PDA

View Full Version : your online files older than 18 months can be accessed without a warrant

highnote
11-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Did you know there is a law that says data files stored on a server that are older than 18 months are considered abandoned and can be accessed by the feds without a warrant?

If you leave your email on a gmail or hotmail server or datafiles on the cloud and they are older than 18 months, big brother may be looking at them -- maybe even archiving them.

If you have private conversations that are sitting on a server they are no longer private after 18 months.

TJDave
11-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Why, are you hiding something? :lol:

I got bad news for you. Even if you remove your files they're still there.

Unless the storage medium is destroyed.

bigmack
11-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Vito, if you're out there. The hit is off.

TJDave
11-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Vito, if you're out there. The hit is off.

What happened to your little ditty? I was trying to place the chords but nothing sounded familiar. Was it a song you composed?

highnote
11-18-2011, 02:17 AM

I got bad news for you. Even if you remove your files they're still there.

Unless the storage medium is destroyed.

Forewarned is forearmed.

A person who is an entrepreneur and is sharing trade secrets with their partners may have good reason to be concerned.

A business can take longer than 18 months to get off the ground.

Let's say someone is snooping through emails and discovers a great business idea and patents it before the creator of the idea files the patent. Or what if a snooper just steals a business process or a secret formula?

There are many reasons to want to hide something. It is reasonable to keep things secret that are not illegal if they are of value.

Also, this is another example of government intrusion. 18 months is not a very long time -- and yet the U.S. government says that files 18 months old are considered abandoned.

Most people probably are not aware of the 18 month law.

GameTheory
11-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Forewarned is forearmed.

A person who is an entrepreneur and is sharing trade secrets with their partners may have good reason to be concerned.

A business can take longer than 18 months to get off the ground.

Let's say someone is snooping through emails and discovers a great business idea and patents it before the creator of the idea files the patent. Or what if a snooper just steals a business process or a secret formula?

There are many reasons to want to hide something. It is reasonable to keep things secret that are not illegal if they are of value.

Also, this is another example of government intrusion. 18 months is not a very long time -- and yet the U.S. government says that files 18 months old are considered abandoned.

Most people probably are not aware of the 18 month law.Where are you getting this? I was just reading about a court ruling that said the opposite.

Robert Goren
11-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Now that you know about it, deal with it if you need to, work to change it if you want. This is a door we openned when we started go after terrorists in ways that were previous illegal and unheard of. Only a fool would have thought those methods would not spread to other things.

highnote
11-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Where are you getting this? I was just reading about a court ruling that said the opposite.

I read it on the internet and assumed it must be true.:)

highnote
11-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Where are you getting this? I was just reading about a court ruling that said the opposite.

Found it... http://www.internationalman.com/global-perspectives/is-uncle-sam-reading-your-email

Maybe you're right and it has been changed. Maybe this site is just sensationizing the story to drive business to their site?

bigmack
11-18-2011, 08:10 PM
What happened to your little ditty? I was trying to place the chords but nothing sounded familiar. Was it a song you composed?
Sort of. I couldn't get the melody to do anything that didn't sound like M. Gaye's, What's Goin' On.

With all that has been done, it's tough not to be pastiche.

Actor
11-19-2011, 03:48 AM
Isn't everybody?