PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Euro horses the weekend

Leparoux
11-06-2011, 11:13 AM
As a group, what grade would you give them?

cj
11-06-2011, 11:28 AM
B-

toussaud
11-06-2011, 11:37 AM
C

redshift1
11-06-2011, 12:26 PM
If I remember correctly there were two Euro winners out of 15 races with zero dirt winners.

European grass to American dirt seems an automatic toss no matter the form or record.

D for dismal.

ten2oneormore
11-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd say C- or D.

Aside from St Nicholas Abbey there weren't any others that were impressive.I'm sure Wrote will come out of this overrated but our main players were screwed by their posts.

Impressive
St Nicholas Abbey

Ran Good
Wrote
Misty For Me
Shumoos

Disappointed
Elusive Kate
Brigantin
Casper Netscher
Sarafina
Midday
Await The Dawn
Goldikova
Strong Suit
So You Think

redshift1
11-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Don't forget:

Crusade and Daddy Long Legs

cj
11-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I'd say C- or D.

Aside from St Nicholas Abbey there weren't any others that were impressive.I'm sure Wrote will come out of this overrated but our main players were screwed by their posts.

Impressive
St Nicholas Abbey

Ran Good
Wrote
Misty For Me
Shumoos

Disappointed
Elusive Kate
Brigantin
Casper Netscher
Sarafina
Midday
Await The Dawn
Goldikova
Strong Suit
So You Think

Wrote wasn't impressive?

horses4courses
11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Wrote wasn't impressive?

I would certainly say that he was....and the show horse, Faraaj, ran well.

ten2oneormore
11-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I guess,maybe I worded it wrong and should've put outstanding, but think Finale would have gave Wrote some competition if he wasn't wide the whole way.Just about all the US horses with a good chance were from the 10 post out.

Leparoux
11-07-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup-aside-obrien-europeans-mostly-struggled

Trainer Aidan O’Brien sent 11 horses -- eight more than any other European horseman – to Churchill Downs for the 2011 Breeders’ Cup and was the only overseas trainer to get his picture taken this weekend.

Robert Fischer
11-07-2011, 04:06 PM
it goes with the trips too...

a few of the euros had a lot of horse but no chance...

for example Byword may have looked better running 8th, than Shumoos running 2nd (relative, for class)

add Sea Moon somewhere in the thread

nijinski
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Unless they come here much earlier than the race , they have a bit of a
disadvantage from the get go IMO. Makes the winners that much more impressive. Sea Moon ran a nice race for second place along with the other
two winners.
Horses coming from the Arc ? Not sure how well they usually fare , that has to be tough to do , but I know a few of the better one's have been defeated .

gm10
11-07-2011, 04:52 PM
It was a bit disappointing, although I think that some of the horses that they sent this year (and most other years) were overrated or past their best. In my opinion, it's never a bad idea to include horses like Brilliant Speed in your tri/supers. They get ignored by the public, and at the same time they are often economically ridden because the prize money for 3rd/4th is still huge and the competition looks superior on paper.

Valuist
11-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Sea Moon, Misty for Me and Wrote were all impressive, IMO.

I don't think the CD course suited a horse like Sarafina.