PDA

View Full Version : What is this, California?

cj
11-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't know how big this earthquake was that just hit us here in Oklahoma, but that is some freaky shit!

lsbets
11-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Just felt it here in Texas. WTF? Was almost asleep my wife told me to stop shaking the bed and then said our mirror was moving.

JustRalph
11-06-2011, 12:05 AM

Just now showing up at online sites

cj
11-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah, it shook the hell out of this place. We had some early in the am this morning (so I hear) but they didn't wake me.

bigmack
11-06-2011, 12:09 AM
You Okies had a 4.8 'round 2AM this morn and a 5.2 now.

Was it a jolt or a roll?

maddog42
11-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Was it a jolt or a roll?

It was God reacting after the OSU win.

lsbets
11-06-2011, 12:13 AM

Was it a jolt or a roll?

It was a roll here, lasted 30-45 seconds. My wife called 911 to see if it was an earthquake and they told her we don't have earthquakes and hung up on her. :lol:

JustRalph
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
People in Kansas now reporting a quake on twitter

Same one ?

bigmack
11-06-2011, 12:16 AM
It was a roll here, lasted 30-45 seconds.
That would be extraordinarily long. Musta been the shock of the moment that made it seem that.

Same one ?

Yeah. Ground can roll for hundreds of miles.

lsbets
11-06-2011, 12:19 AM
That would be extraordinarily long. Musta been the shock of the moment that made it seem that.

Could be, my wife thought I was shaking the bed and she thought I was, then we saw our mirror shaking and my son came downstairs asking what happened. It's a first for me. Weird.

Kudos to PA. Checked the TV and internet news sites, saw nothing. Got on PA and saw CJ's post.

cj
11-06-2011, 12:21 AM

Yeah. Ground can roll for hundreds of miles.

I think it was about 30 seconds at least.

maddog42
11-06-2011, 12:22 AM

Just now showing up at online sites
Lived in oklahoma all my life, and i remember one other mild quake. This one was kinda scarey. My house shook like Scooby Doo on steroids.

bigmack
11-06-2011, 12:24 AM
I think it was about 30 seconds at least.
Wowzer. That is not common. Rolled for you as well without any angular jolting?

cj
11-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Wowzer. That is not common. Rolled for you as well without any angular jolting?

Honestly, I wouldn't know the difference.

cj
11-06-2011, 12:26 AM
It was just upped to a 5.6. Some people are reporting it lasted over a minute.

bigmack
11-06-2011, 12:43 AM
As a reference, Northridge out here in '94 lasted only 15 seconds but was a 6.7.

'Ground acceleration' is another component and is what can REALLY cause damage. Northridge had one of the highest on record. Sounds like there was little with this.

In any event, in all the EQ's I've been in out here, none have lasted over :15-:20 tops.

BetHorses!
11-06-2011, 12:53 AM
5.6 CJ in the same position where the 4.7 was this morning that didn't wake you.

witchdoctor
11-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Got home and my son asked me about it and I said I didn't notice it. I guess I was drinking too much.

Got to catch a flight out to San Francisco.

BetHorses!
11-06-2011, 09:23 AM
In NY this summer we had quake and hurricane in same week! You guys in ok need to get ready for possible tornadoes on Tuesday now...jeez

I prefer the storms. The quakes freak me out. No warnings, no watches, just normal life and one second later boom. Very scary. My building shook so bad in NY that I ran down the stairs to get out. Apparently thats the wrong thing to do. I was suppose to stay put and drop, cover and hold on:

In MOST situations, you will reduce your chance of injury if you:

DROP down onto your hands and knees (before the earthquakes knocks you down). This position protects you from falling but allows you to still move if necessary.
COVER your head and neck (and your entire body if possible) under a sturdy table or desk. If there is no shelter nearby, only then should you get down near an interior wall (or next to low-lying furniture that won't fall on you), and cover your head and neck with your arms and hands.
HOLD ON to your shelter (or to your head and neck) until the shaking stops. Be prepared to move with your shelter if the shaking shifts it around.

BetHorses!
11-06-2011, 09:24 AM
This is good for different situations

http://www.earthquakecountry.info/roots/step5.html

If you are...

Indoors: Drop, cover, and hold on. Drop to the floor, take cover under a sturdy desk or table, and hold on to it firmly. Be prepared to move with it until the shaking stops. If you are not near a desk or table, drop to the floor against the interior wall and protect your head and neck with your arms. Avoid exterior walls, windows, hanging objects, mirrors, tall furniture, large appliances, and kitchen cabinets with heavy objects or glass. Do not go outside!

In bed: If you are in bed, hold on and stay there, protecting your head with a pillow. You are less likely to be injured staying where you are. Broken glass on the floor has caused injury to those who have rolled to the floor or tried to get to doorways.

In a high-rise: Drop, cover, and hold on. Avoid windows and other hazards. Do not use elevators. Do not be surprised if sprinkler systems or fire alarms activate.

Outdoors: Move to a clear area if you can safely do so; avoid power lines, trees, signs, buildings, vehicles, and other hazards.

Driving: Pull over to the side of the road, stop, and set the parking brake. Avoid overpasses, bridges, power lines, signs and other hazards. Stay inside the vehicle until the shaking is over. If a power line falls on the car, stay inside until a trained person removes the wire.

"HEAD FOR THE DOORWAY."

An enduring earthquake image of California is a collapsed adobe home with the door frame as the only standing part. From this came our belief that a doorway is the safest place to be during an earthquake. True- if you live in an old, unreinforced adobe house. In modern houses, doorways are no stronger than any other part of the house. You are safer under a table.

In a stadium or theater: Stay at your seat and protect your head and neck with your arms. Don't try to leave until the shaking is over. Then walk out slowly watching for anything that could fall in the aftershocks.

Near the shore: Drop, cover and hold on until the shaking stops. Estimate how long the shaking lasts. If severe shaking lasts 20 seconds or more, immediately evacuate to high ground as a tsunami might have been generated by the earthquake. Move inland 3 kilometers (2 miles) or to land that is at least 30 meters (100 feet) above sea level immediately. Don't wait for officials to issue a warning. Walk quickly, rather than drive, to avoid traffic, debris and other hazards.

Below a dam: Dams can fail during a major earthquake. Catastrophic failure is unlikely, but if you live downstream from a dam, you should know flood-zone information and have prepared an evacuation plan.

cj's dad
11-06-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't know how big this earthquake was that just hit us here in Oklahoma, but that is some freaky shit!

You big sissy- wait ti' you have to live through a 7.2 and we"ll talk.

horses4courses
11-06-2011, 10:26 AM
San Francisco also had some quakes yesterday....biggest was 3.2.

BlueShoe
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
You big sissy- wait ti' you have to live through a 7.2 and we"ll talk.
Only 5.6? Out here in California that would be considered kid stuff. ;) Seriously though, the Midwest and East are not immune from earthquake threat, the West and California do not have a monopoly. In 1886 a huge quake hit Charleston, SC. In 1811-1812 a series of tremors termed the New Madrid quakes hit Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennesee. They were so immense that for a time they caused the Mississippi River to run backwards and changed its course. Many more minor quakes in other parts of the country.

witchdoctor
11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I was talking to a friend whose son was at the theater watching Paranormal Activity when the quake hit. His son just thought it was a special effect of the movie

BetHorses!
11-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Ya know, there was a tornado tonight already in OK and if there happens to be more aftershocks, its possible of a rare simultaenous earthquake and tornado..... :eek:

ElKabong
11-07-2011, 10:20 PM
at the time of the ok quake, i was 7 miles due west of Lsbets. Didn't feel a thing. I was running the dogs in a park, was on the cell calling socalfan, even the dogs didn't react (i thought animals were hypersensitive to this stuff)

Bettowin
11-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I was driving from OK to KS and didn't notice but friends in both locations felt it big time. The funny thing is people revert to what they know and many went to their basements for safety. What?