PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NFL defensive player of the year???

gheuks
11-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Looks like Aaron Rogers in a runaway for MVP, but how about defensive player of the year??? Call me a homer, but I think Terell Suggs has to be in the conversation.

Valuist
11-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Gotta be Darrell Revis. He's had a couple huge game changing INTs and how about this one: going into last week, opposing QBs had a rating of 11 (ironic, on 11/11/11) when throwing against him.

Have to agree with Rex Ryan. Revis is the best defensive player in the NFL.

Robert Fischer
11-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Suh

elysiantraveller
11-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Revis.

He is getting thrown at this year and making people pay dearly for it.

Valuist
11-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Suh

Suh was better last year.

Striker
11-12-2011, 12:53 AM
DeMarcus Ware

cj's dad
11-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Ngata- destroys plays at the line of scrimmage.

Robert Fischer
11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Ngata- destroys plays at the line of scrimmage.

agree with either Ngata or Suh

for this reason -

Yes, it's a a pass happy league and a Revis or an Asomugha can neutralize 1 receiver - but on any given play there are 3 or 4 other options for the QB to exploit!
I don't buy the put StarCorner 1-on-1 and everyone else plays free either - ?ever hear of pick plays?

Ngata and Suh stop the run, collapse the pocket, and occupy multiple blockers to set Linebackers for free blitzes/tackles...

cj
11-15-2011, 03:06 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Patrick Willis. If you haven't, it means you haven't seen much of the 8-1 49ers this year.

Valuist
11-15-2011, 04:02 PM
agree with either Ngata or Suh

for this reason -

Yes, it's a a pass happy league and a Revis or an Asomugha can neutralize 1 receiver - but on any given play there are 3 or 4 other options for the QB to exploit!
I don't buy the put StarCorner 1-on-1 and everyone else plays free either - ?ever hear of pick plays?

Ngata and Suh stop the run, collapse the pocket, and occupy multiple blockers to set Linebackers for free blitzes/tackles...

Ngata is in the picture. No way Suh is. He hasn't played as well as last year and he hurts his team with his dirty play and penalties. Last year he had 66 tackles and 10 sacks. Thru 9 games he's at 27 tackles and 3 sacks. He has regressed.

OTM Al
11-15-2011, 04:30 PM
What's worse than arguing about an end of a season award for horse racing 2 months before the season is over? Arguing about who wins season awards in football with HALF the season left to go.

All the guys listed are very good but what happens if they pull a hammy next week?

Canarsie
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Revis is a tough choice because any QB with an ounce of brains will only throw at him less than 5 times TOPS during a game.

But I could argue that he's the second best player in the league because of the point above. He is worth every penny he is paid. Last year when the Packers beat the Jets the score was 9-0.

Too early for best defensive player plenty of time left. There was an earlier thread on the Lions looks like video has caught up to them sooner than later.

Ok I expect some heat for this one.

Canarsie
11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
What's worse than arguing about an end of a season award for horse racing 2 months before the season is over? Arguing about who wins season awards in football with HALF the season left to go.

All the guys listed are very good but what happens if they pull a hammy next week?

Wow us Brooklyn boys think alike just a minute apart saying the same thing.

cj
11-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Ngata is in the picture. No way Suh is. He hasn't played as well as last year and he hurts his team with his dirty play and penalties. Last year he had 66 tackles and 10 sacks. Thru 9 games he's at 27 tackles and 3 sacks. He has regressed.

Regressed, or drawn more attention? I agree he isn't even close to in the running.

OTM Al
11-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Wow us Brooklyn boys think alike just a minute apart saying the same thing.

Are you saying we are basically a-holes in general :)

I hope a lineman gets it though. Those guys are always underappreciated on both sides of the ball.

Canarsie
11-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Are you saying we are basically a-holes in general :)

I hope a lineman gets it though. Those guys are always underappreciated on both sides of the ball.

That and being very opinionated and might I throw in never afraid of a good argument.

Valuist
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Revis is a tough choice because any QB with an ounce of brains will only throw at him less than 5 times TOPS during a game.

But I could argue that he's the second best player in the league because of the point above. He is worth every penny he is paid. Last year when the Packers beat the Jets the score was 9-0.

Too early for best defensive player plenty of time left. There was an earlier thread on the Lions looks like video has caught up to them sooner than later.

Ok I expect some heat for this one.

I said Revis is defensive player of the year in post 2 of the thread.

Canarsie
11-15-2011, 06:17 PM
I said Revis is defensive player of the year in post 2 of the thread.

I'm not arguing with you just don't think he'll win it because of the reasons I stated. It's hard to get recognized when you don't have many interceptions, recovered fumbles, or sacks.

But if I was starting a team he would be my second pick after Rodgers he's that much of an impact player. It's almost shocking when a completed pass goes to the guy he's covering.

Cardus
11-15-2011, 08:56 PM

It's the hyper-modern sports talk world: which is the best _______ this week?

There is much less discussion of games' strategies and themes and much more list making.

It's ridiculous.

Happens with this sport, too.

delayjf
11-15-2011, 09:23 PM
DeMarcus Ware

Indeed, already has 13 sacks - if he keeps that up it will be a record season.

cj
11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Still no mention of Willis. I hate the 49ers, but anyone not considering him is nuts. He is the MVP of the 2nd best team in the NFL.

Valuist
11-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Still no mention of Willis. I hate the 49ers, but anyone not considering him is nuts. He is the MVP of the 2nd best team in the NFL.

As good as Willis is, he isn't even leading his team in tackles by a linebacker. Bowman is. Willis certainly is as talented as anyone; tremendous lateral quickness but you really have to put up the numbers to justify the award.

That said, the Niner defense has been tremendous and he is their leader.

Valuist
11-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Another to consider: Jared Allen. Allen has a 1/2 sack lead over Ware, but more tackles than Ware and an INT (Ware has no ints).

Robert Fischer
11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
I love How often Willis is a threat to take the football or cause the runner to COVER UP...

he really has rare speed and control in those aspects...

the greatest LBs don't always lead individidual tackles, so much as they lead the mean and the linebackers... although they should occasionally be stepping in when called for.

Harrison is still a tremendous linebacker as well

i still favor Ngata and Suh , although i know how important stats are in the award.

Canarsie
11-16-2011, 08:15 AM

He was a few things going against him and it has nothing to do with his ability.

He played with a lousy team last year and that can hurt a career financially as well as name recognition. Nnamdi Asomugha while my opinion only got lots of press because of the contract the late (mhrip) Al Davis gave him.

Not enough national games to give him more exposure is also another factor running against him. People would rather see (I think their nuts) a game Tebow is in rather then the 49ers.

When your really good most offenses will try to play on the other side whenever possible.

Some interesting reading Revis isn't included and rightfully so. But Willis is included along with Asomugha. This was done pre season just shows you how quickly ones mind can change.

Troy Polamalu and 5 Favorites for the 2011 NFL Defensive Player of the Year

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/837598-nfl-predictions-5-favorites-to-win-defensive-player-of-the-year

Robert Fischer
11-16-2011, 09:26 AM
go Stillers ,

#1 but teams have realized how to neutralize Troy P more with quick passes... = there's nothing for him to run-down when the ball gets there quick! (remember monkey-in-the-middle?)

#2 ... almost similar to "running at great pass-rushing defensive ends" but in a much different shape

ironically Troy is almost MOST effective now when he moves close as a threat to blitz ^ (see #2)

not sure whether he has lost half a step either, but he needs to be involved in as much open-field ball hawking as possible and approach the line in situations that aren't dead-pass/dead-run predictable.... = at least IMO he seems his old deadly self in more of a "situational" thing lately

Valuist
11-16-2011, 09:36 AM
He was a few things going against him and it has nothing to do with his ability.

He played with a lousy team last year and that can hurt a career financially as well as name recognition. Nnamdi Asomugha while my opinion only got lots of press because of the contract the late (mhrip) Al Davis gave him.

Not enough national games to give him more exposure is also another factor running against him. People would rather see (I think their nuts) a game Tebow is in rather then the 49ers.

When your really good most offenses will try to play on the other side whenever possible.

Some interesting reading Revis isn't included and rightfully so. But Willis is included along with Asomugha. This was done pre season just shows you how quickly ones mind can change.

Troy Polamalu and 5 Favorites for the 2011 NFL Defensive Player of the Year

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/837598-nfl-predictions-5-favorites-to-win-defensive-player-of-the-year

The article was written on September 7. How can anyone comment on MVP on September 7? MVP awards are not about talent. They are about who is having the best season. Polamalu has done nothing this season to be included in any MVP list. Going into last week, the Steelers had forced 3 turnovers all season.

From a non-stat standpoint, I would never give an MVP award to a safety because its the easiest position to play on defense. Linebackers have the toughest job, as they are accountible not only for the run but pass coverage. Defensive ends probably have the second easiest job; just sit back and rush the passer.

Valuist
11-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Looks like Aaron Rogers in a runaway for MVP, but how about defensive player of the year??? Call me a homer, but I think Terell Suggs has to be in the conversation.

Based on performance and stats, Rodgers is the runaway winner.

Based on a definition of "most valuable player to their team", the runaway winner is Peyton Manning.

Canarsie
11-16-2011, 11:30 AM
The article was written on September 7. How can anyone comment on MVP on September 7? MVP awards are not about talent. They are about who is having the best season. Polamalu has done nothing this season to be included in any MVP list. Going into last week, the Steelers had forced 3 turnovers all season.

From a non-stat standpoint, I would never give an MVP award to a safety because its the easiest position to play on defense. Linebackers have the toughest job, as they are accountible not only for the run but pass coverage. Defensive ends probably have the second easiest job; just sit back and rush the passer.

Did I not state when it was written? How many times do players get awards because of name recognition and previous performance. I'm not saying it's right but the world isn't fair.

I hope by now you know I post certain things to make an attempt to enhance the dialog.

Let's look at the award winners since 2000.

2000— Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
2001— Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
2002— Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins
2003— Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
2004— Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens
2005— Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Colts
2006— Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins
2007— Bob Sanders, Indianapolis Colts
2008— James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers
2009— Darrelle Revis, New York Jets
2010— Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers

So if the guys puts in just familiar names and we look back at history one can say he knows his stuff even if some know different.

Valuist
11-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Did I not state when it was written? How many times do players get awards because of name recognition and previous performance. I'm not saying it's right but the world isn't fair.

I hope by now you know I post certain things to make an attempt to enhance the dialog.

Let's look at the award winners since 2000.

2000— Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
2001— Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
2002— Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins
2003— Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
2004— Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens
2005— Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Colts
2006— Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins
2007— Bob Sanders, Indianapolis Colts
2008— James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers
2009— Darrelle Revis, New York Jets
2010— Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers

So if the guys puts in just familiar names and we look back at history one can say he knows his stuff even if some know different.

That has to be the AFC winners. Not one NFC winner? I have to believe Urlacher and Woodson have both won the award.

I think most of those winners are worthy although Polamalu last year was a bit questionable. 14 games, 7 picks, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and 63 tackles. A very good season. MVP worthy? Maybe the reputation did help him last year although on that list I see pretty worthy winners. Polamalu was in the running in some of the other years so maybe they gave him the benefit of the doubt.

But he ain't winning this year. And neither is Osamgah. Or James Harrison.

Canarsie
11-16-2011, 12:39 PM
That has to be the AFC winners. Not one NFC winner? I have to believe Urlacher and Woodson have both won the award.

I think most of those winners are worthy although Polamalu last year was a bit questionable. 14 games, 7 picks, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and 63 tackles. A very good season. MVP worthy? Maybe the reputation did help him last year although on that list I see pretty worthy winners. Polamalu was in the running in some of the other years so maybe they gave him the benefit of the doubt.

But he ain't winning this year. And neither is Osamgah. Or James Harrison.

My bad I didn't even know there were two awards now I find out there are multiple awards given out by different publications. Here's the NFC.

2000 La'Roi Glover New Orleans Saints
2001 Michael Strahan New York Giants
2002 Derrick Brooks Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2003 Michal Strahan New York Giants
2004 Julius Peppers Carolina Panthers
2005 Brian Urlacher Chicago Bears
2006 Brian Urlacher Chicago Bears
2007 Patrick Kerney Seattle Seahawks
2008 DeMarcus Ware Dallas Cowboys
2009 Charles Woodson Green Bay Packers
2010 Clay Matthews Green Bay Packers