PDA

View Full Version : Music Recording Software

bigmack
11-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Recent arrival on the music scene is a marvel called Melodyne. Polyphonic note separation (Direct note access) is remarkable.

I could have the worst singer of all time, tone deaf, the whole schmear, sing Mary Had a Little Lamb. After a few clicks with Melodyne they would sound perfectly in pitch AND I'll have them in 8 part harmony!

Listen as they talk of tuning a guitar AFTER recording.

jFCjv4_jqAY

The cat who invented it, Peter Neubacker, is quite interesting and shares ideas on music not unlike those of Mack the Hoople.

u573PyXo-pY

TJDave
11-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I could have the worst singer of all time, tone deaf, the whole schmear, sing Mary Had a Little Lamb. After a few clicks with Melodyne they would sound perfectly in pitch AND I'll have them in 8 part harmony!

To destroy the musical process and put competent musicians out of work?

It is neat, though.

JustRalph
11-08-2011, 09:23 PM
To destroy the musical process and put competent musicians out of work?

It is neat, though.

Funny you say that Dave. After watching the first video I was thinking that eventually you could just download note samples, import them and re-arrange at will. You would never have to even play the guitar again? Just compose all the music via this software.

Or, play an open tuned guitar (E Tuning or whatever) for ten minutes straight and record it. Save it as a starting point and compose from that piece for the rest of your life .............

very interesting stuff.............Thanks Mack

on edit: re-thinking it........ hell, you wouldn't have to play for 10 minutes. 1 very clean strum would do it ?

bigmack
11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Or, play an open tuned guitar (E Tuning or whatever) for ten minutes straight and record it. Save it as a starting point and compose from that piece for the rest of your life
That's what I've been doing. Finger picking in open D, then go in and arrange where I'd like the notes to sound. Within a short period of time I've manipple-ated myself into Segovia. Presto.

Two clicks to tune. Select all, press tune.

Vocals are a trip. You can create complex harmonies that might be cumbersome to create live. While not a good example as it uses a vocorder and has a much more 'artificial/fake' sound, I.Heap displays a similar technique of constructing harmonies, albeit, via the use of keys.

UYIAfiVGluk&ob

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2011, 01:09 AM
Funny you should post that song...one of my all-time favorite SNL Digital Shorts:

MJ3NnfGlClQ

bigmack
03-13-2012, 01:30 AM
My brother plays a mean upright bass. His paforming days are numbered.

This is equally as impressive with electric & electronic as upright.

The 'Jaco' sound is stunning.

Trilian.

byFwaysFxZU

JustRalph
03-13-2012, 04:13 AM
Great vid Mack :ThmbUp:

TJDave
03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
I saw a demonstration of this software this at the 2011 NAMM show. Spot on bass reproduction. I would really like to have this but as a hardware rack module since performing live with a VST can be dicey. If I had the savvy I would build it.

bigmack
03-13-2012, 04:05 PM
I saw a demonstration of this software this at the 2011 NAMM show. Spot on bass reproduction. I would really like to have this but as a hardware rack module since performing live with a VST can be dicey. If I had the savvy I would build it.
Arguably, a virtual can be as reliable as a hardware rack.

I just bought the infamous LA Scoring Strings. Lush. :ThmbUp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI_a7cnmoRM&feature=player_embedded

bigmack
03-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Lyle Mays from Pat Metheny's band on Trilian.

Dig the fretless vibe.

Ozjl2pE0sL0

Rookies
03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm a big fan of Metheny.

The last time I saw him in TO, he was literally a One Man Band with this extraordinary apparatus...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/arts/music/31metheny.html?pagewanted=all

:ThmbUp: