to diseases.

johnhannibalsmith
11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Aciphex works very fast for me , or then again horse trainers are using Omeprazole ;)

Trust me - I eat lottsa omeprazole... thankfully I discovered Prilosec a few years back so I don't have to eat the compounded crap that comes in an unlabeled dose syringe anymore... :D

Light
11-21-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree with O'Donnell. Congress and politicians do not look out for the good of the people. They look out for the good of corporate America who put them there in the first place.

Tom
11-21-2011, 01:22 PM
We agree light, they do not represent us at all.

BlueShoe
11-21-2011, 01:32 PM
What about tomato paste? As a person with zilch cooking skills that finds it difficult to eat healthy, have always considered salt to be a larger culprit than sugar. Being very fond of tomato juice, that left me in a quandry, since commercial canned juice is absolutely loaded with salt. Then a few years ago, spotted a great idea in a Heloise household hint column. Just use tomato paste and make your own. Very low sodium and sugar, no fat or cholesterol. Add 3 to 5 parts of water, blend, and chill. Healthy tasty drink for one third the cost. Can season to taste with spices or hot sauce.

Tom
11-21-2011, 01:40 PM
ebfLWAB8bY4

cj's dad
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM

The FLOTUS