11-17-2011, 11:22 PM
A guy at the otb came up with the winner in the
6th at CD today. Not sure how, but i think he said
he liked the workouts.
His bet, $1 pick3 winner/all/all cost $99 collected $2,266.35 CDN
This bet was made through the hpi system so the takeout is higher
than in the US, on track payout was $2,447.60
$99 win bet on first race winner ($99.20 US) $99.30 hpi collects $4915.35
he gave up $2645 in hopes of taking down the pool $34,677 gross.
i believe hpi applies a 25% takeout to the pick3, so a maximum payoff for
this play would have been $26,007
His result could have been even worse, one combo was paying just over 1k!
I argued that this was a terrible bet. My partner took the other side and
felt this was the way to crush the race.
Opinions?

theguarantee
11-17-2011, 11:27 PM
The ALL button has paid off for me before, however, I think it has probably cost me more long-term than it has gained me.

Certain days like BC Day it can be a savior...but at the same time you can do what I did and wheel the turf sprint because other than the chalk you have no idea whatsoever who will win and end up chalking out....

I think in general in this game, if you don't have enough of an opinion to make some sort of stand that you're probably better off passing. Sure, the ALL button can net you a huge score, but you're banking on complete luck. Call it a chaos race if you like - but you're still basically playing a scratch-off.

tbwinner
11-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I like the ALL button in some races. There may be a favorite that I still like that can go down so if I have a good handle on the other two or three races in a pick three or pick four here's what I can do:

A(heavy fav) / AB / ABC = $6.00 x 5 times = $30.00
ALL (10 horses) / AB / ABC = $60

If the fav wins, you got 6 tickets going. If not, you have 1 ticket with hopefully a good price.

Greyfox
11-18-2011, 12:24 AM
The ALL button has paid off for me before, however, I think it has probably cost me more long-term than it has gained me.

Certain days like BC Day it can be a savior....

Yes. On BC Day if you pick your spots it can pay handsome.:ThmbUp:
In the vast majority of other races though I do not hit the All button.

thaskalos
11-18-2011, 12:33 AM
The only times I have ever used the "all" button have been during those rare occasions when I place a large wager on a straight exacta.

I would then use all the horses in the middle in a trifecta...as a inexpensive security measure.

That aside...I avoid the "all" button completely.

PhantomOnTour
11-18-2011, 12:47 AM
I've used the all button on a few occasions:

a) in 10 cent supers
b) if i like a bomb and feel the chalk is legit as well, i may play a chalk-bomb-all trifecta and a win bet on the bomb
c) in certain spots on big race days like the *Triple Crown races or BrCup day, but will not use all in a full field of 14 on BrCup day or the Derby

* i will use "all minus one" in a P3 or P4 ending in the Belmont if we have a horse going for the Triple Crown. You know who that minus one will be.

pondman
11-18-2011, 09:51 AM
I argued that this was a terrible bet. My partner took the other side and
felt this was the way to crush the race.
Opinions?

IMO, playing races in which the ALL button is required will wipe you out fast. I would rather play heavy on a single win bet.

Robert Goren
11-18-2011, 10:23 AM
When you hit the all button, you thinking/hoping the short priced horses will run out. Why not just leave them off the ticket to start off with? Just asking.

garyscpa
11-18-2011, 10:49 AM
The all button works great at tracks with a negative take-out.

Oops, they haven't lowered it that much yet. :D

skate
11-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Ah there are so many ways to use the ALL.

first, the field size.
first the cash available.
first with a high 30/40 or higher odds play

the first problem people have with this type of play...they consider ONE situation and try to apply it one way.

first the situation must be right for you

First the game is NOT structured...think fluid.

first most likely everyone on this board can give ONE good example of using THE ALL

Last...the best point about using the ALL...you'll not have to pray...yepper.

davew
11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I am not sure how big the win pool was on the 6th,
but a $100 bet to win on a 50/1 shot would drop it alot

Canarsie
11-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Not at all a fan of the "all" button but respect one's right to use after all its their money.

The only argument I always use is why play the favorite you are basically saying you don't like their chances.

Marlin
11-19-2011, 12:39 AM
If thats all he bet it was probably an impulse/spontaneous play. It would have been fun to have that ticket but...... I use the all, and would have played it entirely different. Still a cool ticket.

theguarantee
11-19-2011, 12:54 AM
I think to answer those questioning why use the ALL button as opposed to leaving the fave out - sometimes you may fee the fave can win but doesn't have to win and if you like horses at a decent price in the surrounding races maybe you just tap the all button and hope for the best. Why leave the fave out if you like horses at decent prices in the surrounding events?

skate
11-19-2011, 03:55 PM
switch the question somewhat...

where would you stop, if you thought it not a wise play to hit the ALL.?

Do you have a limit in a position, would you only play 3 or 4 horses to place or show or win position.?

My opinion, most races are close enough that if you have a really nice price, i'd hate leaving out another good PRICE to GO along, just to save a few bucks.

A lot depends on many facts, but the main concern on to "use or not", depends on the price...yep.

salty
11-20-2011, 03:52 AM
If I ever feel the need to hit the ALL button, I will ALLways pass the race.

I will never use the all button, ever, PERIOD. It is like using a cheat code to make a character indestructible in a video game. It can be fun at first but in the end the game would have been a lot more fun without it.

I have only ever seen one person use the all button regularly and that is a guy at the otb that likes playing ten cent supers with 20-1 shots on top of the rest of the field. One day he scooped two pools with that approach. I'm not saying it can't be used effectively, its just no fun for me.

I like pulling my hair out when one of my throwouts gets a nose up for 4th
I like having specific horses to root for.

How dumb would i sound if I rooted every horse home in the stretch. "Go 3 its all you....Come on 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 ONE OF YOU BETTER MAKE IT HOME!!! :lol:

JohnGalt1
11-20-2011, 07:10 AM
When I find a race where any horse could win, or no horse should win I either pass the race or hit the all button. NW2 is often the best example.

cj's dad
11-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Since any horse can run third (who h'caps 3rd ?), I use the ALL in the 3rd spot on tris.

therussmeister
11-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Since any horse can run third (who h'caps 3rd ?), I use the ALL in the 3rd spot on tris.
I handicap third. And I virtually never feel any horse can run third, or fourth. There times when I single in third whilst betting multiple horses in first and second.

I'm guessing the problem is, if a superfecta player has been seriously studying handicapping for 1000 hours, they have divided their time something like this:
900 hours learning to pick winners
80 hours learning to pick second place finishers
15 hours learning to pick third place finishers
5 hours learning to pick fourth place finishers

So third place finishers often looks as undecipherable as picking winners was when you were 15 hours into learning handicapping.

skate
11-20-2011, 03:47 PM
If I ever feel the need to hit the ALL button, I will ALLways pass the race.

I will never use the all button, ever, PERIOD. It is like using a cheat code to make a character indestructible in a video game. It can be fun at first but in the end the game would have been a lot more fun without it.

I have only ever seen one person use the all button regularly and that is a guy at the otb that likes playing ten cent supers with 20-1 shots on top of the rest of the field. One day he scooped two pools with that approach. I'm not saying it can't be used effectively, its just no fun for me.

I like pulling my hair out when one of my throwouts gets a nose up for 4th
I like having specific horses to root for.

How dumb would i sound if I rooted every horse home in the stretch. "Go 3 its all you....Come on 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 ONE OF YOU BETTER MAKE IT HOME!!! :lol:

Bit but but...wouldn't you prefer one Price horse over another when coming to the finish line.

If you do not play the "ALL", you are playing the chalk way too much.

which do happens

skate
11-20-2011, 04:03 PM
for the use of "ALL"!

HP, the 7th, Sun. 11/20/2011.

If the odds stay, ill play a Tri. and Quinella

with the 2,8 with "ALL" with 2,8., cost $20

and a 2, 8 Q cost $20:kiss:

BombsAway Bob
11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
I handicap third. And I virtually never feel any horse can run third, or fourth. There times when I single in third whilst betting multiple horses in first and second.

I'm guessing the problem is, if a superfecta player has been seriously studying handicapping for 1000 hours, they have divided their time something like this:
900 hours learning to pick winners
80 hours learning to pick second place finishers
15 hours learning to pick third place finishers
5 hours learning to pick fourth place finishers

So third place finishers often looks as undecipherable as picking winners was when you were 15 hours into learning handicapping.
Before Home Wagering & Dime Supers, when i went to Rock or Foxwoods
for an afternoon of "Screen-2-Screen" Action, my bet of choice was a
$1 Tri Wheel or Part-Wheel, keying tiring speed or hangers second, with
a price plodder to suck up for third.
Dime Supers just allow you even more leverage, and key 2nd-4th or
3rd-4th with the "Schrupp" Button used in the other spots. i love it,
even though half a Super pool is the biggest i've scooped yet.

salty
11-21-2011, 02:38 AM
Bit but but...wouldn't you prefer one Price horse over another when coming to the finish line.

If you do not play the "ALL", you are playing the chalk way too much.

which do happens

Are you saying that in a ten horse race you can't manage to throw two of them out of your ticket?

Do you use the all button no matter what in any field size?

What do you mean if I don't play the all then I am playing the chalk too much?

This isn't always a game of roulette.

cj's dad
11-22-2011, 04:37 PM

I'm only into hour 12- hopefully in the next 2-3 hours I'll catch on.