PDA

View Full Version : Tessitore: Compelling Content is the Key

toussaud
11-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I thought this was an interesting article

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/65923/tessitore-compelling-content-is-the-key

“Tracks should get out of their sheltered world,” Tessitore said. “The reality of the economic model is that they worry about their (pari-mutuel) handle. The sport is filled with small independent nations that only care about their own bottom line.

“The sport should reach out to the masses like the NFL, college football, and NBA do. The sport barely knows the sports media beyond its world, and that is harmful to the long-term health and welfare of the game.”

rastajenk
11-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Without any specifics, it's easy for him to say.

ManU918
11-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Tessitore is one of my favorite broadcasters. I don't know why ESPN doesn't move him from what is most of the time horrible Friday night college games. He should be moved to a Saturday afternoon slot. As far as what he says about horse racing... I don't think he could be more right. Look forward to watching his coverage this week at the BC.

Charli125
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Without any specifics, it's easy for him to say.

Yeah, it's easy to say, but it's also very true.

Pretty indicative of our sport that an announcer says something that track management should be saying. He's very right that each entity is looking out for their bottom line but he should go a step further. Each entity is looking out for their short-term bottom line. Just look at CA and TX to see two examples of short-term decisions based on incorrect assumptions which are destroying both the short-term and long-term of the industry.