PDA

View Full Version : One week from today...

PhantomOnTour
11-14-2011, 08:58 AM
...the whole PhantomOnTour extended family crew are headed to NYC and my first ever visit to a NYRA track. I play NY tracks almost exclusively and this is a huge thrill for me.
Going to be at Aqu on Friday Nov25 for a nice card featuring the Gr2 Go For Wand (i wondered where that race had gone).
Going to take a ride out to Belmont as well, just to see the place.

CAN'T WAIT!!!

Oh yeah, the women think we're going to NYC for that Macy's parade...they'll never learn :)

Anyone else have plans to be at the Big A the day after turkey day?

maddog42
11-14-2011, 09:16 AM
...the whole PhantomOnTour extended family crew are headed to NYC and my first ever visit to a NYRA track. I play NY tracks almost exclusively and this is a huge thrill for me.
Going to be at Aqu on Friday Nov25 for a nice card featuring the Gr2 Go For Wand (i wondered where that race had gone).
Going to take a ride out to Belmont as well, just to see the place.

CAN'T WAIT!!!

Oh yeah, the women think we're going to NYC for that Macy's parade...they'll never learn :)

Anyone else have plans to be at the Big A the day after turkey day?

Have a good time Phantom. I have been to the New York, but never AQU or BEL. I am envious.

cj's dad
11-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Flying or driving ?

PhantomOnTour
11-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Flying...civil war would break out if we spent that much time in a car together. Relatives from Baltimore are driving in.

First 2 days are all NYC tourist things, and even then we won't get to do and see all that we want.
I'd like to visit the Ed Sullivan Theater & Madison Square Garden, and I just wanna stand on the pier and look at Lady Liberty in person :ThmbUp:

Tom
11-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Ah, the Phantom on Tour Tour. :ThmbUp:

Sounds like an Occupy Aqueduct event. :D

PhantomOnTour
11-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Big agenda today...occupying wall st for 2hrs...off to Aqu for the early DD...then to some watering hole to watch the LSU Tigers..

NY is completely and totally awesome...time of my life

ManU918
11-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Big agenda today...occupying wall st for 2hrs...off to Aqu for the early DD...then to some watering hole to watch the LSU Tigers..

NY is completely and totally awesome...time of my life

Nice to hear your having a good time.

lamboguy
11-25-2011, 09:12 AM
in today's 5th race at the big A, #1 DREAMIN OF SILVER has been training better his last 2 works. the only problem is that TIM HILLS don't win first out in NEW JERSEY let alone NEW YORK. the field don't look that stellar. so i would probably make a plan ahead of time to bet him today and if he gets beat to chase him 2 more times after today. that's why they call this gambling!

pondman
11-25-2011, 10:37 AM
11/25 looks chalky, expect low prices.

6th- Repoles dropping :9: primed for success. Either you go with it or stay out of the race.

lamboguy
11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
in today's 5th race at the big A, #1 DREAMIN OF SILVER has been training better his last 2 works. the only problem is that TIM HILLS don't win first out in NEW JERSEY let alone NEW YORK. the field don't look that stellar. so i would probably make a plan ahead of time to bet him today and if he gets beat to chase him 2 more times after today. that's why they call this gambling!
beat one horse today, gonna chase this guy twice

Canarsie
11-25-2011, 06:06 PM
If you have a chance go to Chinatown or Little Italy they are next to each other.

Here's Wo Hop's menu

http://menupages.com/restaurants/wo-hop/menu

If you can read Chinese you get a nice discount. :lol:

PhantomOnTour
11-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Totally blew a very nice tri in R1 today at the Big A...who cares how...i just did :bang:

In 4 days we did:
Chinatown
Soho/Greenwich
Harlem
Central Park
Brooklyn
The Big A
that parade on thursday
Chelsea Market (awesome)
The Bowery
Wall St
911 Memorial

and lots of drinking...i mean LOTS of drinking y'all

Home to cajunland tomorrow...one last bash tonight

NYC is an amazing place...expensive, but amazing.
wow!

OTM Al
11-25-2011, 07:21 PM
If you have a chance go to Chinatown or Little Italy they are next to each other.

Here's Wo Hop's menu

http://menupages.com/restaurants/wo-hop/menu

If you can read Chinese you get a nice discount. :lol:

Wo Hop? Damn. Haven't been there for a while. That the downstairs or upstairs version? Big difference in food and atmosphere.

Cardus
11-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Wo Hop? Damn. Haven't been there for a while. That the downstairs or upstairs version? Big difference in food and atmosphere.

I haven't been there in a long time, too.

The last time I went there, I recall going downstairs for lunch.

It's a hole in the wall that you'd have to know that it's there, else you'd go right past it.

alhattab
11-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Totally blew a very nice tri in R1 today at the Big A...who cares how...i just did :bang:

In 4 days we did:
Chinatown
Soho/Greenwich
Harlem
Central Park
Brooklyn
The Big A
that parade on thursday
Chelsea Market (awesome)
The Bowery
Wall St
911 Memorial

Home to cajunland tomorrow...one last bash tonight

NYC is an amazing place...expensive, but amazing.
wow!

Good for you Phantom. Having lived in NJ for 42 years (I'm 42) and worked in NY for the last 11, I can get a bit jaded so it's great to hear about people visiting and enjoying. Thanksgiving is a cool time too b/c you get lots of out of towners and kids who I walk past while commuting and it's great. For Saturday weather is going to be great. Grab some breakfast on the go and get into Central Park.

Canarsie
11-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Downstairs 17 Mott. No atmosphere but the food is great and we had our own special waiter. We would go with a huge crowd and tipped really well. Every time we went he was allowed to pick out a traditional Chinese dish for us.

The discount for the Chinese menu is true once we were forced to share a table with people who didn't speak Englsih. We almost ordered identical items but the disparity in the bill was huge.

For a transplanted Brooklynite you do pretty well for yourself. :ThmbUp:

Tom
11-26-2011, 10:06 AM

Proud as Hell of ya! :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
11-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Downstairs 17 Mott. No atmosphere but the food is great and we had our own special waiter. We would go with a huge crowd and tipped really well. Every time we went he was allowed to pick out a traditional Chinese dish for us.

The discount for the Chinese menu is true once we were forced to share a table with people who didn't speak Englsih. We almost ordered identical items but the disparity in the bill was huge.

For a transplanted Brooklynite you do pretty well for yourself. :ThmbUp:

Downstairs was like the McDonalds of Chinese food. Fast and tasty (ok, better than McDonalds on that last count) but not exactly a high quality product. Upstairs is much closer to real Chinese. We'd hit the downstairs around 4 am or so back when I could do such things (it was usually either there or the Waverly Diner after a friday night out), but when it was my birthday, I insisted on an early dinner upstairs. One of the guys we hung with was originally from Hong Kong and half the time one or both of his brothers would be along as well, so no issues there.

Canarsie
11-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Had to be a different store front there was no upstairs at 17 I'm quite sure of that. If we ever meet I'll tell you the funny story how I know that fact.

Unless it's been open the last ten years or fifteen years then I guess it's possible didn't pay attention.

Funny you should say that about Hong Kong we were shown the place by a Chinese restaurant owner in NJ.

alhattab
11-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Every now and then you see a Wo Hop t-shirt. I've seen a few at Monmouth Park. It is sort of a legendary place everyone seems to know about it. I used to go there every now and then I think on Monday's when I was a teenager after making trips to Belmont. A few packs of Bud 16 oz bombers from the bodega next door and you were all set.

OTM Al
11-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Had to be a different store front there was no upstairs at 17 I'm quite sure of that. If we ever meet I'll tell you the funny story how I know that fact.

Unless it's been open the last ten years or fifteen years then I guess it's possible didn't pay attention.

Funny you should say that about Hong Kong we were shown the place by a Chinese restaurant owner in NJ.

Haven't been there in probably 8 years, but there certainly was a separate restaurant run by the same folks at street level. Entirely different menu, entirely different vibe. But pretty good. Unfortunately the "leader" of our little crew always wanted the downstairs stuff as he had something against vegetables. We used to refer to what he ordered as "Beef Lo Fan"

Got to say the one I always liked best down in that area was Joe Shanghai. Crab Soup Dumplings.....mmmmm....and would always order an off the menu flounder dish.

Canarsie
11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Haven't been there in probably 8 years, but there certainly was a separate restaurant run by the same folks at street level. Entirely different menu, entirely different vibe. But pretty good. Unfortunately the "leader" of our little crew always wanted the downstairs stuff as he had something against vegetables. We used to refer to what he ordered as "Beef Lo Fan"

Got to say the one I always liked best down in that area was Joe Shanghai. Crab Soup Dumplings.....mmmmm....and would always order an off the menu flounder dish.

We're getting a little off topic shoot me. My favorite was snails in black bean sauce they are out of this world.The pan fried flounder was good also along with the sea bass. Let me throw in the fried squid also.

But my favorite thing to do was order the pork buns from the shop on the corner. I can never go to Chinatown and not bring home at least a dozen of them. It was right above Hop Kee at 21 Mott.

I don't know if you ever saw the chicken across the street that would never lose at tic tac toe he was a trip.