PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Cigs and Playing Horses

how cliche
10-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm on day 36. I'm 42 and smoked since I was 16. 26 years. Cold turkey. I had to. Family hated it, but I really stopped because I was having heart palpatations the doc told me were cig related. Painful. Scary. Becoming a workout fiend since. Helps counterract my insatiable appetite for potato chips and peanuts.

The grumpiness is finally subsiding. The closest way I can describe it is for weeks my skull seemed like it was too small for my brain and my entire perspective went from color to black and white. I have one of those pressure jobs where deadlines are given to me out of the blue. When those begin to look manageable, out of nowhere more are assigned. Cigs used to take the edge off. Now I scream and curse into a foam pad. Can't let upper brass hear me. Used to just get irritated but never sensed I was inches away from violence like recently. On day 21, I finally didn't emote into the pad and didn't want to murder. Big step.

Couldn't gamble until today. I associate the joy of gaming too much with cigs. Today I'm considering playing a horse I like at my home track. After that I'm thinking of going to the card room for a 5 hour session. Big test. My questions to you are: Too soon? How should I approach the day? Is it too big a test for a single day to overcome 26 years of conditioned response?

God give me strength.

lamboguy
10-29-2011, 12:32 PM
i am certainly glad that you gave up cigarettes, i would tell you to make the next step but its better to take things one step at a time

welcome to the horseracing world. it has been a part of my whole life so far, and i hope i die in a winner's circle somewhere.

lots of luck

Canarsie
10-29-2011, 12:50 PM
I used to smoke up to three packs of Lucky Strikes a day before I quit. Was such a fanatic an army friend taught me they tasted better if you put them in oven at low heat for 10 minutes or so. Would do that religiously and also pack them down.

My mom (msrip) was dying of cancer almost 30 years ago and asked me to quit. I gave her my word that I would try hard and haven't had a cigarette since I stopped. My weight was 165 back then and it ballooned to 190 and went from a size 32 waist to 34. It's good you are exercising that's a huge plus.

I would say after 90 days you are on your way to the finish line. In previous tries I always went back before then mainly because of peer pressure smoking was considered acceptable or tolerable back then.

Good luck to you don't give up the fight.

Cholly
10-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Too much too soon? Sounds like it to me, but...

What worked for me was to realize that I am not my body; the body is the shell over me and a separate entity...a close friend that gets me around, and works damn hard to do it on my behalf. Then I understood that when I smoked, I wasn't hurting myself--I was screwing over my closest friend.

Cliche, you're an all-in or all-out kind of guy...so don't even think for a sec you might have the occasional smoke to compliment the gambling.

Good luck.

fmolf
10-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Too much too soon? Sounds like it to me, but...

What worked for me was to realize that I am not my body; the body is the shell over me and a separate entity...a close friend that gets me around, and works damn hard to do it on my behalf. Then I understood that when I smoked, I wasn't hurting myself--I was screwing over my closest friend.

Cliche, you're an all-in or all-out kind of guy...so don't even think for a sec you might have the occasional smoke to compliment the gambling.

Good luck.
i also quit smoking at age 32... although after smoking 2 + packs for 16 yrs, I was able to do the things associated with smoking thru chewing sunflower seeds.I spit them into a cup when in my car and at home.I did this for about 6 mos.I had to use the lightly salted ones.....at 48 yrs of age i quit drinking which was harder!I had to quit golfing and quit playing on a hockey team i had been on for 20yrs their was so much drinking history and fun with those guys ,but the drinking was slowly taking over me!I drank everyday of my life.....I know you can do it..... try the seeds when your at the track and at the table, just get a large plastic cup to spit the seeds into!...p.s.....i started golfing the following season,game got better since i stopped drinking! :D

how cliche
10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies folks. Gonna take your advice and pass on the gaming today. I was already telling myself it'd be ok to have just one prior to my race and another couple when on break at the room. But, you're right. I'm either all in or I'm all out. Can't sneak one from time to time.

Plenty of other stuff to do today that won't make me crave. However, the cup is next weekend and the law says you gotta play. Any other suggestions besides sunflower seeds? I was thinking possibly chewing gum. I dunno.

BlueShoe
10-29-2011, 04:59 PM
After 36 days the worst is over, but just one more suggestion; no drinking until the tobacco urges are completely gone, not even one beer. If you are out, after a few drinks you will find yourself at the cigarette machine stuffing money into it. This was my downfall on earlier failed attempts to quit, am speaking from experience. When finally kicking the habit, went on the wagon at the same time, and it finally worked.

fmolf
10-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies folks. Gonna take your advice and pass on the gaming today. I was already telling myself it'd be ok to have just one prior to my race and another couple when on break at the room. But, you're right. I'm either all in or I'm all out. Can't sneak one from time to time.

Plenty of other stuff to do today that won't make me crave. However, the cup is next weekend and the law says you gotta play. Any other suggestions besides sunflower seeds? I was thinking possibly chewing gum. I dunno.
the seeds keep the mouth busy and the hands busy because you need to take the bag out of your pocket and dump some in your mouth....the chewing and the spitting helps keep the mouth occupied....I kept telling myself after many failed attempts...."I made it one day do not let that day go for naught"...and i just took it day by day.At day 36 its all mental....you can do it.....Handicappers and horseplayers are mentally tough to begin with!...You can do it!!

Hanover1
10-29-2011, 07:01 PM
It is entirely mental after 72hrs according to drug withdraw issues. I drew great inner strenght after quitting abruptly myself. Found newfound energy and a sense of accomplishment as big as any horseracing victory. Just do it.....do not accept excuses from yourself, and I found that I never changed my behaviors because I was afraid I would relapse. Its admitting to a weakness that you should have convinced yourself you will overcome. Go play the cards, bet the horses, and after the day, you are clean, then its game, set, match...you have won.....

raybo
10-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Get very familiar with the word "NO". Say it over and over, in your mind, whenever smoking a cig sounds like a good idea. Saying "No" repeatedly alters your brain's focus and helps you move your thoughts to another subject.

Dave Schwartz
10-30-2011, 11:31 AM
In 1988 I had a friend who had been a long time smoker. He announced that he was flying to LA to visit a Beverly Hills doctor and what get a series of 3 anti-smoking shots.

These shots were designed to make the body not crave nicotine; to completely break the cigarette habit instantly.

He told me that (at that time) the shots were $500 each ($1,500 total) and that if he smoked a single cigarette the entire process would have to be repeated. He also said it was the greatest high he ever had.

Shortly after he moved to Las Vegas and I didn't speak to him again until around 2005. I ask ed him if he was still smoke-free and he said he had not wanted a cigarette since the shots.

I understand that these shots are readily available across the country now.

Dave

PhantomOnTour
10-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Sadly i haven't kicked the habit...mother quit, two of my best friends have quit, but not me.
My pals that have kicked the habit say you have to win those 3 minute battles with yourself when you crave a smoke. Get past that initial urge and you're good, until the next urge.

I smoke habitually:
-after a meal
-after the dinner rush (i own/manage a restaurant) with a glass of wine
-when the horses are loading for a race and i have a big wager on the line
-at halftime of football games

I don't smoke that much, but still, i smoke...a pack will last me about 2-3 days (except on Saturdays when i encounter all of the above habitual scenarios).
Started at age 24 or so and have tried to quit at 30, 35 and 40.
I am 42 now and still tryin'....
but dammit man, the Steelers play the Pats today!
And don't get me started on next wknd when we have Breeders Cup, Steelers v Ravens, and LSU v Alabama....good Lord.

ten2oneormore
10-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Any other suggestions besides sunflower seeds? I was thinking possibly chewing gum. I dunno.

Anything that takes the place of a cig in mouth like gum,jolly ranchers,seeds,etc...Also when you are feeling like you want a smoke take some really deep breaths.It calms you down instead of reacting to the impulse and grabbing a smoke.

Lasix67
10-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Sadly i haven't kicked the habit...mother quit, two of my best friends have quit, but not me.
My pals that have kicked the habit say you have to win those 3 minute battles with yourself when you crave a smoke. Get past that initial urge and you're good, until the next urge.

I smoke habitually:
-after a meal
-after the dinner rush (i own/manage a restaurant) with a glass of wine
-when the horses are loading for a race and i have a big wager on the line
-at halftime of football games

I don't smoke that much, but still, i smoke...a pack will last me about 2-3 days (except on Saturdays when i encounter all of the above habitual scenarios).
Started at age 24 or so and have tried to quit at 30, 35 and 40.
I am 42 now and still tryin'....
but dammit man, the Steelers play the Pats today!
And don't get me started on next wknd when we have Breeders Cup, Steelers v Ravens, and LSU v Alabama....good Lord.

Dear God you hit it on the nail. I smoke cigars, drink, gamble, those are my vices and next week I have the Breeders Cup Friday and Saturday and I am a huge LSU fan so LSU vs Alabama that night followed by Tampa at New Orleans on Sunday. One of the Biggest weekends of sports on the calendar. I need my vices :cool:

jeebus1083
10-30-2011, 05:55 PM
I was an on/off smoker from the age of 17 right up until August of last year, right before I got married. At the track, I was notorious for going through almost a pack. If I was traveling downstate, I would easily go through 1 pack and start a 2nd.

Finally, I said enough was enough. That, and my wife is a non-smoker, and finds it disgusting.

I have not smoked a cigarette in over 14 months, and am proud to have gone an entire Saratoga season without smoking one cigarette.

Beachbabe
10-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Buy a box of Nicorette lozenges (2mg). Take one when the urge is really strong. It takes that edge off. Some people suggested candy, but that and the snacks that you take to take the place of the cigs is what puts the weight on.

If you do succomb to the temptation, don't beat yourself up about it. Remeber how good you felt when you weren't smoking and try again.

One thing I do know.....you can't cut back and tell yourself you'll just smoke one after breakfast; one after dinner; etc. You'll be back to "full-time" in no time.

Best of luck !!