PDA

View Full Version : The Longhorn Network (free on line access thru Sunday)

ElKabong
11-12-2011, 10:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/longhornnetwork/

Give it a look, pretty impressive. Pretty soon, within 5 yrs, the top 8 to 10 athletic programs will have this type of platform. At least 70 programs will some sort of platform.

Yesterday at work I got precious little done....Taped practices, x's and o sessions, interviews with coaches and players (all sports), University functions, academic programming, etc

But this is football season, it's football intensive. Right now it's pregame cov'g for the Mizzou game.

TEXAS fan or not, this is great programming.

cj
11-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I can't imagine non Texas fans wanting to watch. The same will hold true for any other team network.

Marshall Bennett
11-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm an old Longhorn fan from way way back and I won't watch. Too many good games on elsewhere. Never been a fan of Mack Brown. Seldom has Horns ready for a game. Texas has had way too many good teams during his tenure to have only 1 national championship, and that one was by the hair of his chin. He needs to go. He's not even an average college coach imo. Far too much talent at this school has been wasted because of his lousy coaching.
Not until that talent reaches the pro level is it truly appreciated.

Canarsie
11-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I can't imagine non Texas fans wanting to watch. The same will hold true for any other team network.

Your pretty much spot on. I have the Big ten network and it hardly gets a sniff from me maybe once on a Saturday to see who's playing.

It's on the same tier as TVG and since I've cut down my viewing there sharply I used to use the "up" button to see if anything piqued my interest. To tell you the truth I don't even know why they carry it here. College football takes a back seat there's really not much interest in this neck of the woods. When Rutgers first became decent again under Schiano they probably sold out but it's not remotely close now.

ElKabong
11-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Ridiculous. If 0u had something like this, I'd watch it. And I can't stand the sooners as you know

If you love college athletics, or if you love sports in general, this programming is more than just a passing interest. You learn a lot.

Watching live practices is cool, at least for old folks like me to see how far the game changed - beyond what you see on Saturdays. To see WHY and HOW our team has evolved into a team that ran for 400 + yards 2 weeks in a row, and to see Searles work with this O Line that starts 4 frosh / soph's, and rotates even more during the game is interestingto say the least.

Now if I were a casual football fan that thought I knew it all, or had no interest in the x's and o's of the game, or was happy being ignorant of the workings of a program, then yes. I'd say I'd have no interest in something like the LHN.

But that isn't me. I dig this stuff. I love football & baseball, can't get enough. I'd watch it if it were 0u or Michigan, but I'm happy it's UT for certian

PhantomOnTour
11-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm an old Longhorn fan from way way back and I won't watch. Too many good games on elsewhere. Never been a fan of Mack Brown. Seldom has Horns ready for a game. Texas has had way too many good teams during his tenure to have only 1 national championship, and that one was by the hair of his chin. He needs to go. He's not even an average college coach imo. Far too much talent at this school has been wasted because of his lousy coaching.
AMEN!!
But it's all about character and kicking bad boys off the team...not winning.
I doubt UT will continue to accept the mediocrity that their football team has delivered the last few years.

ElKabong
11-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Your pretty much spot on. I have the Big ten network and it hardly gets a sniff from me maybe once on a Saturday to see who's playing.

It's on the same tier as TVG and since I've cut down my viewing there sharply I used to use the "up" button to see if anything piqued my interest. To tell you the truth I don't even know why they carry it here. College football takes a back seat there's really not much interest in this neck of the woods. When Rutgers first became decent again under Schiano they probably sold out but it's not remotely close now.

I watch the b10 network quite often.

There's a pattern here. You both either live, or grew up on the east coast. Football, and to a lesser degree, college baseball isn't embedded in the lifestyle there as it is here. Basketball there is bigger. I could care less about college basketball if it isn't UT playing....it's just not a big deal here

To each their own. I dig the inner workings of college football, the techniques, recruiting, the gameplanning...all of it. You guys want to sit and watch the game, then be done with it. Nothing wrong with that.....but that's not how people from this part of the counrty view things.

ElKabong
11-12-2011, 11:47 AM
AMEN!!
But it's all about character and kicking bad boys off the team...not winning.
I doubt UT will continue to accept the mediocrity that their football team has delivered the last few years.

2 years ago we were in the national championship game...yes mediocre indeed, LOL

ElKabong
11-12-2011, 12:00 PM

During Mack's tenure at UT, only one head coach has won more BCS NC's than Mack. Winning the MNC is not an easy thing apparently.....

In the past decade, Mack won more games than any other coach, or close to it.

4 BCS bowl games the past 7 years. Record is 3-1 btw. Not sure who else has won that many since 2004. Not 0u, not LSU. I do know that.

Malcolm is "available" today, Bergeron is doubtful....Fozzy will need to carry the load today. Hope we can get DJ involved more than usual....also, Mack expects the Mizzou D to load the box with 8-9 guys, we're going to throw for a change (after back to back 400 + yard rushing games). It'll be interestingto see how this goes.

Josey (from Angleton) is a threat we haven't seen. The kid is a good back, he'll be Mizzou's biggest threat along with Franklin (another Texan)

Hook em

ElKabong
11-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Whitaker blows out his knee on the first drive....all 3 Tailbacks are now hurt, the scout team RB is playing TB.

sure wish the LHN on line access extended into next week

Marshall Bennett
11-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Anything less than getting to the big game and winning it is almost meaningless. Mack has had the tools and ample time. He hasn't delivered. As for the number of games he's won, look at the schedules he's enjoyed. More than half the games Texas plays each year are pushovers. Garbage in comparison to other programs of this stature. Mack Brown is a lazy coach. Just as today vs. Missouri, he's never ready, therefore his team isn't. More times than not in the past when Texas wins against formal opponents, it's a 2nd half effort. I've been following Texas football since 1962, Ive learned enough to know which coaches were good and which weren't. Darrell Royal and Fred Akers made Mack Brown look like Cub scout leader.

Canarsie
11-12-2011, 02:41 PM

There's a pattern here. You both either live, or grew up on the east coast. Football, and to a lesser degree, college baseball isn't embedded in the lifestyle there as it is here. Basketball there is bigger. I could care less about college basketball if it isn't UT playing....it's just not a big deal here

To each their own. I dig the inner workings of college football, the techniques, recruiting, the gameplanning...all of it. You guys want to sit and watch the game, then be done with it. Nothing wrong with that.....but that's not how people from this part of the counrty view things.

Not arguing a bit what you are saying. College football takes a huge back seat here even in the ratings. But then again NASCAR is popular again not too much here.

College basketball is really only in play when St. Johns is decent. Otherwise only when the tourney starts and that's because of gambling.

Hockey is huge here not so much by you by a longshot. NBA the Knicks are the most profitable franchise which is amazing because they have stunk.

I can't stand them but the biggest money grossing sports Network is YES. I wouldn't bet my life on it but they are more profitable than the NFL Network. The Rangers can thank the Yankees they followed their business model and make out well.

All I am saying is they are giving me something I wouldn't never subscribe to if given he choice. Some people would say the same about the Golf Channel.

cj
11-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I stand corrected. Watching them practice has to better than watching them play today.

ElKabong
11-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Anything less than getting to the big game and winning it is almost meaningless. Mack has had the tools and ample time. He hasn't delivered. You don't like winning games? Even vs BCS bowl quality opponents? OK

As for the number of games he's won, look at the schedules he's enjoyed. More than half the games Texas plays each year are pushovers. Garbage in comparison to other programs of this stature. AGAIN, BCS bowl record of 3-1.

Mack Brown is a lazy coach. Just as today vs. Missouri, he's never ready, therefore his team isn't. Ready, as in having your top WR not suited b/c of injury, and your top 3 RB's out injured? That does tend to make a diffenece....

More times than not in the past when Texas wins against formal opponents, it's a 2nd half effort. I've been following Texas football since 1962, Ive learned enough to know which coaches were good and which weren't. Darrell Royal and Fred Akers made Mack Brown look like Cub scout leader.

I've been following since that very same year. So, did you approve of a BOR (Frank Erwin) telling the Board that DKR should be fired after 1966? And 1967? DKR was almost tossed before the 68 season. Nonsensical thinking. When you get a good coach, you keep him. As for Fred Akers, I liked his coaching style too, but he could no longer recruit. He had to go.....Mack has done well, he'll continue to do so......

I can read win - loss records and see a glass trophy in Mack's office. I know who can coach, who can't. I like the progress made & see a great future for the Horns

OTM Al
11-12-2011, 06:09 PM

I do too because I went to a Big 10 school (Purdue) that doesn't get much national coverage so it's often the only way to see the football team. Basketball gets a little more play, but still it's cool to be able to see the teams I grew up with more often than I would otherwise. Probably a lot of people out there like me as Big 10 schools are generally on the large size. Watched it today and enjoyed seeing them beat Ohio State. Got to get them when we can!

Dahoss2002
11-12-2011, 11:54 PM
[ I like the progress made & see a great future for the Horns
I see
http://www.flysouth.org/huntsville-wallsunit-mmm-05-29-2003.jpg

ElKabong
11-13-2011, 12:38 PM
I do too because I went to a Big 10 school (Purdue) that doesn't get much national coverage so it's often the only way to see the football team. Basketball gets a little more play, but still it's cool to be able to see the teams I grew up with more often than I would otherwise. Probably a lot of people out there like me as Big 10 schools are generally on the large size. Watched it today and enjoyed seeing them beat Ohio State. Got to get them when we can!

B10 network shows "classics" during the offseason, those games always draw me in.

One of the shows I enjoy most are the "flashback" features. "1966 in the big ten" etc etc...Get to see highlights of Greise, Keyes for Purdue & then 4 minutes later you'd see highlights of Bubba Smith, George Webster for Mich St, on and on....a few segments later you see Mike Phipps, Jim Otis, Mike Adamle, Jim Mandich etc from another year. Not only takes you back to your younger days, but you see how far the game has come. That's probably the most enjoyable part

I wish the big 12 had made the decision to move forward with its own network, but it was voted down by its membership. Very stupid decision. Petty jealousy over "who came up with this idea?" and nonsense like that. The b12 deserves the fate it's going to get. The same members that are leaving / have left, are mostly the ones that always said "no" to progressive ideas....and then they leave for other conferences...go figure?

maddog42
11-13-2011, 02:39 PM

I hate to agree with Elk, but when he's right he's right. Mack is easily one of the best 5 coaches in ALL of college football. If they fire Mack, the odds are about 1 in 10 they will win as many games in the next 10 years. Mack obviously only has about 3-4 years left. I will give you odds that the next coach doesn't do as well, and probably won't last 13 seasons like Mack. I am an OU fan and I hate admitting things like this, but it is the truth. Who do you think brought all that talent to Texa$? Are they underachievers ? Probably.
Mack is the best recruiter this side of Barry Switzer and that makes him one of the best ever.

ElKabong
11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
I hate to agree with Elk, but when he's right he's right. Mack is easily one of the best 5 coaches in ALL of college football. If they fire Mack, the odds are about 1 in 10 they will win as many games in the next 10 years. Mack obviously only has about 3-4 years left. I will give you odds that the next coach doesn't do as well, and probably won't last 13 seasons like Mack. I am an OU fan and I hate admitting things like this, but it is the truth. Who do you think brought all that talent to Texa$? Are they underachievers ? Probably.
Mack is the best recruiter this side of Barry Switzer and that makes him one of the best ever.

Spoken like a man that's endured the John Blake era (coming from a guy that endured the McWilliams era).

FWIW, Mack doesn't personally recruit, and hasn't done so in 10 yrs or so. I'm not aware of him hitting the road, but he does hire coaches that do recruit like hell....same for Switzer, he had a staff full of used car salesmen con-men, er, recruiters ;)

To further your point abt Mack retiring soon, his latest hires were pure "coaching types". No more Bobby Kennedy's and Tim Breswter's. Diaz, Harsin, Davis, Searles, these are dyed in the wool football men. A bit different than the guys that left. Mack wants to make one more run at an MNC, and hired a staff that gives him a chance.

Not to get off topic, but do you think Mike Stoops returns? Long story here, but after he left that 0u D lost a killer instict...jmho.

maddog42
11-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Spoken like a man that's endured the John Blake era (coming from a guy that endured the McWilliams era).

FWIW, Mack doesn't personally recruit, and hasn't done so in 10 yrs or so. I'm not aware of him hitting the road, but he does hire coaches that do recruit like hell....same for Switzer, he had a staff full of used car salesmen con-men, er, recruiters ;)

To further your point abt Mack retiring soon, his latest hires were pure "coaching types". No more Bobby Kennedy's and Tim Breswter's. Diaz, Harsin, Davis, Searles, these are dyed in the wool football men. A bit different than the guys that left. Mack wants to make one more run at an MNC, and hired a staff that gives him a chance.

Not to get off topic, but do you think Mike Stoops returns? Long story here, but after he left that 0u D lost a killer instict...jmho.

Switzer did quite a bit of recruiting early on, but got away from it. He had a lot of good recruiters over the years. One by the name of Mack Brown. I am pressed for time now, but later tell you a story about Barry. Barry was the closer, so is Mack.

maddog42
11-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Switzer did quite a bit of recruiting early on, but got away from it. He had a lot of good recruiters over the years. One by the name of Mack Brown. I am pressed for time now, but later tell you a story about Barry. Barry was the closer, so is Mack.

On Friday night after Breeders cup I found myself sitting next to a large black fellow. I had seen him around for years but only saying Hi or casually asking how he was doing. He told me his name was Fontanette. A little later he said he played for OU out of Louisiana. Very nice guy. We talked horses and this and that and OU football. He was recruited as a running back but was moved to tight end. I asked him why he came to OU and he said he couldn't say no to Barry Switzer. He Loved Switzer, some of the other coaches not so much. Although the head coach might be as little as 20 percent of a recruiting job, it is critical.

ElKabong
11-15-2011, 11:22 PM
he was a closer, no doubt about it.

There's a poster on hornfans that goes by the handle of SabreHorn, was a fmr asst coach, then in administration @ UT. Won't tell you his name, but he has a lot of great stories about the 70s and 80s about Switzer, 0U and others.

While he didn't like a lot of things about Switzer, he did say (a) on a one to one basis you could trust his word probably more than anyone he knew in football (b) if it had to do with recruiting, esp in the 70s when he was known to "hide" recruits b/c of the old rules and signing dates, you couldn't trust him farther thna you could spit.....but Sabre does like Barry as a person. "Totally honest outside of recruiting" he said.

He also said of Barry that Osborne didn't do much on a nat'l scale while Barry was coaching (we all know that) and Barry had a lot to do with that as much with off the field political stuff (rules, etc) as it did with recruiting and playing on the field...sure wish I had details.

maddog42
11-15-2011, 11:32 PM
I have heard very little about Mike , but there are a few rumors. None have him coming back to OU. NFL rumors mainly.

cj
11-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I have heard very little about Mike , but there are a few rumors. None have him coming back to OU. NFL rumors mainly.

That could change very quickly if Venables gets a head coaching position.

ElKabong
11-16-2011, 11:53 PM
After Tech ran all over (and I do mean ALL OVER) the 0u defense, I figured Bobby would beg Mike back after AZ let him go.

Tech embarrassed the 0u defense the way 0u's defense embarrassed UT's passing game... Tech had 0u beat so bad in the 4th qtr, FOX showed the 0u fans exodus from the stands w/ 7 minutes left....the same Tech team that lost the next 3 games by an avg score of 53-11.

Mike Stoops never let that happen.

I'm sure Bob w/ try to get Mike back, but the NFL angle makes more sense for Mike, imo....He can be more free to use his experience and coaching / schematic skills at that level. Fewer restrictions, ncaa has some crazy limits on coaches

maddog42
11-17-2011, 09:22 AM
After Tech ran all over (and I do mean ALL OVER) the 0u defense, I figured Bobby would beg Mike back after AZ let him go.

Tech embarrassed the 0u defense the way 0u's defense embarrassed UT's passing game... Tech had 0u beat so bad in the 4th qtr, FOX showed the 0u fans exodus from the stands w/ 7 minutes left....the same Tech team that lost the next 3 games by an avg score of 53-11.

Mike Stoops never let that happen.

I'm sure Bob w/ try to get Mike back, but the NFL angle makes more sense for Mike, imo....He can be more free to use his experience and coaching / schematic skills at that level. Fewer restrictions, ncaa has some crazy limits on coaches

What happened to OU happened to Texas this past weekend. Without a couple of their best players the Texas offense looked terrible. Without 4 of OU's best players they suffered mightily. 3 of our best players were missing on defense, from a unit that hadn't played very well at times. Since you brought this thread a little off topic...
The line on the K-state- Texas game is way off. Instead of Texas being favored by 9, they should be favored by 1 or 3 at the most. With Fozzy and
Brown out they were much worse on offense. Will Brown be back for this game?