PDA

View Full Version : Tampa downs lowers takeout again to attract more horseplayers.

jelly
11-08-2011, 01:46 PM
On the wagering side, bettors are sure to embrace the new 50-cent Pick-5 wager, which features an attractive 15-percent takeout rate. The50-cent Pick-5, which requires bettors to select five consecutive race winners, replaces the Pick-6 and will be offered on the final five races of each card.

Takeout on win, place and show wagers have been lowered to 17 percent. Tampa Bay Downs’ takeout structure is among the most bettor-friendly in the country, and when combined with full fields of runners, makes the track’s simulcast signal hugely popular across the United States throughout the winter and early spring months.

http://www.tampabaydowns.com/Racing/NewsandMedia/PressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseId=588

Robert Goren
11-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I like Tampa and play it some. But like all race tracks, the takeout is still about 5% to high for me to bet large amounts of money.

Charli125
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I like Tampa and play it some. But like all race tracks, the takeout is still about 5% to high for me to bet large amounts of money.

That's great news. I definitely need to make a trip out to visit. Since I mostly play to win and horizontals, I know my handle will increase this meet.

Robert Fischer
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM
good to see WPS , and not just low% multi-race wagers reduced.

HOWEVER 17% is still higher than major tracks! :bang:

Charli125
11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
good to see WPS , and not just low% multi-race wagers reduced.

HOWEVER 17% is still higher than major tracks! :bang:

That's true. It ranks them tied for 17th overall in North America.

It's also important to remember that the only track with lower WPS takeout than Tampa, that has equal or larger field size, is Keeneland.

I'm glad to see Tampa continue to make good decisions, and it's great to see the positive impact on handle their decisions have had over time.

Not perfect, but getting much closer.

OTM Al
11-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Tampa has taken a nice measured approach to their business. One does wonder though what will be the effect of a longer head to head with Gulfstream beginning this year.

Tom
11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
It means I will totally ignore that many more races at Gulfstream. :rolleyes:

Did they ever fix their timing system or do they still guess at the times?

JustRalph
11-08-2011, 05:49 PM

They hired an official timekeeper who will use a stopwatch

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/tve11886-19591120-351.gif

speed
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM

I forget but they might be using Trakus this meet. If ever a venue needed it.

Zydeco
11-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Classic episode.......but not as good as the one with the camera that photographs the future.....and they immediately head to Santa Anita!! I love that.

statepierback
11-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Good move by Tampa Bay. I wish some track would lower the pick 3, tri's and supers. Those are my preferred types of wagers. I credit California on increasing their purses recently. But I'm not interested in paying that increased tax to support them and will be looking for other tracks to sent my wagering $ too.

PhantomOnTour
11-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Is that a young Burgess Meredith?

andymays
11-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Is that a young Burgess Meredith?
That's him.

Tom
11-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Classic episode.......but not as good as the one with the camera that photographs the future.....and they immediately head to Santa Anita!! I love that.

Gulfstream bought that camera and fired their placing judges.

therussmeister
11-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Tampa Bay Downs’ takeout structure is among the most bettor-friendly in the country.

Their trifecta and super takeout ranks them 55th and 54th out of 67 tracks according to HANA. :ThmbDown:

BIG49010
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Seems like the purses should be higher than they are?

Everybody talks about what a great meet it is, then why are the purses at GP so much higher?

Owner skimming or what?

Robert Goren
11-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Seems like the purses should be higher than they are?

Everybody talks about what a great meet it is, then why are the purses at GP so much higher?

Owner skimming or what?Gulfstream has been a big league track for many years. Tampa is not now nor has it ever been big league. There is really no comparision in their handles. That being said I prefer Tampa. It reminds me a lot of Aksarben of the 1960s.
Gulfstream is full blown Racino. Tampa only has a poker room. That is but one of many strange things that have happen in the wonderful world of Florida race track politics over the years.

Tom
11-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Big league doesn't mean classy or good good racing.
Look at CD - big time track, but strictly minor league - not the horses - the people who run it. Ask anyone who had Gio Ponti in the tri Saturday......that was Penn National level.

NTamm1215
11-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Gulfstream has been a big league track for many years. Tampa is not now nor has it ever been big league. There is really no comparision in their handles. That being said I prefer Tampa. It reminds me a lot of Aksarben of the 1960s.
Gulfstream is full blown Racino. Tampa only has a poker room. That is but one of many strange things that have happen in the wonderful world of Florida race track politics over the years.

Here's a question for you, where does Tampa rank in terms of handle vs. Fair Grounds and Oaklawn in the winter?

Spiderman
11-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Here's a question for you, where does Tampa rank in terms of handle vs. Fair Grounds and Oaklawn in the winter?
Compare at http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanatrackratingsbytrackname2010.html

Missed the question that is about handle. Anyway, the above gives respective takeouts.

cj
11-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Behind, but not my much, and gaining every year.

cj
11-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Behind, but not my much, and gaining every year.

I stand corrected, looks like they are in the lead now.

Tom
11-09-2011, 10:05 AM
All that matters about a track is how much more do have after betting than before.

That little "+" or "-" at the end of the season is the only stat that matters.
Take out means nothing, handle means nothing...only your own performance.

What is better, losing $1,000 at a low take out, high handle track or making $1,000 at a high take out, low handle track?

Robert Fischer
11-09-2011, 05:41 PM
all things equal I want the lower takeout

and if the racing is good as well (competitive fields of live horses, consistent track, minimum of games going on) I want to focus on that lower takeout track as a key track.

agree with Tom that this is bottom line driven

phattty
11-09-2011, 06:01 PM
tampa has installed Trackus

even a fresh coat of paint this year

Zydeco
11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
tampa has installed Trackus

even a fresh coat of paint this year
Seems like they are trying to make the race day experience better.

precocity
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM

:D

Tampa Russ
11-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Seems like they are trying to make the race day experience better.

and although this is not new, free wi-fi, laptops always welcome

NTamm1215
11-09-2011, 09:01 PM
I stand corrected, looks like they are in the lead now.

Right, it was sort of a rhetorical question in that respect. Most people would regard Oaklawn and Fair Grounds as "big league" during the winter time and in truth, Tampa handle smashes OP handle.

Horseplayers are never going to be happy but in an era where takeout is going up there's something to be said about Tampa lowering it every year.

Tom
11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
It is almost like they understand who their CUSTOMERS are!!

Robert Goren
11-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Right, it was sort of a rhetorical question in that respect. Most people would regard Oaklawn and Fair Grounds as "big league" during the winter time and in truth, Tampa handle smashes OP handle.

Horseplayers are never going to be happy but in an era where takeout is going up there's something to be said about TamNpa lowering it every year.I don't think that anybody puts the Fairgrounds and Oaklawn in the same league as Gulfstream. There are three "big league" tracks that run during the winter. The others is Santa Anita and and maybe Aqueduct. Tampa, the Fairgrounds and Oaklawn are a cut below. A horse shipping from one the "big league" tracks after running 6th in a Mdn race will be bet off the board in Mdn race at one of the other tracks. Thats how you tell which tracks are which level, how much action the horses get when they are shipped.

CincyHorseplayer
11-10-2011, 11:54 AM
After becoming an online bettor in 08 and switching to Tampa that winter,I will never bet much else northward.It took a while for me to get a handle on the track and win,but it really is a great meet and I'm glad I've come into it at a time where it is taking off.I do rotate my secondary tracks to whomever that weekend has a better card,but TB is the winter staple.

RXB
11-10-2011, 12:31 PM
One does wonder though what will be the effect of a longer head to head with Gulfstream beginning this year.

I expect essentially no effect. The type of horses that Tampa gets are more like Crc than GP, so I don't think that running at GP instead of Crc in December will have any negative impact.

ronsmac
11-14-2011, 11:20 PM
On track handle is pretty small , thus the small purses. 90% of handle is from off track which they get a smaller percentage for purses.

OTM Al
11-15-2011, 10:17 AM
I expect essentially no effect. The type of horses that Tampa gets are more like Crc than GP, so I don't think that running at GP instead of Crc in December will have any negative impact.

Not talking about horses, talking about betting patterns. I would rather bet Tampa than Calder, but Gulfstream rather than Tampa. If enough people feel that way, then any benefit Tampa was getting from its December dates will be damaged.

BIG49010
11-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Not talking about horses, talking about betting patterns. I would rather bet Tampa than Calder, but Gulfstream rather than Tampa. If enough people feel that way, then any benefit Tampa was getting from its December dates will be damaged.

I would 2nd this, I also think the Inner meet at AQU and the Fairgrounds will suffer also. Just look at the PMM workout tabs, and you see how many horses are already in South Florida

therussmeister
11-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I would rather bet Tampa than Gulfstream, if enough bettors feel that way, it will be a wash.

NTamm1215
11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't think that anybody puts the Fairgrounds and Oaklawn in the same league as Gulfstream. There are three "big league" tracks that run during the winter. The others is Santa Anita and and maybe Aqueduct. Tampa, the Fairgrounds and Oaklawn are a cut below. A horse shipping from one the "big league" tracks after running 6th in a Mdn race will be bet off the board in Mdn race at one of the other tracks. Thats how you tell which tracks are which level, how much action the horses get when they are shipped.

So I'm not understanding your point. People are supposed to be more willing to bet GP because you consider it "major league?" The bottom line is that Tampa out-handles OP and FG on a day to day basis and pays out roughly 40-50% of the purses those tracks do.

You also don't bet much because Tampa shippers do VERY well at other locales after the meet has ended.

jelly
11-15-2011, 08:51 PM
My gambling dollars have been going to Tampa the last couple of years.

Support Tracks That Support Players

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/