PDA

View Full Version : why did they end the sunshine millions?

toussaud
11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
It was actually a neat little event they had

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/santa-anita-joins-gulfstream-in-hosting-separate-sunshine-millions-jan-28/

why get in the pissing contest against each other, makes no sense to me

FenceBored
11-16-2011, 04:43 PM

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/santa-anita-joins-gulfstream-in-hosting-separate-sunshine-millions-jan-28/

I've heard of one hand not knowing what the other is doing, but this is ridiculous.

Spalding No!
11-16-2011, 05:34 PM
The Sunshine Millions was one of the worst ideas in racing history.

Not sure how much Gulfstream Park's stakes schedule suffered, but the Santa Anita winter meet stakes program was completely dismembered by this silly event. Having major stakes horses like Lava Man, Southern Image, Amazombie, Miesque's Approval, Go Between, Silver Wagon, Star Over The Bay, Forbidden Apple, Presious Passion, The Usual QT, Caracortado, Benny The Bull, Georgie Boy, Evening Jewel, Ginger Punch, Dream Of Summer, House Of Fortune, Idiot Proof, Lost In The Fog, Bob Black Jack, and Nashoba's Key run in restricted events in the middle of the meet is a miscalculation of epic proportions when you have important graded stakes on the calendar suffering as a result.

cj
11-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes, good riddance. Graded stakes races are watered down enough already.

andymays
11-16-2011, 06:06 PM
It was a great event when California was competetive but that hasn't been the case in a few years.

The real attraction is following the politics of California Racing if you have the courage/sanity to make it through the learning curve. LOL

cj
11-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Just another dumb Stronach idea biting the dust

Spalding No!
11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
It was a great event when California was competetive but that hasn't been the case in a few years.

It has nothing to do with the competitiveness of California horses matched up to Florida horses. Who cares about California-breds versus Florida-breds? Does that harbor any significance to the national racing scene? It was never a great event. It's simply another example of California racing shooting itself in the foot.

How can a pointless event that takes away horses from the Strub series, the Big Cap series, the Santa Margarita series, the La Canada series, the San Juan Capistrano series, and a host of other stakes be good?

andymays
11-16-2011, 06:35 PM
It has nothing to do with the competitiveness of California horses matched up to Florida horses. Who cares about California-breds versus Florida-breds? Does that harbor any significance to the national racing scene? It was never a great event. It's simply another example of California racing shooting itself in the foot.

How can a pointless event that takes away horses from the Strub series, the Big Cap series, the Santa Margarita series, the La Canada series, the San Juan Capistrano series, and a host of other stakes be good?

How much caffein have you had?

It was a marketing event that worked for the first year or two but ended up embarrassing Cal breds.

Cardus
11-16-2011, 06:41 PM

Well, you've had less sensible ideas.

And, to answer the thread question: they ran out of cheerleaders.

andymays
11-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Well, you've had less sensible ideas.

And, to answer the thread question: they ran out of cheerleaders.

They ran out of shipping money and some purse money.

Spalding No!
11-16-2011, 06:58 PM
How much caffein have you had?

It was a marketing event that worked for the first year or two but ended up embarrassing Cal breds.

Keep worrying about the suits in the front office running the California racetracks.

Clearly you couldn't care less about the actual racing going on in front of the grandstands.

Any conspiracy theories about infield food truck festivals to expose?

andymays
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Keep worrying about the suits in the front office running the California racetracks.

Clearly you couldn't care less about the actual racing going on in front of the grandstands.

Isn't Spalding a compay that makes baseball gloves? Speaking of gloves how about putting one over your ...................

Thanks,

A

NJ Stinks
11-16-2011, 07:17 PM
I always looked forward to Sunshine Millions Day. What else was going on in late Janaury that could get so many good horses in the entry box?

Stronach may have had some wild ideas along the way but the Sunshine Millions wasn't one of them IMO. And neither was the Magna 5 - the only bet in horseracing that I'm 100% sure I'm up on to date. :)

andymays
11-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I always looked forward to Sunshine Millions Day. What else was going on in late Janaury that could get so many good horses in the entry box?

Stronach may have had some wild ideas along the way but the Sunshine Millions wasn't one of them IMO. And neither was the Magna 5 - the only bet in horseracing that I'm 100% sure I'm up on to date. :)

NJ, did I ever tell you that you were the best? LOL

Spalding No!
11-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Isn't Spalding a compay that makes baseball gloves? Speaking of gloves how about putting one over your ...................

Thanks,

A

That's it? That's all you got?

Come on. At least give us a link to some CHRB minutes followed by...

Excerpt:

?????????

I guess it could have been worse, though. At least I didn't get called a monkey...

andymays
11-16-2011, 07:23 PM

Excerpt:

?????????

I guess it could have been worse, though. At least I didn't get called a monkey...

I'm confused by your innuendo.

Let me know what you need and I will give it to you. Be specific Pal.

Spalding No!
11-16-2011, 07:26 PM

How about graded stakes like the Strub Stakes at $500k, the Donn Handicap at $500k, the La Canada at $300k, the San Antonio at $300k, the Santa Margarita at $300k, the San Vicente at $150k, the San Marcos at $200k, etc.?

andymays
11-16-2011, 07:27 PM

Excerpt:

?????????

Are you sure you want to go down the road to perdition? LOL

FenceBored
11-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Somebody help me. How do you figure it's going away.

Jan 28 at GP - Sunshine Millions [for Florida Breds] (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/66168/gulfstream-to-host-florida-sunshine-millions)*
Jan 28 at SA - Sunshine Millions [for Cal Breds] (http://www.santaanita.com/press/pressrelease/2011/11/1-million-sunshine-millions-day-set-jan-28-santa-anita-ctba-toc-team)

That reads to me like a zombie event that's still here, just dumber than ever.

* not to be confused with the Florida Millions card l (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/66177/turbo-powers-florida-millions-day-at-calder)ast weekend at Calder.

andymays
11-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Somebody help me. How do you figure it's going away.

Jan 28 at GP - Sunshine Millions [for Florida Breds] (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/66168/gulfstream-to-host-florida-sunshine-millions)*
Jan 28 at SA - Sunshine Millions [for Cal Breds] (http://www.santaanita.com/press/pressrelease/2011/11/1-million-sunshine-millions-day-set-jan-28-santa-anita-ctba-toc-team)

That reads to me like a zombie event that's still here, just dumber than ever.

* not to be confused with the Florida Millions card l (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/66177/turbo-powers-florida-millions-day-at-calder)ast weekend at Calder.

I bow to your brilliance.

Spalding No!
11-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Are you sure you want to go down the road to perdition? LOL

Wow. You turn dark pretty quick. I guess that makes it OK.

andymays
11-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow. You turn dark pretty quick. I guess that makes it OK.

How about we let the thread get back on track "Dick Tracy"?

You can fight with someone else tonight if it makes you happy.

A

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2011, 07:47 PM
How much caffein have you had?This remark was totally uncalled for...how utterly disappointing that you would come back with a remark like this after Spalding gave you what by all accounts was a genuine and thoughtful reply...you deserve everything that follows as a result of your childish remark.

But this isn't the first time you've gone off on someone like this totally unprovoked.

andymays
11-16-2011, 07:49 PM
This remark was totally uncalled for...how utterly disappointing that you would come back with a remark like this after Spalding gave you what by all accounts was a genuine and thoughtful reply...you deserve everything that follows as a result of your childish remark.

But this isn't the first time you've gone off on someone like this totally unprovoked.
Are you losing it? Your remark was completely uncalled for. If you can't let Spalding take a little punch in the jaw then maybe you've become way too sensitive.

Just sayin,
A

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Are you losing it? Your remark was completely uncalled for. If you can't let Spalding take a little punch in the jaw then maybe you've become way too sensitive.

Just sayin,
ABullshit. Read what went down again...how do you justify your original comment that did nothing but start yet another detour into bullshit land for the rest of us?

andymays
11-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Bullshit. Read what went down again...how do you justify your original comment that did nothing but start yet another detour into bullshit land for the rest of us?

Hey tough guy! I'm sorry you read it that way and you are totally wrong but it's your turf to do whatever you want with it.

A

andymays
11-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Good night everyone. I'm sorry it ended up like this but I think I'm right. :ThmbUp:

cj
11-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Good night everyone. I'm sorry it ended up like this but I think I'm right. :ThmbUp:

Right about what? You took a thread about actual races and tried to make it about California track management...again.

Cardus
11-16-2011, 10:32 PM
This remark was totally uncalled for...how utterly disappointing that you would come back with a remark like this after Spalding gave you what by all accounts was a genuine and thoughtful reply...you deserve everything that follows as a result of your childish remark.

Sharp post.

Cardus
11-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Bullshit. Read what went down again...how do you justify your original comment that did nothing but start yet another detour into bullshit land for the rest of us?

Speak for yourself.

andymays
11-17-2011, 01:00 AM

No man. C'mon. Say whatever you want and it's your deal but you're going a little bit overboard with the outrage stuff. Just my opinion.

Thanks,
A

andymays
11-17-2011, 09:19 AM

I have no idea why it's OK for a guy to cheap shot me and then when I answer back I'm the one who is admonished.

His post was out of line. Unless I'm missing something. :confused:

cj
11-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I have no idea why it's OK for a guy to cheap shot me and then when I answer back I'm the one who is admonished.

His post was out of line. Unless I'm missing something. :confused:

I'm guessing the point is you started it. He made a reasonable post about what the series did to the stakes races at Santa Anita, and your response was asking how much caffeine he had after making a completely off point post about the politics in California racing.

Don't we have 4,153 threads already discussing those issues? What does the caffeine line even mean?

toussaud
11-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I mean technically andy started it, but I kinda see Andy's point int he sense that asking someone "are they on too much caffeine".. i mean if you are offended by that you need to go put on your big boy underwear. A well timed joke/response /funny remark could have put that to bed in 1 post, something along the lines of "well not as much as frank stronach apparently".. bam, end of it.

On the other hand, this is why I generally stay away from pot shots becuase you don't know how someone else will react. You might have caught that person on the wrong day.

In other words I don't think his response required the backlash that it got, but andy technically did start it with that.

some very good horses have used the sunshine millions as springboards to really good things. Bob Black Jack won the sprint race they have and then damn near pulled off the santa anita derby. Amazombie this past year won the Sunshine millions sprint and went on to win I want to say the Arcadia race which is a grade 2, and win the Breeders cup sprint.

With it being where it is in the year, it's really an expensive non graded prep race for the other big races on the card later in the year. remember it's really in about the first 3rd of the meet.

anyway, I kinda liked the sunshine millions even with all it's faults, and I think the dubai world cup has done more to hurt the Santa Anita program than the sunshine millions has.

cj
11-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I mean technically andy started it, but I kinda see Andy's point int he sense that asking someone "are they on too much caffeine".. i mean if you are offended by that you need to go put on your big boy underwear. A well timed joke/response /funny remark could have put that to bed in 1 post, something along the lines of "well not as much as frank stronach apparently".. bam, end of it.

On the other hand, this is why I generally stay away from pot shots becuase you don't know how someone else will react. You might have caught that person on the wrong day.

In other words I don't think his response required the backlash that it got, but andy technically did start it with that.

anyway, I kinda liked the sunshine millions even with all it's faults, and I think the dubai world cup has done more to hurt the Santa Anita program than the sunshine millions has.

It wasn't just that, he completely tried to change the subject to something that is discussed ad nauseum here and then seemed offended when called on it.

toussaud
11-17-2011, 11:08 AM
i can agree with that.

andymays
11-17-2011, 02:47 PM
It wasn't just that, he completely tried to change the subject to something that is discussed ad nauseum here and then seemed offended when called on it.

It has everything to do with what's been going on in California. Besides Cal Breds not being very competitive I suspect that most of the outfits didn't want to ship

and the caffein thing? I don't get it.

Spalding No!
11-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I
and the caffein thing? I don't get it.

That's because you're a martyr, andy.

Just like Franco Harris.

andymays
11-17-2011, 04:21 PM
That's because you're a martyr, andy.

Just like Franco Harris.

Here we go. You don't know me at all but you want to label me.

can you explain how you think that I'm some sort or martyr and how I'm just like Franco Harris?

Please answer!

Spalding No!
11-17-2011, 05:00 PM
With it being where it is in the year, it's really an expensive non graded prep race for the other big races on the card later in the year. remember it's really in about the first 3rd of the meet.

Horses aren't likely to be simply "prepping" when they are running for $1 million dollar purses. Those horses you mentioned could have run in any number of graded stakes within days of the Sunshine Millions. As CJ said, it helped dilute already anemic graded stakes. Bob Black Jack could have been in the San Vicente, Amazombie could have run in the Palos Verdes, etc.

Certainly, Dubai doesn't help the Big Cap (or the Oaklawn Handicap for that matter), however, the difference is that the Sunshine Millions is run at the very same track as the open stakes races that are negatively affected. It's inane.