PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Cables

bigmack
11-01-2011, 04:58 PM
They vary in price. Tests show they're all pretty much the same.

I needed a 25'er. I laughed when I ordered it. $5 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Link-Depot-HDMI-Cable-feet/dp/B000IJY8DS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320181007&sr=8-6

Dave Schwartz
11-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Good call, Mack.

Cables are amazingly different in price.

For years I would buy a 6-foot USB cable for $3, or a 15-footer for $5. Meanwhile, Best Buy had the 15-footer at $54.

It has gotten better but still crazy.

cj
11-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I've never figured out the ridiculous prices on HDMI cables in retail stores either. I've bought probably 20 of them through Newegg at very low prices, and one had a poor connection and didn't last. The others are all fine.

wilderness
11-01-2011, 05:16 PM
There's is also a wide difference in quality of the cables as related to price, and the ability of the cable to suppress interference (as well as cause). Not to mention longevity.

If you need a cable that long (25-ft), I'd certainly consider a higher quality.

redshift1
11-01-2011, 05:20 PM
They vary in price. Tests show they're all pretty much the same.

I needed a 25'er. I laughed when I ordered it. $5 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Link-Depot-HDMI-Cable-feet/dp/B000IJY8DS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320181007&sr=8-6

I've replaced a couple of bad HDMI cables, probably the only media cables I've ever replaced very annoying when running cables through walls.

bigmack
11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
There's is also a wide difference in quality of the cables as related to price, and the ability of the cable to suppress interference (as well as cause). Not to mention longevity.

Your position might be supported in analog (and even then, highly debatable) but not for digital.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/WhyallHDMIcablesarethesame-Crave-CNET.png
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

Dave Schwartz
11-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Dang, just when I was going to corner the market on HDMI cables for selling on PA.

Canarsie
11-01-2011, 06:27 PM

I agree with Mack there is no need to spend any more than $5 and here's a PC labs article to prove it. It's less than 6 months old I'm pretty sure things haven't changed drastically since then.

Can you show me some of your test results otherwise I'll believe these.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385272,00.asp#fbid=5l01rhGcRvE

You said the same thing about buying memory from the original PC manufacturer and not a third party like Crucial or others which gives you a longer warranty. To spend an additional $60-$100 from a company like Dell or HP is financial suicide.

Canarsie
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I saw Macks post after getting all the info for mine and posted. Double barrel attack :lol:

JustRalph
11-01-2011, 08:30 PM
www.firefold.com.

For cables

wilderness
11-01-2011, 09:05 PM
You said the same thing about buying memory from the original PC manufacturer and not a third party like Crucial or others which gives you a longer warranty. To spend an additional $60-$100 from a company like Dell or HP is financial suicide.

Your mistaken and have me confused with somebody else.

wilderness
11-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Can you show me some of your test results otherwise I'll believe these.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385272,00.asp#fbid=5l01rhGcRvE

Perhaps your dictionary was in the other room, or your translator was on vacation.

From the link you provided?

That said, there are cases where higher quality cables and going to lengths to maintain signal quality are important. They just aren't cases that apply for most HDTV owners. If you're going to run an HDMI cable for lengths longer than 10 feet, you should be concerned about insulation to protect against signal degradation. It's not an issue for 6-foot lengths of cable, but as the distance between media device and display increases, signal quality decreases and the more susceptible the signal becomes to magnetic interference. In fact, for distances of over 30 feet, the HDMI licensing board recommends either using a signal amplifier or considering an alternate solution, like an HDMI-over-Ethernet converter. When you're running up against the maximum length, the greater insulation and build quality of more expensive cables can potentially improve the stability of your signal. However, if there's a 30-foot gap between your Blu-ray player and your HDTV, you might want to rearrange some furniture. Or just use a technology designed for long distances.

Canarsie
11-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Your mistaken and have me confused with somebody else.

Oh really? You do say so? While were at it will you please answer my question about the Northville exacta which you conveniently have ducked since asked. I apologized to you at least five times that a "misquote" was made about the drivers but NOT A PEEP from YOU.

Here is your reply I'm not CONFUSED!!! Since I proved you wrong I will now use the word "confused" to any of "your" posts I "deem" appropriate.

memory is really cheap these days, as compared to the overall cost of computer and monitor (as well as other accessories).

Spending an extra $100 for having supplemental memory installed by whomever you purchase the computer (there are generally no labor costs because of the overall purchase) from, will reward you in leaps and bounds. These and other things are generally listed under "options" of your potential purchase.

Btw the article said potentially. So one should listen to you and spend an exorbitant amount of money around $100 instead of spending $5 first? Surely you can attempt to be better than that. Even if my article was wrong (it isn't) how come you didn't answer Bigmack or others? Where is the WIDE difference as you stated?

One more thing is that installing your own memory from a third party and saving $50 and up WILL REWARD YOU IN LEAPS AND BOUNDS!!!

wilderness
11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
memory is really cheap these days, as compared to the overall cost of computer and monitor (as well as other accessories).

Spending an extra $100 for having supplemental memory installed by whomever you purchase the computer (there are generally no labor costs because of the overall purchase) from, will reward you in leaps and bounds. These and other things are generally listed under "options" of your potential purchase.

The above is correct, however the reply was part of a thread where somebody was considering the purchase of a new computer.

For you to translate that into the below and apply it to every instance of memory purchase is a distortion.

When purchasing a NEW computer, it remains good advice to add more memory than comes with the off-the-shelf-packages.

pandy
11-03-2011, 07:57 PM
www.monoprice.com has good cables of all types and low prices.

bigmack
12-21-2011, 08:31 PM
New Nikon cam needed a mini-HDMI. Get a laugh every time I order another cable.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/Amazoncom-GoldPlatedHDMItoHDMIMinicable2M-656FT-Electronics.png