PDA

View Full Version : what percentage of thorougbreds that start 1 race, never win a race?

davew
11-12-2011, 04:16 PM
What percent of racehorses that start at least 1 race, never win a race?

Would it be near 50% or much higher or much lower?

Trained and entered, but then injured, not enough talent, other use, etc...

cj
11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I found this on a website for a partnership:

"One third of all thoroughbred foals born, never race and more than half of the horses that do race, never win."

They don't quote a source for the info though.

FantasticDan
11-12-2011, 06:26 PM
But it sure sounds right. I know that if I was to breed a T-bred, and he/she actually made it to the races and won so much as a bottom claimer, I'd consider myself very lucky. :jump: :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
11-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I found this on a website for a partnership:

"One third of all thoroughbred foals born, never race and more than half of the horses that do race, never win."

They don't quote a source for the info though.

That means that 66% of all thoroughbreds born will try a race.
I'd be surprised if the figure is that high.
I once read that 40,000 thoroughbreds are born every year.
That would be over 26,000 newbies try. Sounds high to me.
I don't have the source either.

Greyfox
11-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Correction:

It now appears that the 40,000 number I reported above is high.

On google I found:

Thoroughbred foal births are well down in the United States, with The Jockey Club expecting the trend to continue next year.

The Jockey Club reported that 2904 stallions covered 44,184 mares in North America during 2010, according to statistics compiled through to September 7, 2011.

These matings resulted in 23,558 live foals of 2011 being reported to The Jockey Club on reports received as of September 7, 2011.

The Jockey Club estimates that the number of live foals reported, at this point in time, is about 85 per cent complete. The reporting of live foals of 2011 is down 13.5 per cent from last year at this time, when The Jockey Club had received reports for 27,233 live foals of 2010.

Steve R
11-12-2011, 10:29 PM
According to The Thoroughbred Times, historically, almost 70% of all foals make at least one start and just over 45% of all foals win a race. Between 35% and 40% of all foals are repeat winners.

FenceBored
11-13-2011, 07:07 AM
According to The Thoroughbred Times, historically, almost 70% of all foals make at least one start and just over 45% of all foals win a race. Between 35% and 40% of all foals are repeat winners.

And that would mean, to bring it back to the phrasing of the original question, that about 35% of horses who start at least one race never win a race.

davew
11-13-2011, 09:31 AM

The second sentence says that if they win once, they will win again between 77 and 88% of the time.

These numbers seem high to me, but with the number of tracks and fair meets, many horses must find their own 'level' of competitiveness.

If we change the angle slightly and go from foalings to confirm numbers, that would mean there are over 15,000 maiden races in a year (although some horses break maiden in open events) - which also seems high.