PDA

View Full Version : Are you a paper shuffler?

pondman
11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I was sitting for 1 1/2 hours on Sunday waiting to play $200 on a horse in the 7th at Golden Gate. It was routine play for me. I saw it on the prior Wednesday when the drf was published. I checked the house handicapper, checked the morning line-- 15-1.

As I sat there waiting I notice how much noise was being created by paper shuffling with 2 minutes to go. There was a guy with a stack of papers. Another guy with a dozen computer printouts. I didn't say a word to anyone until a guy jump out of his seat and said," I've got it."

I turned around and said, "What do you like?" He was going to box the favorites with three other horses. I don't bring a form with me. I usually have the card memorized, but I said, "There are 2 horses coming in from Southern California onto the turf. They are coming in because the grass makes it easy for them. It's a cheap claimer with 2 shippers in it, so I'm not betting it, but you better protect yourself from these 2." He had left them out. I heard a bunch of shuffling from around me with 3 minutes to go. My true thought were do these people know anything about horse racing. One of the S Cal horses won, granit girl at 6-1. The guy made some money and bought me a beer.

My horse lost in the 7th. I was out $200 for the day. It just didn't want to split horses.

My inlaw had a horse in the 9th at Santa Anita. So I had to sit through the paper shuffling in the 9th at Golden Gate waiting for that. The same guy jumps up again and yells," Baze will win this at 4/5. I turned again and said, "Be carefull, it's a shipper, which probably got on the truck 3 days ago (no works on the track), it still a little high, and it's had to many races to be running in this basement maiden claimer."

Again my thoughts were did these people know much about racing? Do they ever take any notes, have any data, or record their wins and loses?

There was a lot of paper shuffling taking place on Sunday with 3 minutes to go. I hope you don't do this with 3 minutes to go.

toetoe
11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
This back-and-forth is great, but how few are the bettors that want someone else's opinion.

If I had somebody reminding me how cursory my handicapping is, my total bets would decrease, and so would my losses. :jump:

Maybe the guys are just craving action ?