PDA

View Full Version : BREEDERS CUP HANDLE

lamboguy
11-06-2011, 03:51 PM
with one extra race from last year and the very same dirt venue from the year before the BREEDER'S CUP handle managed to be down only 7% from the year before. people are blaming the lack of information that the public gets pertaining to racehorse's. i don't think that many people are upset that the winning horse in the classic, DROSSELMEYER trained and ran without bar shoes on and not knowing about it. in the nfl you would know about injuries and changes prior to their events. the nfl has big television contracts though.

personally i think the handle was down because ZENYATTA was in LEXINGTON instead of LOUISVILLE.

next year i would highly advise the BREEDER'S CUP operation to bring her in for the weekend.

nijinski
11-06-2011, 04:28 PM
The shoeboard I read on TV said Drosselmeyer ran with Bar Shoes in front , you mention without?
Then again it was no secret that he had issues in the past with his feet , but Mott made it pretty clear he was very happy with the way he was training.

andymays
11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
I thought they would be down about 15% from last year because of all the Zenyatta publicity in 2010.

All things considered I think it was a success.

lamboguy
11-06-2011, 04:46 PM
The shoeboard I read on TV said Drosselmeyer ran with Bar Shoes in front , you mention without?
Then again it was no secret that he had issues in the past with his feet , but Mott made it pretty clear he was very happy with the way he was training.i had heard the very same thing, a friend of mine that was there that i respect said he didn't see them on him.

i have never seen a horse run that good in a race like that one with bar shoes on. the odds of winning any race with bar shoes on is something like 500-1.

the horse had run his prior race with bar shoes on. not only that, but if you are playing horses from your house its not that easy to know what kind of shoes the horses have on their feet. the shoeboard is never on television.

andymays
11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
with one extra race from last year and the very same dirt venue from the year before the BREEDER'S CUP handle managed to be down only 7% from the year before. people are blaming the lack of information that the public gets pertaining to racehorse's. i don't think that many people are upset that the winning horse in the classic, DROSSELMEYER trained and ran without bar shoes on and not knowing about it. in the nfl you would know about injuries and changes prior to their events. the nfl has big television contracts though.

personally i think the handle was down because ZENYATTA was in LEXINGTON instead of LOUISVILLE.

next year i would highly advise the BREEDER'S CUP operation to bring her in for the weekend.

Handle was down 4.9%.

nijinski
11-06-2011, 05:04 PM
i had heard the very same thing, a friend of mine that was there that i respect said he didn't see them on him.

i have never seen a horse run that good in a race like that one with bar shoes on. the odds of winning any race with bar shoes on is something like 500-1.

the horse had run his prior race with bar shoes on. not only that, but if you are playing horses from your house its not that easy to know what kind of shoes the horses have on their feet. the shoeboard is never on television.
In the low right hand side of the screen at the OTB which I had to get closer to read flashed the shoeboard . I had already made the bet or I may have changed my mind after reading bar shoes in front. The listings came up
on just about every race I was there for.
He trained with bars for the Belmont but thet were pulled for that race .

nijinski
11-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Lambo , the DRF chart of the Classic confirms that Drosselmeyer is the
500-1 winner with Bar Shoes ;) . Got to hand it him , that's quite a task.

I noticed Birdrun was equipped with them too. They both have the r under
equipment changes in the charts.
A testimony to the great job by Mott and his farrier!! But very surprised
it wasn't given much exposure . Then again if he was the early favorite I'm
sure there would have been more chatter .

teddy
11-07-2011, 07:51 AM
I know I lost twice as much, so I did my part. Had some live ones going but connecting two $40 horses is tough.

DJofSD
11-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Shoe board. Where is it? I remember years ago when I first attended the races (back before simulcasting). You had to learn the ropes and check things like the LASIX list and the shoe board.

But in this day and age, old habits and traditions persist. Information seems to be hard to come by or at least is not available in a timely manner.

Why is information about shoes not treated like blinkers? Or LASIX?

iceknight
11-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Shoe board. Where is it? I remember years ago when I first attended the races (back before simulcasting). You had to learn the ropes and check things like the LASIX list and the shoe board.

But in this day and age, old habits and traditions persist. Information seems to be hard to come by or at least is not available in a timely manner.

Why is information about shoes not treated like blinkers? Or LASIX?

Ruler on Ice came third after losing a shoe.. So I think (or you think?) you guys are over analyzing by doing post mortem. Not many expected Drosselmeyer to win the belmont stakes either, right? he was what the 4th favored horse back then at 13-1? But that's what makes this game so much fun. We always tend to find more angles afterward!! Shoes matter.. but by how much?

DJofSD
11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Shoes matter.. but by how much?

It use to be very important when horses were essential for daily life and in war. See: http://www.ask.com/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail_%28proverb%29

But for racing, I guess it depends on whether you think how a horse travels is affected by shoes. From first hand experience with horses in eventing and other equestrian activities, it matters a lot, one hell of a lot.

lamboguy
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
i have lived through the days of JJ KELLY, to many he was the best foot guy in america. he always watched the way his horses traveled during their works. if he didn't like the way the horse went he went to work on the horse's feet and often changed shoeing until he got it right.

sure there have been horses to win with bar shoes,and there have been plenty that have won throwing one of their shoes. but when horses train with bar shoes it only means there was something wrong with their foot, and the bar shoe was on to protect something.

jj's best line was always NO HOOF NO HORSE

lamboguy
11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Ruler on Ice came third after losing a shoe.. So I think (or you think?) you guys are over analyzing by doing post mortem. Not many expected Drosselmeyer to win the belmont stakes either, right? he was what the 4th favored horse back then at 13-1? But that's what makes this game so much fun. We always tend to find more angles afterward!! Shoes matter.. but by how much?
as far as expecting drosselmeyer to win, he was training better than ever before the race. he didn't win by accident.

elhelmete
11-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Just innocently asking how a thread about declining handle and attendance has devolved into a shoe discussion? ;) ;)

DJofSD
11-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Thread drift. Happens all of the time. I used to care about it but got over it.