PDA

View Full Version : Mike Helm's Sire Ratings

so.cal.fan
12-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Anyone know if the 2003-2004 issue will be out this spring?

BillW
12-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Anyone know if the 2003-2004 issue will be out this spring?

You should call the Gamblers book shop, they show a picture of the 2003-2004 edition on their site now. As bad as they are with site maintenance, it's hard to tell if they have it available or not (the text talks about the 2001 edition. ) :rolleyes:

http://www.gamblersbook.com/cgi/shop/cashcart.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=545105.htm&ORDER_ID=209623470

Bill

so.cal.fan
12-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Thanks, Bill
I sent them an email, asking.

Zaf
12-01-2003, 04:00 PM
So.Cal.

Do you find these ratings useful for Firsters , Stretch-Outs, Turf, Mud etc. ? Would you recommend them ?

ZAFONIC

LOU M.
12-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Mike Helm
City Miner Books
707-964-8666
Fort Bragg, CA

I have used them for a few years now. His $99.00 all inclusive package has always more than paid for itself.

so.cal.fan
12-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Zaf,
I like them for all the reasons you mention. I mostly use them for distance potential. He also gives you an idea of certain sires that do best as their horses get older or not. This is interesting and I have found it useful.
I haven't used the book in a couple of years, so I hope it hasn't changed.
He used to classify the sire for you, as in A B C D F. This was also useful to me.

Also, I understand from a friend of mine who uses the usually excellent Bris information on sires that they are missing several California sires, so he is also getting a copy of Mike's book.

so.cal.fan
12-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Bill W.
I just got a reply back from Gambler's Book Club. They have the 03-04 book in, but only have one copy.
I just got the email, and I already bought the same book via amazon.com earlier today.
The lady said they hadn't had a chance to change the website ad, but thanked me (actually, you) for calling it to their attention.

so.cal.fan
12-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Recieved this book last week, and I am really happy I got it.
It works much better for me than the Tomillson ratings in the DRF.
The Tomillson's are okay, but this Helm book gives you a bit more insight into breeding.
I always did well with his information, but stopped buying the book a few years ago, because I thought the Tomillson ratings would be just as good......they were not.

BillW
12-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Recieved this book last week, and I am really happy I got it.
It works much better for me than the Tomillson ratings in the DRF.
The Tomillson's are okay, but this Helm book gives you a bit more insight into breeding.
I always did well with his information, but stopped buying the book a few years ago, because I thought the Tomillson ratings would be just as good......they were not.

So. Cal.,

Just the fact that they are published in the DRF weakens them as everybody has the same info.
I'll have to get my order in (Merry Xmas to me :cool: )

Bill

so.cal.fan
12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Bill,
I think you'll like the book.
Hey, pick some good ones down there at Shammy!
;)