PDA

View Full Version : Suff, turn the Sox over, they're done...

sq764
12-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Well Suff, I think the Sox just wrote their ticket to another failing year. They are going to announce Terry Francona as the new manager!!

He managed our Phillies years back and all I can say is if the Boston fans felt bad last year, wait till they get a load of this guy.

Firing Little was a very very stupid move.

Zaf
12-04-2003, 02:26 PM
It would be pretty hard to screw up with that Pitching Staff.

ZAFONIC

sq764
12-04-2003, 02:35 PM
He would screw up with koufax, Drysdale, Gibson and Spahn.

JustRalph
12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by sq764
He would screw up with koufax, Drysdale, Gibson and Spahn.

You couldn't screw that group up. The only one I really remember watching was Gibson.........man he was awesome. I don't think Francona is a good fit. Pedro and those boys are going to walk all over him.

Suff
12-04-2003, 07:49 PM
I watched the Press conference. He had a little stage fright in his Voice and his demeanor.. and thats not a Good sign for a Boston Manager.. with the Media and fans being the way they are. But we'll see... it is a Big step and he had every right to be nervous.

They are calling his 4 years in Philly as an "apprenticeship" stint. In his front Office Jobs in Cleveland and Oakland he was very successful. In oaklnad he was in charge of Using Data and technology to Prepare the Team for each game. He spoke about "quantative statistics" during the interview today. I think they're hoping the experience in Philly, the Front office success , youth and his ability to get along with players will translate into what this team needs.

cj
12-04-2003, 08:08 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1678487)

PaceAdvantage
12-05-2003, 01:18 AM
Well Suff, I think the Sox just wrote their ticket to another failing year. They are going to announce Terry Francona as the new manager!!

He managed our Phillies years back and all I can say is if the Boston fans felt bad last year, wait till they get a load of this guy.

Firing Little was a very very stupid move.

Many Yankee fans were saying the same kind of thing about Joe Torre when he was brought on in 1996....

sq764
12-05-2003, 09:23 AM
so let me understand here..

In a few days, it's possible that the Sox will have Alex Rodriguez at short, Manny Ramirez traded to the Rangers and Nomar traded to the Angels..

WOW..

Suff
12-05-2003, 05:24 PM
so let me understand here..

In a few days, it's possible that the Sox will have Alex Rodriguez at short, Manny Ramirez traded to the Rangers and Nomar traded to the Angels..

WOW..

we'd have to eat all of A-rods 125 Mil,,, and a High % of Manny's 20 mil a year deal.. Like 25% or more I think...

The powers that be are in a Pow Wow now.

CumberlandBluesHSH
12-05-2003, 06:16 PM
they aren't going to eat a significant portion of Manny's deal - maybe the $1M bonus he gets if he's traded plus a token amount to cover a futility infielder's salary or something like that. If Hart think's he's gonna get more than that, he's wrong.

A lot of stuff has to happen for this to make sense for the Sox....either Nomar's gotta agree to move to 2B, or they gotta find a trade for him that gets them a good 2B or a good bat for LF since there'll be a gaping hole in LF if they trade Manny (I don't wanna see Millar staggering around out there for more than 10-15 games, he's a 1B/DH) - and they still gotta fill whichever of 2B/LF doesn't get filled by Nomar or a Nomar trade. So, while A-Rod is an upgrade over Nomar at SS....is A-Rod/joeschmoe LFer an upgrade over Nomar/Manny? Depends on who the joeschmoe LFer ends up being, and payroll/roster flexibility becomes more of an issue w/ A-Rod than Manny cuz of the extra money and time on A-Rod's deal.

I'm not saying A-Rod-for-Manny won't happen, cuz it might, but with all that needs to happen for it to make sense, I don't think it's nearly as likely as Gammons and the like would have us believe. I'd put it at 20% or so at best.

And I kinda hope it doesn't happen. While I'll be happy with the upgrades - as I'm pretty confident in Theo & Co. to not do this if it's not a net gain - any scenario that involves Nomar leaving bums me out as just love watching this guy play...and I like Manny a whole lot more than most too. I think A-Rod's a fantastic player and I'm sure I'd love having him on my side...but I really like the crew they have together now and I'd like to see them get one more shot at taking out the evil empire.