PDA

View Full Version : Pass Interference Penalties.

Zippy Chippy
11-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I hate Pass Interference penalties in College and Pro's. I wish there was some changes they could make. Seems like 25% of the time there is a long pass there is a Pass Interference call. Its such a game changer especially in the NFL with a spot foul. Sometimes obviously its warranted if the DBACK is all over the receiver, but too often I see horribly underthrown balls by the QB and the receiver has to stop on a dime and the Defensive player runs into him. In my opinion that should not be PI, the offense shouldn't be rewarded for a bad throw. Do you know how hard it must be to cover these receivers?

Canarsie
11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I hate Pass Interference penalties in College and Pro's. I wish there was some changes they could make. Seems like 25% of the time there is a long pass there is a Pass Interference call. Its such a game changer especially in the NFL with a spot foul. Sometimes obviously its warranted if the DBACK is all over the receiver, but too often I see horribly underthrown balls by the QB and the receiver has to stop on a dime and the Defensive player runs into him. In my opinion that should not be PI, the offense shouldn't be rewarded for a bad throw. Do you know how hard it must be to cover these receivers?

Anything over five seconds and you have an outstanding secondary. Actually it's even less depending on the QB.

I really don't have a favorite college team but usually find myself trying to make calls on PI when the ball is thrown and defended well. You have to remember I actually have the use of replay to see if I was right the official doesn't.

I have an idea but it's not a solution just food for thought. In the pros if your in front or parallel to the receiver the penalty becomes fifteen yards. If you faceguard or impede his progress from behind it becomes a spot foul. Just an idea they would need people much smarter than me to figure it out.

Zippy Chippy
11-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I know it would never happen, but id like to see on discretion there be pass interference penalties that aren't automatic first downs. Like 3rd and 25 and a 10 yard out is thrown. I hate that its automatic 1st down even if there was no chance a first down could have been made on the play.

cj
11-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I know it would never happen, but id like to see on discretion there be pass interference penalties that aren't automatic first downs. Like 3rd and 25 and a 10 yard out is thrown. I hate that its automatic 1st down even if there was no chance a first down could have been made on the play.

Any D-back dumb enough to get that call made deserves the other team to have a first down. Why would you be tight on a guy that is 15 yards short?

Canarsie
11-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Any D-back dumb enough to get that call made deserves the other team to have a first down. Why would you be tight on a guy that is 15 yards short?

Agree 100% because they will probably be 10 yards off the ball when it's snapped. Any defense that gives up a first down in that situation is endangering their coordinators job security.

Marshall Bennett
11-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Ignorance exist in all occupations. In my opinion, d-back is the most difficult position to play in football. They're probably criticized more than anyone except perhaps q-backs. Having two really good corners on a defense is rare, probably because there are few in the entire league.

Canarsie
11-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Ignorance exist in all occupations. In my opinion, d-back is the most difficult position to play in football. They're probably criticized more than anyone except perhaps q-backs. Having two really good corners on a defense is rare, probably because there are few in the entire league.

If you have one corner who can provide man coverage the other wideout can be double teamed or released to the safety after a certain amount of yards. It would depend of the defensive schematic. They could even rush 3 if they chose to.

A holding penalty on that type of situation will make for a very short career in the NFL if the person keeps on doing it.