PDA

View Full Version : Borel moving Gulfstream for the winter

toussaud
11-13-2011, 02:57 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/66183/borel-moving-tack-to-gulfstream

I don't know how I feel about this. He was such a fixture at oaklawn

mannyberrios
11-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Go get em Calvin!

sandpit
11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
he'll win about as many races as Florent Geroux

Valuist
11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
he'll win about as many races as Florent Geroux

You planning on a big meet from Geroux? A lot of Kentucky barns will race there. He will have no problem lining up live mounts.

Let me guess: only New York riders are allowed to win down there?

GatetoWire
11-13-2011, 10:02 PM
You planning on a big meet from Geroux? A lot of Kentucky barns will race there. He will have no problem lining up live mounts.

I think you need to check out the current Churchill PP's. Since Calvin's DUI at Ellis Park he has been ice cold. 4-54 at the current Churchill meet and he is not getting very many rides from any of the top barns right now.

Exactly which Kentucky trainers that currently use him are Gulfstream powerhouses that will give him these live mounts?

Romans and Maker were the only Kentucky trainers in the top 20 at GP last winter and neither of them use Calvin.

He should be as popular at Gulfstream as he was at Saratoga. So popular that he had to go to Ellis this summer.

Beachbabe
11-13-2011, 11:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see him & Castellano share a dressing room for 3 1/2 months.

tbwinner
11-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Interesting move. Personally, don't think it'll work out for him.

The Hawk
11-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Interesting move. Personally, don't think it'll work out for him.

Does anyone think he might be doing it to give himself a bit of a break after all these years? Gulfstream is dark three days a week, maybe he wants to sit on the beach a couple of days. He's certainly earned that.

BIG49010
11-14-2011, 10:28 AM
You might be surprised, with the December start of the meeting, the horses and trainers could be very different this year. He works hard in the morning, and a little early success might get him live mounts from many trainers.

I think it is a good move, if it doesn't work out, he can go to Oaklawn at the end of January.

rrpic6
11-14-2011, 06:51 PM
You might be surprised, with the December start of the meeting, the horses and trainers could be very different this year. He works hard in the morning, and a little early success might get him live mounts from many trainers.

I think it is a good move, if it doesn't work out, he can go to Oaklawn at the end of January.

Or Tampa Bay or Turfway. I predict a winning percentage of .03% at Gulfstream for him.

RR

The Hawk
11-14-2011, 09:52 PM
From DRF:

Hissam said Borel is changing his usual schedule to ride primarily for longtime client Ian Wilkes, who remains closely affiliated with Carl Nafzger. The first of Borel’s three Kentucky Derby winners, Street Sense (2007), was trained by Nafzger.

Wilkes has his main winter base at the Palm Meadows training center just north of Gulfstream. Wilkes is the trainer of Motor City, a Street Sense gelding aboard whom Borel won the Oct. 30 Iroquois Stakes at Churchill, as well as several other promising 2-year-olds, Hissam said.

“When you get a chance to ride a group of nice horses, you take it,” he said.

http://www.drf.com/news/churchill-downs-borel-planning-ride-gulfstream-december

Valuist
11-15-2011, 04:08 PM
I think you need to check out the current Churchill PP's. Since Calvin's DUI at Ellis Park he has been ice cold. 4-54 at the current Churchill meet and he is not getting very many rides from any of the top barns right now.

Exactly which Kentucky trainers that currently use him are Gulfstream powerhouses that will give him these live mounts?

Romans and Maker were the only Kentucky trainers in the top 20 at GP last winter and neither of them use Calvin.

He should be as popular at Gulfstream as he was at Saratoga. So popular that he had to go to Ellis this summer.

54 mounts? That's not a real big sample size for a rider. Probably more a reflection of the rail on the dirt track at CD. I'm not saying he's going to be 20% but I can easily see him winning 10-13% there.

Robert Fischer
11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
i like what Borel can do in the mornings when he is willing to get on certain important horses and condition them to respond.

Rise Over Run
11-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Or Tampa Bay or Turfway. I predict a winning percentage of .03% at Gulfstream for him.RR

0.03% is a very small win percentage, basically nil. Are you sure you're not confusing that with his typical BAC? :confused: :confused:

David-LV
11-15-2011, 08:52 PM
When you embarrass the sport on national tv on racing biggest day no matter who was right or wrong it tends to lay on the subconscious of many of the owners and trainers in the sport, plus as a rider he is nothing special.
I don't see him doing much at GP.

________
David-LV

Valuist
11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
When you embarrass the sport on national tv on racing biggest day no matter who was right or wrong it tends to lay on the subconscious of many of the owners and trainers in the sport, plus as a rider he is nothing special.

________
David-LV

I do not root for individual riders and consider them decidedly below trainers in terms of handicapping importance but the above comment is just ignorant.

First off, nobody cares what happens in the BC Marathon. Its a foolish race that shouldn't even be a part of the program. Secondly, did you happen to watch his rides in the 2007, 2009 and 2010 Derbies? Sure he may be a one trick pony, but I'll take the addicted ground saver over the scared to death, wide loving fool.

David-LV
11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
I do not root for individual riders and consider them decidedly below trainers in terms of handicapping importance but the above comment is just ignorant.

First off, nobody cares what happens in the BC Marathon. Its a foolish race that shouldn't even be a part of the program. Secondly, did you happen to watch his rides in the 2007, 2009 and 2010 Derbies? Sure he may be a one trick pony, but I'll take the addicted ground saver over the scared to death, wide loving fool.

What is so ignorant about an opinion that is probably more true then false.
Three rides on his home track does not make a great rider.:confused:
And by the way that is Calvin sitting on Street Sense in my avatar.
I have nothing against him, but I am giving my opinion of why he is not getting many live mounts.
Is not a forum mostly opinions?

_______
David-LV

Robert Fischer
11-15-2011, 10:17 PM

i missed what happened in the BC Marathon ... looked like he was making a great sweeping move and the horse couldn't comply.

FenceBored
11-15-2011, 10:17 PM

________
David-LV

I thought Johnny V did alright at Gulfstream.

David-LV
11-15-2011, 10:21 PM
i missed what happened in the BC Marathon ... looked like he was making a great sweeping move and the horse couldn't comply.

It what happened after the BC Marathon when he went nuts on national tv and attacked JJ. Castellano.

________
David-LV

GatetoWire
11-15-2011, 10:28 PM
54 mounts? That's not a real big sample size for a rider. Probably more a reflection of the rail on the dirt track at CD. I'm not saying he's going to be 20% but I can easily see him winning 10-13% there.

I know it's a small sample but check out the entries from last week and the next 3 days.
He does not seem to be riding for the top barns right now and he seems to be riding a lot of higher priced horses than before.

Since he won the Spring Churchill meet in 2010 he has not the same success that he once had. Lanerie, Leparoux and Bridgmohan are getting most of the live Churchill mounts and Calvin just is not as popular with the Kentucky trainers that he once was.

His Oaklawn numbers were also down this year. Numbers don't lie. Calvin is just not performing like he did a few years back.

Robert Fischer
11-15-2011, 10:35 PM
It what happened after the BC Marathon when he went nuts on national tv and attacked JJ. Castellano.

________
David-LV

thanks i remember this in 2010... not sure if this was an unfortunate repeate or still a bad taste from a past mistake... little hazy on the details. Thanks.

Striker
11-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I find it hard to believe that Wilkes will give Borel every mount on these 2 year olds like stated in the article considering Wilkes has used Leparoux a lot at the Gulfstream meets. Obviously, he will continue to ride Motor City. Lots more turf racing at GP with IMO the best turf riders in the country down there, and although I would consider him an alright jock on the turf. I wouldn't say that is Borel's cup of tea.

DigitalDownsJoe
11-15-2011, 11:10 PM
I think he will be in the 8-10% range..With a mediocre amount of mounts..

Rapid Grey
11-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Fairgrounds always seemed like the most logical winter meet for Calvin to hang his tack imo. Their dirt track most resembles Chuchill and the riding colony wouldn't be as tough either.

If he's not getting the mounts at Churchill he will not get them at Gulfstream either. He'll probably give it a six week shot and be back at Hot Springs by the end of January.

toussaud
11-16-2011, 07:30 AM
I know it's a small sample but check out the entries from last week and the next 3 days.
He does not seem to be riding for the top barns right now and he seems to be riding a lot of higher priced horses than before.

Since he won the Spring Churchill meet in 2010 he has not the same success that he once had. Lanerie, Leparoux and Bridgmohan are getting most of the live Churchill mounts and Calvin just is not as popular with the Kentucky trainers that he once was.

His Oaklawn numbers were also down this year. Numbers don't lie. Calvin is just not performing like he did a few years back.
borel has never ridden for alot of top barns. he will ride for his brother, he will ride a crapload of 10-15 to 1 shots and hit some.

i mean he gets his share but he's to JL in that he's going to be on half the favs on the card or antyhing. never has been like that.

toussaud
11-16-2011, 07:32 AM
I find it hard to believe that Wilkes will give Borel every mount on these 2 year olds like stated in the article considering Wilkes has used Leparoux a lot at the Gulfstream meets. Obviously, he will continue to ride Motor City. Lots more turf racing at GP with IMO the best turf riders in the country down there, and although I would consider him an alright jock on the turf. I wouldn't say that is Borel's cup of tea.
i am not exaggerating when i say borel is probably in the bottom 5% of turf jocks in America. he's horrible.

FenceBored
11-16-2011, 08:15 AM
i am not exaggerating when i say borel is probably in the bottom 5% of turf jocks in America. he's horrible.

Lifetime (through 4/1/2011) Borel was 403/3462 (11.64%). Not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I doubt it's in the bottom 5% of jockey turf win percentages.

David-LV
11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Lifetime (through 4/1/2011) Borel was 403/3462 (11.64%). Not great by any stretch of the imagination, but I doubt it's in the bottom 5% of jockey turf win percentages.

It is pretty hard to defend a classless jockey no matter what his pct. is.
Strictly a bush league rider.:ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

_______
David-LV

Robert Fischer
11-16-2011, 10:19 AM

_______
David-LV

true, but we were talking about borel ^^

FenceBored
11-16-2011, 11:16 AM

_______
David-LV

Nobody's defending Castellano here, ...

yet.

sandpit
12-04-2011, 10:46 PM

I take back what I said about Geroux, he's going to ride at Oaklawn this winter/spring after he wins the riding title at Hawthorne.

Striker
12-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Riding at Fairgrounds this weekend, Saturday at least for his brother. I thought he was supposed to start at GP this week.