PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheets?

Shacopate
12-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Anyone still using them?

I know the data entry era (for handicapping) has passed, but does anyone still use them for record keeping or anything else?

BillW
12-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Shacopate
Anyone still using them?

I know the data entry era (for handicapping) has passed, but does anyone still use them for record keeping or anything else?

I presently use one for wager data entry ... save to a CSV file(Comma Seperated Value file) for import into my database. I am doing this as a interim short cut until I build a better input tool.

Bill

Tom
12-03-2003, 11:18 PM
I do all my ananlytical work in Excel. I export the data from Access into spreadsheets becaseu Excel is better equiped to do some things.
I also do manual entry - the Beyer numbers from Sim Weekly every week. I get some data from HTR exports, some from charts from chartget, put it all into Access, link it up, query what I need and end up with an Excel file.
I also have some utility things I use Ecxcel for- harness data manipulation, caculation of speed figs and pace figs, etc,

Larry Hamilton
12-03-2003, 11:26 PM
bill, I have the code that takes the TSN/BRIS download straight from the zipped format in which it comes to a table in my Access db, if you are interested....larry@hambowl.net

sq764
12-04-2003, 12:26 AM
I used spreadsheets solely for my handicapping.. I use the Trackmaster plus .exe data files....

Larry Hamilton
12-05-2003, 08:39 AM
For those of you who asked, I have to back down, I can't do it, it's just too much work and too many lines of code to try to explain. I apparently bit off more than I can chew--again!

CumberlandBluesHSH
12-05-2003, 02:32 PM
I use Excel for record keeping - it's the easiest place for me to check my records. The text import wizard thingie makes it pretty easy - very limited data entry/editing once you have it set up right. I used to keep my bet logs in Access, but that was a pain in the neck to tweak when I wanted to add to or change what I was keeping track of...and then the computer I was running my Access bet logs on crashed and died and I've kept to Excel ever since.

But I do not use spreadsheets to handicap with at all.

BillW
12-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Larry Hamilton
bill, I have the code that takes the TSN/BRIS download straight from the zipped format in which it comes to a table in my Access db, if you are interested....larry@hambowl.net

Larry,

This is strictly my wagering data. I'm doing the same for the TSN/Bris files, but on Linux into Postgresql. Thanks for the offer though.

Bill

John
12-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Larry,
That is a ton of work.

I agree with Bill ,Thanks for the offer.

John

Tom
12-06-2003, 11:04 AM
I wonder why BRIS doesn't off a program to allow importing of their files into a db?
Infotran is ok, but far, far, too simple a program to bother trying to capture all the data in the file.
DRF Formulator is the easiest thing I have ever seem-all you do is load up a bunch of race cards and then you already have tables ready to go-just rab the milenium database out of the program files and go with it.

Brian Flewwelling
12-07-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Tom
I wonder why BRIS doesn't off a program to allow importing of their files into a db?

They do. They sell the files directly. Add the files to a db and/or view them in their viewer (which is free).

I used the drfSingle files for several years. Viewed their pps, but created my own summary sheet for handicapping notes and analysis.

Brian

Tom
12-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Brian Flewwelling
They do. They sell the files directly. Add the files to a db and/or view them in their viewer (which is free).

I used the drfSingle files for several years. Viewed their pps, but created my own summary sheet for handicapping notes and analysis.

Brian

I download the single data files, but Access will not accept them as imports- *.drf files are not a format I can import. If I rename the file *.txt, it will not import correctly-the fiels get mixed up. Way too many fields to go through Excel. Only thing I have found that I can use is Infotran, but that is way to much work to try to import the huge data files.

mhrussell
12-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I download the single data files, but Access will not accept them as imports- *.drf files are not a format I can import. If I rename the file *.txt, it will not import correctly-the fiels get mixed up. Way too many fields to go through Excel. Only thing I have found that I can use is Infotran, but that is way to much work to try to import the huge data files.

Tom-

Try downloading the "multi-file format" data files from BRIS. I ran into the same problem with the "single-file" format... too many fields for Excel to read in. With the multi-file format, when you un-zip it you will generate a folder with 4 separate files within it. Go to the BRIS library and you can see the data format of those files. You will then need to alter you program to "grab" the data you need.

I have been using these files in my Excel handicapping program. I do all my analysis and record keeping in Excel.

Tom
12-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the tip, but my years of BRIS fiels are all single file format. It is too late to start with something new and too expensive. I will have to live without BRIS (not to hard to do:D )

Larry Hamilton
12-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Guys, here are the steps I use:

1. Download the files that have been massaged by infotran. I cannot begin to tell you which fields to use. I can only remind you that when it comes time to write the query, you have to define the relationships, so leave the proper fields there progbably including: track, data, race number, program number or hor.se name.

In fact, if you cant get past this one, the remainder of how I do makes no sense. When you have goeen past this, let me know and I will continue.

It might be a good idea if PA would give us a forum to work in, "Access Applications Development".