PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Rail - what a boondoggle

ArlJim78
11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok lets see.

In 2008 they sell a high speed rail program to Californians putting the cost at $33 billion and 12 years to complete.

Obama throws $3.5 Billion in stimulus money at the project earlier this year, when the total costs were projected to be $43 billion.

Well shazaam! they just released the final plan (http://www.mercurynews.com/california-high-speed-rail/ci_19236454)and the cost has now jumped to $100 billion and it won't be completed until 2033.:eek:

No problem right, just a little more borrowing that's all.

What do you suppose the odds are of this thing getting the funding?
If it does, what will the final cost and completion date be?

Faster than a speeding bullet train, the cost of the state's massive high-speed rail project has zoomed to nearly $100 billion -- triple the estimate given to voters and more than enough to run the entire state government for a year.

What's more, bullet trains won't be up and running until at least 2033, much later than the original estimate of 2020, although that depends on the state finding the remaining 90 percent of the funds needed to complete the plan.

The new figures come from a final business plan to be unveiled by the California High-Speed Rail Authority on Tuesday, though some of the details were leaked to the media, including this newspaper, on Monday. Officials at the rail authority did not respond to repeated requests for comment Monday.

Tom
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
pc9PPy0jzc8

TJDave
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I hope they make it wheelchair accessible cause that's the only way I'll get to ride.

They'll also need to duplicate all the signage in English...You know, for the minorities. :rolleyes:

DJofSD
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Can some please cue up Ozzie's "Crazy Train?"

toetoe
11-01-2011, 05:13 PM
The following may shed light upon the typical leftist's attitude.

My colleague at work believes we deserve a choice. That sounds magnanimous at first, coming from a lefty who by definition believes in little or no choice for anyone not bent on feticide. She thinks we're all going to pop in frustration if we don't get an alternative to automobiles. She says the tracks are in place, and people are dying to come from Southern California to Las Vegas, but for some reason they feel unable with only cars, busses and airplanes available.

The predictable fawning over European and Japanese high-speed rail comes next in my friend's argument. When I ask who pays for these systems in Europe and Japan, she assures me that they are privately owned and profitable. I show skepticism, and she tells me to do research (!).

This gets to the nub of the Southpaw Manifest Destiny. They know what's best for us. The proof ? Well, the rest of the world likes it, and if I drag my feet when presented with the plans for 'progress', I must do research and prove the would-could-shoulda won't, can't and shant; id est, I must defend the status quo and effectively disprove a negative. That is really what the drastic plans of the paradigm subverters amount to. If we don't act now, things will get even worse. How low must we go before we decide they can't get worse ?

Tom
11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
I hope they make it wheelchair accessible cause that's the only way I'll get to ride.

:lol: That made my morning!

delayjf
11-02-2011, 09:44 AM
The predictable fawning over European and Japanese high-speed rail comes next in my friend's argument. When I ask who pays for these systems in Europe and Japan, she assures me that they are privately owned and profitable. I show skepticism, and she tells me to do research (!).

BS - The French Gov subsidizes their rail system big time. If someone can't afford to drive to Vegas - they probably should not go. The price has tripled in two years - what's are the chances it will go up in price again?

rastajenk
11-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Whatever the overrun is, and however long it takes, it will happen "unexpectedly." :rolleyes:

toetoe
11-02-2011, 04:26 PM
BS - The French Gov subsidizes their rail system big time.

That's what I figured.

Transportation is already subsidized here, too, including automobile travel. However, at least drivers pay up front for a chunk of it (taxes on gasoline, e.g.).

The last gasp of the argument is the creation of jobs. Well, let's just pay the unions a couple of million per year for several years, and call it even. It'll be like a sexual harassment nuisance complaint settlement/severance package (pardon the term ... :blush: ).

HUSKER55
11-02-2011, 05:25 PM
IF RAIL IS SO POPULAR THEN WHY ISN'T BURLINGTON NORTHERN DOING IT? (or any other rail road company)

who is their right mind needs a train that goes that fast anyway?

Can you imaagine the disaster if it were to derail. And you know it will,...by fair means or foul.

Tom
11-02-2011, 06:06 PM
3MLp7YNTznE

Robert Goren
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
BS - The French Gov subsidizes their rail system big time. If someone can't afford to drive to Vegas - they probably should not go. The price has tripled in two years - what's are the chances it will go up in price again? And who pays the roads that you are driving on.

Tom
11-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Local taxpayers. Roads are not private sector.

delayjf
11-03-2011, 12:15 AM
And who pays the roads that you are driving on.

Not the point - it is simply too expensive and the state is broke.

HUSKER55
11-03-2011, 01:55 PM
if the railroads can't make a profit hauling people, then why is government getting involved?

How secure do you feel with government running anything?

Government needs to stay out of businesss. period.