PDA

View Full Version : The slaughterhouse solution

depalma13
12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
I read the sluaghterhouse thread and found it very interesting, but what was very evident is that those that oppose the slaughterhouses lay the blame on the horse owner and believe that if one is willing to take the reponsibility of owning a horse then they must take that responsibility forever. I'm sorry, but it is a business and regardless of the feelings anyone has for animals it must be looked at as a business, regardless of how callous that seems.

I do have a solution, and it is one that can be adopted by those who love the sport. Simply put, those who gamble should part with a portion of their winnings, and then more than enough money would be raised to care for retired horses. If for example 5% of your winnings (that is a high end number) was taken to care for retired thoroughbreds the animals could live their lives cared for until their last days.

The gambler has just as much responsibility for the horse as the owner does. Without the gambler, their is no horse racing. The gambler needs the horse, just as badly as the owner does, yet neither wants to take the reponsibilty for caring for the animal after it's usefulness in the industry.

I challenge you to give a percentage of every ticket you cash. If the gamblers demanded this out of the horse racing industry it can become part of the automatic "take" they normally collect, only with a much better use. A board can make sure the money goes where it is supposed to. Until then, if you adamantly oppose the slaughter houses, do it yourself, don't send $20 to the horse rescue operations, send one to five percent of the tickets you cash for the year, not your profit, 1% -5% of each and every ticket you cash.

Greed is such a relative term. If a man owns a horse and it wins him a million dollar race, then he sends it to the slaughterhouse, many would call him greedy heartless owner. Yet if a million people won five dollars betting on that horse in that same race and where asked to donate a portion of those winnings immediately, how many of those people would let their own greed stand in their way?

Are you willing to make that kind of sacrafice to support those creatures that run for your entertainment, or are you just going to voice your opinion and lay blame without looking in the mirror.

For the record, my wife and I have given over $2000 to various thoroughbred and greyhound rescue organizations in the past four years. All of it coming on from a percentage of our winning tickets.

Observer
12-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Based on some of what was written in the kick-off message in this thread .. I feel like I am the main target for my vocalness on the other slaughterhouse thread .. okay, or maybe I'm just paranoid .. however .. it's not wise to assume people are not looking in the mirror and feeling some responsibility .. wondering how they can help .. I'm sure there are many of us here who have already chipped in quite a bit .. I know I have .. obviously more can be done .. and more needs to be done.

Have I chipped in 5% of my tickets?? .. I don’t know because I don’t keep track like that .. I give what I can, when I can .. Anyone who has been around this site for a while knows that I have placed links to many sites where donations can be made .. and most importantly .. every little bit helps. No one should be made to feel that a small donation is not “good enough” .. and though many are aware these organizations exist .. a helpful reminder sparks interest on where exactly to go to help.

While it would be great if the gamblers took on a portion of the responsibility in this in a financial area .. the bottom line is the owners pretty much have the control of when the horse goes .. but they need to make sure they know where the horse is going .. and that the Jockey Club understands the horse is not to race ever again, and all duplicate papers sent out in the future be marked as such (fillies not to be bred also need to be declared in the same such manner) .. this insures that the horse with well-intentioned owners will not end up back on the track for a downward spiral .. but these are things of which only the owner can take control.

Suff
12-03-2003, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure what the point is or why ot was posted outside the Slaughter house thread. But The jist is that Gamblers should give more. The membership to excellor's program was 45.00 a month and an auto hit to my credit card for $15.00 a month. Thats $200. I think thats plenty from the gamblers.

Our takeout buys them, breaks them, trains them, Feeds them and rewards thier connections from birth through thier racing career.

I'm inclined to think more and more will be going to Slaughter house's by the tempo of the new and re-openings of them.

can't say I come down for or against that strongly enough in either way to match your generous offerings. I've seen Observer post These Links frequently... In the spirit of a Brief Friendship I developed with Observer at Saratoga and the Giving Season of Christmas I Kicked in,

kenwoodallpromos
12-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Let the various states use 2% of Their take for retraining!! The states make a big clear profit!!