Shelby
11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/uncle-mo-retired-racing

PhantomOnTour
11-07-2011, 11:48 AM
No mo' Mo...they waited 3 days too long

Zippy Chippy
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Probably a good move. I am very sad about how promising he was as a 2 year old and how his 3yo season ended up. Hopefully he will be a very good sire. I was rooting for him saturday almost as much as I could root for a horse to win.

cj
11-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Shocking news.

toussaud
11-07-2011, 12:02 PM
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

lamboguy
11-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Shocking news.nothing shocking here, he was retired for elevated enzymes. i would tell you exactly which enzymes but as you know i can't spell.

Tom
11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!

DJofSD
11-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Can they stable LaT and Mo next to each other? They deserve each other.

nijinski
11-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Wishing him the best of health and success and I hope I can get to visit him
one day.

Valuist
11-07-2011, 01:25 PM
How about if Repole retired from the game?

Beachbabe
11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
"Pletcher felt that the elevated GGT level could have played a factor in Uncle Mo finishing 10th, 6 3/4 lengths behind Drosselmeyer, in Saturday night’s Classic. Still, Pletcher also believes that Uncle Mo didn’t handle the Churchill main track well."

How come we never hear of excuses when a 10k claimer finishes up the track ?

jognlope
11-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Mo will miss you, look at that face, just look at it.

Robert Fischer
11-07-2011, 01:42 PM
nothing shocking here, he was retired for elevated enzymes. i would tell you exactly which enzymes but as you know i can't spell.

No worries, "gamma-glutamyltransferase" is just French for "having a stud deal finalized, and your risk/reward maxed out as a race horse and stallion prospect".

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
How about if Repole retired from the game?Yeah, we need less wealthy and less visible owners in this game...

You people are whack sometimes, you know that?

DJofSD
11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Some people have character while others just are characters. (Kudos to "Pulp Fiction".)

Linny
11-07-2011, 02:05 PM
"Pletcher felt that the elevated GGT level could have played a factor in Uncle Mo finishing 10th, 6 3/4 lengths behind Drosselmeyer, in Saturday night’s Classic. Still, Pletcher also believes that Uncle Mo didn’t handle the Churchill main track well."

Dime claimers don't get liver enzyme tests and don't have potential stud deals. Odd thing is that this horse was supposed to have been so sick early this year and he's so valuable, yet they were not monitoring his enzymes right up to race day? Did they not check them after his poor work?

I think the final furlong played more of a role than the enzymes. He took one look at the 1/8 pole and fell in love with it. He went no further.

Last year TAP sent out a sick LAT and this year he doesn't realize that Mo's GGT could spike?

Valuist
11-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah, we need less wealthy and less visible owners in this game...

LOL. No, HE is the one that is whacked. His giant ego made him run the horse in the wrong race. And just about everyone knew it, too.

Beachbabe
11-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Dime claimers don't get liver enzyme tests and don't have potential stud deals. Odd thing is that this horse was supposed to have been so sick early this year and he's so valuable, yet they were not monitoring his enzymes right up to race day? Did they not check them after his poor work?

I think the final furlong played more of a role than the enzymes. He took one look at the 1/8 pole and fell in love with it. He went no further.

Last year TAP sent out a sick LAT and this year he doesn't realize that Mo's GGT could spike?

Actually, I was leaning more to the "didn't handle the Churchill surface" than the enzymes. And what I was referring to, mostly, was that people are more apt to pronounce "bag job"; "betting coup"; etc when a claimer runs a bad race.
It's all that "the track was too cuppy" ; "the track was too hard" ; "too soft" ; "my horse stepped on a safety pin"; "he doesn't like being inside" ; "he doesn't like being outside".
The premier horses get the excuses. The lesser lights get called "pigs".

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM
LOL. No, HE is the one that is whacked. His giant ego made him run the horse in the wrong race. And just about everyone knew it, too.Whatever...hundreds of connections every single day run their horse in the wrong race...as evidenced by the results charts...

Armchair connections rule! :lol:

Valuist
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Whatever...hundreds of connections every single day run their horse in the wrong race...as evidenced by the results charts...

But those connections don't have the ego Repole has. Its good to see a guy like that shut up, and if Uncle Mo's performance in the Classic won't do that, nothing will.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 02:34 PM
But those connections don't have the ego Repole has. Its good to see a guy like that shut up, and if Uncle Mo's performance in the Classic won't do that, nothing will.Yes, nothing will further this game more than participants who are wall flowers....and that includes owners, trainers AND their horses...

Let's encourage everyone to be boring and ultra-conservative...how fun... :sleeping:

Robert Goren
11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Some people have character while others just are characters. (Kudos to "Pulp Fiction".)
Everybody involved in racing is a character.

Shelby
11-07-2011, 02:47 PM

I think Mr. Repole is an asset to racing. I really enjoy his enthusiasm. I'm 37 and I can't think of anyone else around his/my age that is as in love with the game as he is and is as out-spoken about it. Uncle Mo wasn't my favorite horse, but I'm sorry to see him go.

camourous
11-07-2011, 02:59 PM

We couldn't get that lucky

ManU918
11-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Whatever...hundreds of connections every single day run their horse in the wrong race...as evidenced by the results charts...

Repole is good for the game because he gives people something to talk about. Hundreds of connections run their horses each day to make money. Repole is not in need of money. Repole hung this horse out to dry because he wanted the spotlight. Mo should of been entered in the Mile, won and went out on top and left everyone wondering what could of been. You don't see sprinters like Mo come around that much and because like you said "he was the worst managed horse possibly in history", ends his career with a 10th place finish against a watered down Classic. This has nothing to do with being conservative, this is knowing your horse and putting him in the best position to win. Repole did not do that.

mostpost
11-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Yes, nothing will further this game more than participants who are wall flowers....and that includes owners, trainers AND their horses...

Let's encourage everyone to be boring and ultra-conservative...how fun... :sleeping:

Exactly what I have been saying in Off-topic. Conservatives: BORRRRRRING
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leparoux
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm a big fan of guys like Repole in the game. He had a great talent and ran him in the biggest races. Some folk want the racing game to change, evolve and become for popular but don't want anything to change in the game. Lunacy.

How many times to we complain about owners dodging big races or major competition? Now we are going to complain when they run them in the biggest races? Again... lunacy.

Brogan
11-07-2011, 03:47 PM

You don't spend a lot of time on the backstretch, do ya? lol

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 03:52 PM
...because like you said "he was the worst managed horse possibly in history",That's not really at all what I said. I never said history, and I didn't just say he was mismanaged...I said he was also very unlucky given the timing of his illness.

rastajenk
11-07-2011, 03:52 PM
"Bad Ride" surely tops the list in the day-to-day world of making excuses, usually the result of some kind of linguistic dissonance. :)

ManU918
11-07-2011, 04:10 PM
That's not really at all what I said. I never said history, and I didn't just say he was mismanaged...I said he was also very unlucky given the timing of his illness.

Well what you said was moot. To simplify it Repole ruined his career.

FantasticDan
11-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Cholangiohepatitis ruined Mo's career, not Repole. :bang:

Cholly
11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
All this piling on Repole reminds me of something T. Boone Pickens once said:

"The higher a monkey climbs in the tree, the more people see his ass."

JustRalph
11-07-2011, 04:42 PM
does drinking vitamin water raise the same enzyme levels ?

Whatever. I hope he sires some nice ones. One thing I love about this game is every two or three years we get to see the offspring of name horses and enjoy watching them grow.

Robert Goren
11-07-2011, 04:45 PM
For Christ's sake, the horse developed a rare ailment and it took them awhile to find it. When they figured out what was wrong with the horse, they treated it. When the horse was able to run again, they gave him a shot. The horse was just not the same as before it took ill and now they are retiring him. I, for the life of me, can not see what the owner did wrong. Some people are judging the owner off of a few sound bites on TV that they did not like. Get a life!

Valuist
11-07-2011, 05:15 PM
[/B]

Exactly what I have been saying in Off-topic. Conservatives: BORRRRRRING
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations....you and Hcap and Goren finally converted him!

depalma113
11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Cholangiohepatitis ruined Mo's career, not Repole. :bang:

I think it was actually Cantgolongerthanamileitis.

onefast99
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!
That is a very game horse who runs at parx!

onefast99
11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
For Christ's sake, the horse developed a rare ailment and it took them awhile to find it. When they figured out what was wrong with the horse, they treated it. When the horse was able to run again, they gave him a shot. The horse was just not the same as before it took ill and now they are retiring him. I, for the life of me, can not see what the owner did wrong. Some people are judging the owner off of a few sound bites on TV that they did not like. Get a life!
Very very rarely, if at all, do I ever agree with you but in this case you are right. Vitamin water was berry berry good to Mr Repole, I wish him only the best in this sport with the horses he has now and the yearlings he purchased at keeneland in September. He should spread the horses out amongst a few trainers.

toussaud
11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm not even sure he was the same in his timley writer race.

My personal opinion is I think that he was the same horse, but never was allowed the opportunity to round back into form

I think if he was not given the best horse in the world expectations, and allowed to run where he needs to run, mo would have been unreal. very sad.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Unless you believe his illness was faked, I can't for the life of me understand why people continue to ignore his illness when they talk about his early 3yo races this year.

As if ANYTHING he did on the track while sick should have ANY bearing on the kind of horse you think he is...as if any of those races should have ANY bearing on whether or not you think a mile was/is his best or maximum distance.

I just don't understand the thinking involved in forming these kinds of opinions...again, unless you don't believe Mo was really sick.

toussaud
11-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I think there are more than a few with that opinion honestly.

You have to admit, even if you do agree with the illness, it was mighty convenient to go from the kentucky derby utnil the first 1 turn sprint race grade 1 for restricted 3YO's. Not saying he was or was not sick... just saying I see where it's coming from.

Robert Fischer
11-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I think if he was not given the best horse in the world expectations, and allowed to run where he needs to run, mo would have been unreal. very sad.
so you're saying if only MO's expectations weren't high, you would have high expectations???

Unless you believe his illness was faked, I can't for the life of me understand why people continue to ignore his illness when they talk about his early 3yo races this year.

but, How much better would ZENYATTA have done with the same illness??
GIRL POWER >>>>>>>

Spalding No!
11-07-2011, 06:50 PM

As if ANYTHING he did on the track while sick should have ANY bearing on the kind of horse you think he is...as if any of those races should have ANY bearing on whether or not you think a mile was/is his best or maximum distance.

I just don't understand the thinking involved in forming these kinds of opinions...again, unless you don't believe Mo was really sick.

It's quite a gray area when pinpointing at what stage Uncle Mo was affected by his illness, particularly since he ran well at GP and Aqueduct, albeit not up to the hyped up expectations of the public. I think the sheer fact that his connections raced him twice in the winter and considered him up until the last couple of weeks for the Kentucky Derby suggests that Uncle Mo was quite a ways from being grossly affected by his internal issue.

Otherwise, you'd have to believe two things: (1) that Uncle Mo, to be competitive at all in those early races, must be an extraordinary horse, and (2) his connections knew he wasn't right yet ignored everything and continued to keep him in training. Certainly poor racing performance is not the only sign of an oncoming illness.

Robert Fischer
11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
all jokes aside, Repole was very sporting here.

Mo had a punchers chance and Repole gave him his best shot, after a setback few believed he could even GET to the Classic from.

This wasn't anything like the Life At Ten/Pletcher fiasco...
This was a horse whom experts across the board, BEYER included, advised the public of the risk, and whom went off what 2X? his ML odds...

there were some negative signs even @ 2, and MO was just pushed so hard to be a precocious winner, and sold to an ambitious owner. He should be remembered for his 2yo season, and the fact that he was at least physically "sound" enough to run @ 3. Carries on a good(and hot in sales) precocious 2yo sireline.

Valuist
11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I think there are more than a few with that opinion honestly.

You have to admit, even if you do agree with the illness, it was mighty convenient to go from the kentucky derby utnil the first 1 turn sprint race grade 1 for restricted 3YO's. Not saying he was or was not sick... just saying I see where it's coming from.

I agree 100%. Not saying there wasn't an illness, but we don't know if he had it when he ran in the Wood. Like you said earlier, his Timely Writer wasn't especially good. Nothing one would expect from the supposed second coming of Secretariat. So the timing of the illness is the question.

matthewsiv
11-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Good luck to Mo at Stud and good luck to Repole this game bites everyone in the ass.

However much money you have you never beat this game.

keithw84
11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Did Repole give Uncle Mo the "best" chance to win? No, that would have been the dirt mile, but that doesn't mean the classic was a horrible spot for him. They knew as well as anyone that he was untested at 10f and that "history" was against them, but after the number he put up in his last race, who was to say he wouldn't fire the whole way?

Someone mentioned that he should have been placed in the dirt mile so we could be left wondering what might have been. If you owned a horse who accomplished what Uncle Mo did at 2, wouldn't you rather see if he could win the Classic?

keithw84
11-07-2011, 08:01 PM
"Bad Ride" surely tops the list in the day-to-day world of making excuses, usually the result of some kind of linguistic dissonance. :)

aka EasyGoeritis?

Spalding No!
11-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Someone mentioned that he should have been placed in the dirt mile so we could be left wondering what might have been. If you owned a horse who accomplished what Uncle Mo did at 2, wouldn't you rather see if he could win the Classic?

Not if he would be hard pressed just to make the BC Classic as he was.

He didn't necessarily have to retire after this weekend. The "what might have been" already came and went with the loss of the Triple Crown opportunity. He could have raced next year and been brought up to the BC Classic in a sensible fashion.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 08:09 PM
It's quite a gray area when pinpointing at what stage Uncle Mo was affected by his illness, particularly since he ran well at GP and Aqueduct, albeit not up to the hyped up expectations of the public. I think the sheer fact that his connections raced him twice in the winter and considered him up until the last couple of weeks for the Kentucky Derby suggests that Uncle Mo was quite a ways from being grossly affected by his internal issue.

Otherwise, you'd have to believe two things: (1) that Uncle Mo, to be competitive at all in those early races, must be an extraordinary horse, and (2) his connections knew he wasn't right yet ignored everything and continued to keep him in training. Certainly poor racing performance is not the only sign of an oncoming illness.He ran the lowest figure of his CAREER at Gulfstream (per cj's numbers), and that's why I bet AGAINST him at Aqueduct (publicly posted on this very board by the way).

There is no doubt in my mind that he WAS grossly affected. Whether or not his connections knew yet where to look for a cause is still unknown. Obviously, there was nothing wrong with his muscular/skeletal system, which is the first area they would concentrate on...

The fact that he WAS competitive shows me that he was an extraordinary horse, and it also showed me how weak his competition really was.

Maybe his connections knew something wasn't right SOMEWHERE (could have been in his head for all they knew), and maybe they just hadn't FOUND what was wrong YET...so they continued to train/race him in the hopes of having him "snap out of it."

toussaud
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
see that's where it gets tricky/murky

let';s say, he was effected by the illness in the timley writer. by no means out the question, as it was a bad race by his standards. Even his 3YO standards that was a pretty crappy race in retrospect.

okay, so what is that really saying? IF you agree with that, there is no positive outcome explanation. You are either saying that Todd Pletcher doesn't monitor his horses, or he knew he was sick with a serious illness and ran him anyway

for the sake of not opening up a can of worms, i prefer to go upon the lines of his timley writer was just a come back race, knock the rust off, and that he got sick around/ after the wood. I admit I'm not Pletchers greatest fan, but even I won't stoop that low to think he would run a horse that is that sick, knowingly.

JustRalph
11-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey! He was only six off the winner right? If you would have seen how good he looked after his last race (and I mean in the winners circle) You could make a case for him running in the classic. I thought he looked a little thin, but he looked great to my untrained eyes.

He came out ok, so why not move on?

Spalding No!
11-07-2011, 08:24 PM
He ran the lowest figure of his CAREER at Gulfstream (per cj's numbers), and that's why I bet AGAINST him at Aqueduct (publicly posted on this very board by the way).

There is no doubt in my mind that he WAS grossly affected. Whether or not his connections knew yet where to look for a cause is still unknown. Obviously, there was nothing wrong with his muscular/skeletal system, which is the first area they would concentrate on...

The fact that he WAS competitive shows me that he was an extraordinary horse, and it also showed me how weak his competition really was.

Maybe his connections knew something wasn't right SOMEWHERE (could have been in his head for all they knew), and maybe they just hadn't FOUND what was wrong YET...so they continued to train/race him in the hopes of having him "snap out of it."

Fair enough, but the other gray area I failed to mention was how his illness would affect him.

As I said, he still seem to run pretty competitively, even if the efforts weren't up to his 2yo form. Lots of good juveniles fail to move forward or even regress over the winter.

From a logical standpoint, one would think that an internal illness focused on a major organ, affecting his whole physical well-being including his ability to maintain normal body weight, would render him unable to compete at any level. I would expect him to run last by many, not simply run below par.

Nevertheless, with all the question marks, I basically agree that it's pointless to use his winter races against him, just as it is dubious to think that his tailor-made Kelso is proof positive that he was one for the ages. He had 2012 to prove that and it won't happen.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Not if he would be hard pressed just to make the BC Classic as he was.

He didn't necessarily have to retire after this weekend. The "what might have been" already came and went with the loss of the Triple Crown opportunity. He could have raced next year and been brought up to the BC Classic in a sensible fashion.Given that his liver seems to be "flaring up" post BC Classic, and given what the vet stated in that article, I don't see how they could have possibly entertained the notion of ever running him again.

Obviously, this disease clearly has ended his career once and for all.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Fair enough, but the other gray area I failed to mention was how his illness would affect him.

As I said, he still seem to run pretty competitively, even if the efforts weren't up to his 2yo form. Lots of good juveniles fail to move forward or even regress over the winter.

From a logical standpoint, one would think that an internal illness focused on a major organ, affecting his whole physical well-being including his ability to maintain normal body weight, would render him unable to compete at any level. I would expect him to run last by many, not simply run below par.

Nevertheless, with all the question marks, I basically agree that it's pointless to use his winter races against him, just as it is dubious to think that his tailor-made Kelso is proof positive that he was one for the ages. He had 2012 to prove that and it won't happen.The great runs seem to be able to compete with just about anything affecting them...

We only have to go back to Lost in the Fog to see that...

keithw84
11-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey! He was only six off the winner right?

Incredible how closely bunched the field was... what does that say about the overall quality of the race? Or the fractions?

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 08:33 PM
You are either saying that Todd Pletcher doesn't monitor his horses, or he knew he was sick with a serious illness and ran him anywayWhy do you even have to go to that extreme? Do you think every time a horse has blood drawn they routinely check for whatever liver disease it was that Uncle Mo had...Uncle Mo lost 200 pounds while he was sidelined with the illness that initially puzzled veterinarians and Pletcher alike.Medicine is part art and part science. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what, if anything, is wrong with a patient who can't talk.

keithw84
11-07-2011, 10:51 PM
He didn't necessarily have to retire after this weekend. The "what might have been" already came and went with the loss of the Triple Crown opportunity. He could have raced next year and been brought up to the BC Classic in a sensible fashion.

I agree. I don't fault Repole for going for the big one, but I do think it was silly to treat this BC as the only opportunity.

camourous
11-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Why do you even have to go to that extreme? Do you think every time a horse has blood drawn they routinely check for whatever liver disease it was that Uncle Mo had...Medicine is part art and part science. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what, if anything, is wrong with a patient who can't talk.

I bet if you were to run these extensive tests on every horse in the Pletcher barn a bunch of them would have this illness..

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2011, 11:01 PM
I bet if you were to run these extensive tests on every horse in the Pletcher barn a bunch of them would have this illness..Really? You think a bunch of Pletcher horses are dropping 200+ pounds left and right?

SmartyLane
11-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I had the opportunity to experience this years BC on the 5th floor in the Trophy Room. This area of Churchill is just behind all the finish line suites. The balcony I watched the races from was shared with those in the suites if they wanted to come out.

I was within arms reach of George Bolton, Repole, Dottie Sheriffs, David Ngordo, the Ramseys, could go on and on. I am not bragging here, let me be clear that I for sure didnt fit in but took full advantage of knowing an owner that really took care of my group.

That being said, Repole was very very nice and willing to say hi and take pictures with anybody. He was ripping with the tvg guys for not picking Mo and having a great time. No matter if you like him or not he is very good for this game. Most of the people I was around this weekend were not like him at all. They were very snooty and very nice to anybody. I saw some very disappointing actions by these people to the workers of Churchill. No please or thank you, and throwing the paper towels on the floor for the bathroom attendants to pick up. How hard is it to make it go in the trash can? Repole may not be the establishment crowd, but if that crowd is what I saw this past weekend I will take Mike everyday.

the people I mentioned above are not included in the bad manners either. Bolton is a very nice guy, and Mr Ramsey was the nicest guy of all of these. His wife also.

I agree with Pace, Repole is what we need, and IMO more of.

Grits
11-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm sorry, but the way you are speaking of these people is bizarre. "I was within arms reach . . . ."

You speak as though they are on a different level of being. That their humanity is somehow of greater value than your own. I promise you, it is not.

Their money, their presence in the Trophy Room, or whatever . . . the notion is that they have achieved more, so therefore, they must be revered? Are they approachable or not? Will they will be nice and talk to me or let me stand beside them for a photo? They are entitled to a certain condition of respect, certain surroundings, certain treatment towards others? All of this an indication of their own lack of grace. Something which is far more important in gauging our humanity.

Does one's money place one above others? No. It doesn't. It never has and it never will. However, it may in the mind of an unfortunate soul who hasn't learned better, but this would be their problem--not yours or mine.

These people who were "within arms reach" are human just like all the rest of us, including the middle class, and too, the poor. In this case, these folks happen to own, or have worked around, horses.

I wouldn't have cared whether they acknowledged me or not. Being within their small circle wouldn't have mattered to me in the least.

I was there for their horses. Not for them.

I had the opportunity to experience this years BC on the 5th floor in the Trophy Room. This area of Churchill is just behind all the finish line suites. The balcony I watched the races from was shared with those in the suites if they wanted to come out.

I was within arms reach of George Bolton, Repole, Dottie Sheriffs, David Ngordo, the Ramseys, could go on and on. I am not bragging here, let me be clear that I for sure didnt fit in but took full advantage of knowing an owner that really took care of my group.

That being said, Repole was very very nice and willing to say hi and take pictures with anybody. He was ripping with the tvg guys for not picking Mo and having a great time. No matter if you like him or not he is very good for this game. Most of the people I was around this weekend were not like him at all. They were very snooty and very nice to anybody. I saw some very disappointing actions by these people to the workers of Churchill. No please or thank you, and throwing the paper towels on the floor for the bathroom attendants to pick up. How hard is it to make it go in the trash can? Repole may not be the establishment crowd, but if that crowd is what I saw this past weekend I will take Mike everyday.

the people I mentioned above are not included in the bad manners either. Bolton is a very nice guy, and Mr Ramsey was the nicest guy of all of these. His wife also.

rastajenk
11-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I was there for their horses. Not for them.Good for you. What exactly is the point of your reply?

Grits
11-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Good for you. What exactly is the point of your reply?

If you don't get the point, I sure can't help you.

5k-claim
11-08-2011, 11:36 AM
These people who were "within arms reach" are human just like all the rest of us, including the middle class, and too, the poor. In this case, these folks happen to own, or have worked around, horses.I can't speak for the OP, but maybe that was his point given some of the posts in this thread piling on Repole? That would give his post some context, at least.

Did Repole get excited and overreach with his horse? Maybe, maybe not... but he had put up his money and it was his horse. And as others have mentioned, his horse did have a puncher's chance at the very least.

Repole is without question good for the sport.

As for the other owners mentioned in the post you responded to- I think one thing that sets them apart is that they, like Repole, are putting themselves up for criticism by actually competing in this sport... mistakes and all. And yes, that is a difference from just being a part of the great din of noise emanating from the sidelines. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm sorry, but the way you are speaking of these people is bizarre. "I was within arms reach . . . ."

You speak as though they are on a different level of being. That their humanity is somehow of greater value than your own. I promise you, it is not.

Their money, their presence in the Trophy Room, or whatever . . . the notion is that they have achieved more, so therefore, they must be revered? Are they approachable or not? Will they will be nice and talk to me or let me stand beside them for a photo? They are entitled to a certain condition of respect, certain surroundings, certain treatment towards others? All of this an indication of their own lack of grace. Something which is far more important in gauging our humanity.

Does one's money place one above others? No. It doesn't. It never has and it never will. However, it may in the mind of an unfortunate soul who hasn't learned better, but this would be their problem--not yours or mine.

These people who were "within arms reach" are human just like all the rest of us, including the middle class, and too, the poor. In this case, these folks happen to own, or have worked around, horses.

I wouldn't have cared whether they acknowledged me or not. Being within their small circle wouldn't have mattered to me in the least.

rastajenk
11-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I just didn't think a casual, first-hand observation about the behavioral differences among the social strata deserved a sermon. Maybe it did, I could be wrong.

I tend to be on the side of those that think Repolish characters are good for the game. I can't tell if you do or not, based on your post that had nothing whatsoever to do with anything else in this particular thread. :kiss:

tzipi
11-08-2011, 11:51 AM
LOL. No, HE is the one that is whacked. His giant ego made him run the horse in the wrong race. And just about everyone knew it, too.

And if owners stopped putting top horses in against the best, like they should...You'd be on here mad. ;)

Grits
11-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I just didn't think a casual, first-hand observation about the behavioral differences among the social strata deserved a sermon. Maybe it did, I could be wrong.

I tend to be on the side of those that think Repolish characters are good for the game. I can't tell if you do or not, based on your post that had nothing whatsoever to do with anything else in this particular thread. :kiss:

I'm sorry you didn't get anything but the desire to term my post a sermon. The kissing emoticon's unnecessary. Save it next time if you will. Please.

Cardus
11-08-2011, 12:35 PM

To the uninformed (and sermonizers everywhere): "within arms reach" is an expression denoting physical proximity to a person, or a goal.

Really simple.

SmartyLane
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Well I wasn't trying to really start anything, sorry about that or the words I used.

Just saying Repole was really nice to everyone and is good for horse racing.

Should of just kept it simple I guess, and just said I was close.

Edit: I to am there for the horses btw. I only wager on derby day, the BC races, and a few others here and there. I love horses and the racing. I could careless about being there for these people.

Shelby
11-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Well I wasn't trying to really start anything, sorry about that or the words I used.

Edit: I to am there for the horses btw. I only wager on derby day, the BC races, and a few others here and there. I love horses and the racing. I could careless about being there for these people.

I think it's awesome that you got such a great view!

Right on the finish line!!

I'd have loved to have seats next to all that you mentioned because I would have enjoyed soaking up any knowledge that I could glean (aka eavesdrop lol). Especially the Ramsey's. They seem so interesting.

tbwinner
11-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Was this really necessary? SmartyLane just said he wasn't trying to start anything nor did I take it that way. He basically just explained how he felt that Repole was a nice guy when he felt he didn't need to be. Not everyone gets the chance to hang out with stakes-class horse owners and he wasn't implying that they're better than anyone else.

Of course their horses were the reason he was there. He said it was great to be around the industry's finest...not say that they're better "people" than anyone else.

tbwinner
11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
I think it's awesome that you got such a great view!

Right on the finish line!!

I'd have loved to have seats next to all that you mentioned because I would have enjoyed soaking up any knowledge that I could glean (aka eavesdrop lol). Especially the Ramsey's. They seem so interesting.

I love how Ken Ramsey is so talkative and how he led in Stephanie's Kitten to the winners circle himself while Catalano was trying to get him to stop...he always makes a scene in the winners circle!

Shelby
11-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I love how Ken Ramsey is so talkative and how he led in Stephanie's Kitten to the winners circle himself while Catalano was trying to get him to stop...he always makes a scene in the winners circle!

I know!!! Me too!! :ThmbUp:

Grits
11-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Was this really necessary? SmartyLane just said he wasn't trying to start anything nor did I take it that way. He basically just explained how he felt that Repole was a nice guy when he felt he didn't need to be. Not everyone gets the chance to hang out with stakes-class horse owners and he wasn't implying that they're better than anyone else.

Of course their horses were the reason he was there. He said it was great to be around the industry's finest...not say that they're better "people" than anyone else.

You know, I really don't care, at this point. Stakes class horse owners are no different than anyone else--this includes yourself. You put your clothes on just as everyone else. Having spent a good deal of time with stakes class horse owners, I'm pretty aware of this.

Some people buy horses, some people buy yachts. Some people haven't the means to own either. These people are often more wealthy. I know, for certain, they're equally as valued.

EOC.

NY BRED
11-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Can they stable LaT and Mo next to each other? They deserve each other.

Read my post several days ago prior to this news.

I really loved the way UM won at CD last year, and noted
the commentary on the works(TVG) after viewing UM, who was rated by
Tom Amoss as having the poorest work of the day. I also admire
Mike Repole for his enthusiasm, but have questioned Trainer
responsibilty (I know this is futile) after seeing this race, and
the horror show with L@T

I simply can't believe the horse wasn't tested prior to the BC Classic,
thankfully he survived the race and is retired.

He does have a Grade I credit which makes him a valuable sire,
but the poor showing/"excuse" at the wrong distance and
poor performance should adversely impact his babies.

Takeaway: While I have also blasted TVG for their insane Pick3/4/6/super'
bets I commend them for The Works, truly well done and a valuable
tool for the BC, as against blindly accepting the printed works both
on BC Triple Crown and everyday racing...

SmartyLane
11-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Back to the subject.....

What do you all think the stud fee will be? 30k to 40k maybe?

FenceBored
11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Back to the subject.....

Hmm, in this market? I'll guess around 25k (between the 15k for now-deceased 2yo champ War Pass and the 35k of 2yo & 3yo champ Lookin at Lucky).

Cardus
11-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Don't apologize. You did nothing wrong.

Cardus
11-09-2011, 09:17 AM

I passed Zuccotti Park a few days ago.

Which one were you?

Shelby
11-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but, can the illness that Uncle Mo has be passed on to offspring?

toussaud
11-09-2011, 12:06 PM
the truth is that people try to paint pepole as "good" and "evil" and there is no such thing. Everyone is gray. There is a bit of good in the worst of us, a bit of bad in the best of us. I"m sure Mike Repole has his very redeeming qualities. I mean, you can probably fit all the men that can start a company and sale it for 4 billion dollars in the world in one red lobster.
a
The truth is, he is probalby a very good guy. He probably does really love horsracing. I don't doubt that for one second. I'm sure he cares greatly about uncle mo and all his horses. It's also true, that he does talk to much or likes to hear himself talk, or has an exaggerated since of self worth to the game of horse racing that can get tiresome to listen to. I'ts not like you have to chose between the qualities that he possess. no less so than I'm quite sure J. T Lundy was actually a pretty nice person if you got to know him. I'm not equating Mike Repole to Lundy at all, just saying, we all have our good and bad points to some extent and they aren't exclusive.

I also thought ashford was an interesting choice for a stud farm. They usually like to shuttle their popular stallions to Australia. I don't see them getting up in arms about a son of Indian charlie down under. Asford has no qualms at all breeding a horse 400 times a year.

JustRalph
11-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but, can the illness that Uncle Mo has be passed on to offspring?

they sure made it sound like that can't happen in the story they did about him retiring.

"Repole said that Dr. Doug Byars, one of the three veterinarians who diagnosed Uncle Mo earlier in the year, said that an elevated GGT enzyme is not hereditary."

toussaud
11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
It's kinda like that scene in the sopranos at the end of season 6 when, damn what's her name, the good looking girl of Chris, gets wacked because she was going to go snitch, and all the FBI agents are sitting in the room and the woman FBI agent says "what if she did run away, she could be gone really far by now" and everyone in the room looks at her like she is freaking crazy.

that's kinda how I feel about the GI infection coming up right at the time of the Kentucky derby and going away right at the time for the kings bishop, just right after he purely by coincidence, ran the worst race of his life, also by pure chance, which happened to be a 9F race.

I just don't buy it. Never did. I could very well be wrong. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

Doesn't mean Mo was not a great horse. I believe he was. He just was not a great handicap horse. In retrospect, that race in the kings bishop, off 4-5 months rest, against calebs posse, who we know now is VERY VERY good, shows just what type of metal the horse has. That was a bang up race in retrospect.

It's like, somewhere along the line, great horses weren't allowed to have flaws. there is always something wrong if a horse doesn't trounce the competition at any distance at any track in the country. My personal opinion is that, they did not want to admit uncle mo, was a sprinter. A very very very good sprinter, but a sprinter. miler at best. Like, it's so unlikely that other horses, just might have closed the talent gap at 3, or that some horses with better stamina pedigrees might want to run further than he does.

It would be like taking black caviar and running her in the melborne cup, and because when she loses, because she's a dead to rights sprinter, making up some bullshit excuse as to why she didn't win the race by 10 lengths.

Robert Fischer
11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Doesn't mean Mo was not a great horse. I believe he was. He just was not a great handicap horse.

The one time in his life that Mo ran in a handicap race he ran a sub 1:34 Mile in the Kelso.

Granted the "handicap:rolleyes: weights":sleeping: were a complete joke like most "handicap" races, and further confusing the mockery of the "handicap" obvious favorite MO was given a 4lb break to 4yo Jackson Bend.

also granted im being a little bit of a jerk and kinda know what you meant = best guess is "classic distance horse"?

toussaud
11-09-2011, 01:37 PM
The one time in his life that Mo ran in a handicap race he ran a sub 1:34 Mile in the Kelso.

Granted the "handicap:rolleyes: weights":sleeping: were a complete joke like most "handicap" races, and further confusing the mockery of the "handicap" obvious favorite MO was given a 4lb break to 4yo Jackson Bend.

also granted im being a little bit of a jerk and kinda know what you meant = best guess is "classic distance horse"?
we used the words handicap in 2 different meanings. when I say handicap I meant handicap division as in "classic", "Stephen foster, santa anita handicap, pacific classic, JCGC, Breeders cup classic" type races, not actual handicap races like you mean, which is my fault.

skate
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM

not heard that one befur

Robert Fischer
11-09-2011, 01:41 PM
we used the words handicap in 2 different meanings. when I say handicap I meant handicap division as in "classic", "Stephen foster, santa anita handicap, pacific classic, JCGC, Breeders cup classic" type races, not actual handicap races like you mean, which is my fault.

i think you used the phrase correctly in that sense.

bad post by me.

I also at least do not believe that Mo was retired due to "enzymes". It looks like his risk reward as a racehorse was maxed out, and he has his breeding career to tend to where they have been inflating the indian charlie market at the last several sales.

skate
11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!

What?...Black nights of the Nyuck

http://ewpopwatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/seanpenn_l.jpg

nijinski
11-09-2011, 01:49 PM
It's kinda like that scene in the sopranos at the end of season 6 when, damn what's her name, the good looking girl of Chris, gets wacked because she was going to go snitch, and all the FBI agents are sitting in the room and the woman FBI agent says "what if she did run away, she could be gone really far by now" and everyone in the room looks at her like she is freaking crazy.

that's kinda how I feel about the GI infection coming up right at the time of the Kentucky derby and going away right at the time for the kings bishop, just right after he purely by coincidence, ran the worst race of his life, also by pure chance, which happened to be a 9F race.

I just don't buy it. Never did. I could very well be wrong. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

Doesn't mean Mo was not a great horse. I believe he was. He just was not a great handicap horse. In retrospect, that race in the kings bishop, off 4-5 months rest, against calebs posse, who we know now is VERY VERY good, shows just what type of metal the horse has. That was a bang up race in retrospect.

It's like, somewhere along the line, great horses weren't allowed to have flaws. there is always something wrong if a horse doesn't trounce the competition at any distance at any track in the country. My personal opinion is that, they did not want to admit uncle mo, was a sprinter. A very very very good sprinter, but a sprinter. miler at best. Like, it's so unlikely that other horses, just might have closed the talent gap at 3, or that some horses with better stamina pedigrees might want to run further than he does.

It would be like taking black caviar and running her in the melborne cup, and because when she loses, because she's a dead to rights sprinter, making up some bullshit excuse as to why she didn't win the race by 10 lengths.
No way would they want to dream up Cholangiohepatitis . I have no doubt that this is what Mo has . I also know that GI disorders are not that simple to
diagnose so the treatments Mo was getting for the GI tract disorder that goes hand in hand with it worked early on, but it takes time. They did the scopes , lab , pathology etc but eventually he needed more tests.
A horse can completely recover , and yes Mo was looking great and doing well. Unfortunately in his case he still needs some TLC , might even be back on antibiotics.
How much does it take to convince people , they are basically making his medical records public .

Shelby
11-10-2011, 09:48 AM
they sure made it sound like that can't happen in the story they did about him retiring.

"Repole said that Dr. Doug Byars, one of the three veterinarians who diagnosed Uncle Mo earlier in the year, said that an elevated GGT enzyme is not hereditary."

Thanks. I missed that in the article.

FenceBored
11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Back to the subject.....

Good call. Better than that other guy.

Hmm, in this market? I'll guess around 25k (between the 15k for now-deceased 2yo champ War Pass and the 35k of 2yo & 3yo champ Lookin at Lucky).

Wrongo, sunshine. $35k (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/66165/uncle-mo-to-stand-for-35000-at-ashford).

Meanwhile LaL drops to $30k.

<Editor's Note: photo of "crow pie" removed due to google warning on site that is hosting photo>

Mmmm, tasty.

overthehill
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
It seems to me the owners and trainers should try to do what best for the horse too so your use of the word sporty doesnt really sit well with me. Most of us armchair types felt that the preparation the horse had was not sufficient to send him 1 1/4 miles against top flight horses, on top of that he did not work well the coming up to the race. I thought the ml for the race was pretty awful as a handicapper I certainly preferred the chances of both Flat Out and HTG over those of Uncle MO. however had he run in the mile he would have been a deserving odds on choice win or lose. I dont know how the Uncle Mo will be regarded at stud. seems like you can say he was a stellar two year old then not much else to write home about. The 3 year olds this year have turned into a pretty disappointing group.

nijinski
11-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Stud Fee is $35,000.00 per Bloodhorse , sorry if it's been posted .

cnollfan
11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
I, for the life of me, can not see what the owner did wrong.

I thought entering Uncle Mo in the Kentucky Derby was selfish, as it took a spot away from a horse who was actually going to run.