PDA

View Full Version : And They're Off...

FantasticDan
10-17-2011, 12:18 PM
A "mockumentary".. trailer at the link:

And They're Off (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1644503/)

Martin Mull sighting! So it can't be all bad.. ;) :ThmbUp:

ldiatone
10-17-2011, 01:00 PM
ill watch it. was that baffert in that one scene??

showbet
10-17-2011, 01:21 PM
was that baffert in that one scene??
Yes, and he has a credit on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044736/).

BombsAway Bob
10-17-2011, 05:04 PM
A "mockumentary".. trailer at the link:

And They're Off (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1644503/)

Martin Mull sighting! So it can't be all bad.. ;) :ThmbUp:
Thanks, just tweeted the link.. TVG been showing 15sec. teasers.

Greyfox
10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Is "And they're off" all about geldings? :rolleyes:

FantasticDan
10-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Bloodhorse article:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/65755/horse-owner-pens-movie-and-theyre-off

bigmack
10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Looks painful. One mildly entertaining line in the entire trailer.

"I look like a jocksicle."

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/AndTheyreOfftrailersandvideoclipsonYahooMovies.png

Traileroo: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810203726/video

Edward DeVere
10-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Eager to see it.

But not as eager as I am to see "Anonymous", also debuting this Friday. It's the story of a man named . . . Edward De Vere . . . whom I pay homage to with my nom de plume on this board.

Of course, he had his own nom de plume. . . .

PaceAdvantage
10-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Looks painful.I agree. And it has a decent cast, which makes the painful part even more perplexing.

strapper
10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Let me know if the movie starring Sean Astin is worth going to see. It says it starts today in "select cities" ....probably won't be showing here anytime soon.

elhelmete
10-28-2011, 01:05 PM
New York/New Jersey
AMC EMPIRE 25
234 W 42nd St
New York NY 10036

GALLERIA METROPLEX 16
1 N Galleria Dr
Middleton NY 10941

PALISADES 21
4403 Palisades Center Dr
West Nyack NY 10994

JERSEY GARDENS 20
651 Kapkowski Rd
Elizabeth NJ 07201

Los Angeles/Orange County
AMC SANTA ANITA 16
400 S Baldwin Ave
Arcadia CA 91007

AMC THE BLOCK 30
2 City Blvd West
Orange, CA 92868

AMC COVINA 30
1414 N. Azuza Ave.
Covina, CA 91722

AMC ONTARIO MILLS 30
4549 Mills Circle
Ontario, CA 91764

Kentucky
CINEMARK FAYETVILLE MALL 16
3800 Mall Rd
Lexington KY 40503

CINEMARK TINSELTOWN 19
4400 Town Center Dr
Louisville KY 40241

v j stauffer
10-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I saw it last summer. Racing fans will love it. Certainly enough to identify with. Non racing fans have a chance to think it's cool too because it's actually very clever in a sardonic way. Kevin Nealon is funny. I'd pay to watch Martin Mull read the phone book. That guy has always cracked me up. I would for sure check it out if you have a chance.

Zippy Chippy
10-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately I think most of us will have to wait for DVD on this one.

dogkatcher
10-29-2011, 12:11 AM
So disappointing, would have asked for a refund
if that was possible. Good cast, but apparently
I'm not much of a Realty Show fan. Rental fee
may even be way too high. Just my opinion, I
may have missed something while sleeping though.

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 12:54 AM
So disappointing, would have asked for a refund
if that was possible. Good cast, but apparently
I'm not much of a Realty Show fan. Rental fee
may even be way too high. Just my opinion, I
may have missed something while sleeping though.

Negative. Shocker!!!:bang: :bang: :bang:

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-and-theyre-off-20111029,0,2096060.story

badcompany
10-29-2011, 01:03 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-and-theyre-off-20111029,0,2096060.story

By Gary Goldstein, Special thanks to the Los Angeles Times October 29, 2011

The creative and marketing team behind the horse-racing mockumentary "And They're Off..." may have shot themselves in the, er, hoof by keeping this diamond in the rough away from reviewers.

Usually films that are kept away from reviewers are so bad that the filmmaker would rather unleash it on the unsuspecting public than have it first savaged by reviewers.

What does it say about a movie when the team behind it doesn't want to stand behind their product?

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
By Gary Goldstein, Special thanks to the Los Angeles Times October 29, 2011

The creative and marketing team behind the horse-racing mockumentary "And They're Off..." may have shot themselves in the, er, hoof by keeping this diamond in the rough away from reviewers.

Usually films that are kept away from reviewers are so bad that the filmmaker would rather unleash it on the unsuspecting public than have it first savaged by reviewers.

What does it say about a movie when the team behind it doesn't want to stand behind their product?

A new league record. Shocker. Finding the only negative things to say about a glowingly positive review. Where's an ice pick to plunge into my eye when I need one. OMG youpeople NEVER NEVER NEVER let up. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

bigmack
10-29-2011, 02:44 PM
OMG youpeople NEVER NEVER NEVER let up.
Why are you INSISTING people find it amusing? It looks inane.

How much more should we 'dumb down' to laugh at subpar material?

If you liked it, all the power to ya. If others don't, so be it.

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Why are you INSISTING people find it amusing? It looks inane.

How much more should we 'dumb down' to laugh at subpar material?

If you liked it, all the power to ya. If others don't, so be it.

I'm not insisting anything. Just rooting for positive things to happen for horse racing. Inane and subpar? How the heck can you say that without seeing the movie? Don't feel bad. Just stay at that terminal and blindly knock. You fit right in. The rest of us will continue to try to promote and rejoice in our great sport.

johnhannibalsmith
10-29-2011, 03:00 PM
A new league record. Shocker. Finding the only negative things to say about a glowingly positive review. Where's an ice pick to plunge into my eye when I need one. OMG youpeople NEVER NEVER NEVER let up. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

From the guy who blasted Craig Braddick about posting in his own thread for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 03:07 PM
From the guy who blasted Craig Braddick about posting in his own thread for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Criag is the man. We're simpatico. I was still a little miffed about the Durkin thread. I've moved on. You might wanna try that too. Or a least stay negative on topic. :bang:

bigmack
10-29-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm not insisting anything. Just rooting for positive things to happen for horse racing. Inane and subpar? How the heck can you say that without seeing the movie? Don't feel bad. Just stay at that terminal and blindly knock. You fit right in. The rest of us will continue to try to promote and rejoice in our great sport.
So in Staufferville, ANY medium producing ANYTHING about 'our great sport' is unworthy of criticism?

It was clearly shot on video. The director is known for sitcoms like The King of Queens.

While I respect Marty Mull, ALL of the actors would accept a bit part in virtually anything thrown their way given the limited amount of work they're offered.

Finally, if you think a PoS video like this is going to have ANY effect in promoting and/or 'rejoicing' :eek: in this sport, you are delusional.

johnhannibalsmith
10-29-2011, 03:22 PM
...I've moved on. You might wanna try that too. Or a least stay negative on topic. :bang:

Thanks for the advice.

:lol:

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 03:34 PM
So in Staufferville, ANY medium producing ANYTHING about 'our great sport' is unworthy of criticism?

It was clearly shot on video. The director is known for sitcoms like The King of Queens.

While I respect Marty Mull, ALL of the actors would accept a bit part in virtually anything thrown their way given the limited amount of work they're offered.

Finally, if you think a PoS video like this is going to have ANY effect in promoting and/or 'rejoicing' :eek: in this sport, you are delusional.

Right now it looks like it has a chance to be alot more than a POS video. Opened yesterday in over a dozen real theatres and got a great review by the LA Times. You're right THE KING OF QUEENS never accomplished anything. Of course criticism is good. Just seems like there's an underbelly that exsists only on these forums that runs 98% negative on all subjects. I don't think it's a representation of REAL and active racing fans.

cj
10-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Vic, can I assume you have a connection to this film other than being a racing fan?

I'll see the movie if it shows here. If it sucks, so what? I'm sure I've seen worse.

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Vic, can I assume you have a connection to this film other than being a racing fan?

I'll see the movie if it shows here. If it sucks, so what? I'm sure I've seen worse.

I do have a connection. I'm in the movie. However, I promise I would have the same takes if not involved. Love that you're gonna give it a try. Looking forward to a full report.

bigmack
10-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Plain silly to debate the merits or lack thereof of this soon to be forgotten effort.

Best pin more hope on Luck. Now that series will flip some posers to the game come '12. http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true&vid=1208460&filter=luck&view=null

usedtolovetvg
10-29-2011, 04:53 PM
I saw it. It sucked for me. No chance of getting anyone new to the sport.

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 05:08 PM
At least you saw it before judging. That's all anyone can ask. Wish you had liked it. Thanks for the update.

usedtolovetvg
10-29-2011, 05:21 PM
A very tough genre, documentary. Add to the mix that it has to be funny. A very ambitious undertaking for a first time filmmaker. They would have been better suited with a Chris Guest or Rob Reiner (in his prime).

v j stauffer
10-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Did you get a chance to see it?

dogkatcher
10-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Vic, I love ya, but this is one photo you called wrong.
I was so looking forward to it's release.

badcompany
10-30-2011, 01:09 AM

Yes, I was so down on the movie that in the week leading up to its release, I regularly checked Fandango to see where it would be showing in my area.

So venomous was my hatred for the film that when I went to Rotten Tomatoes to see if there were any advance reviews, and found none, I gave the movie the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was because of the film's limited release.

Now, after seeing that Godawful trailer, reading the reviews of PA members, and knowing that the movie was withheld from critics, I'll save my money.

Thanks for the heads up.

v j stauffer
10-30-2011, 01:29 AM
What about the review from the film critic of the Los Angeles Times?

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2011, 03:19 AM
What about the review from the film critic of the Los Angeles Times?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-and-theyre-off-20111029,0,2096060.story Was he in the movie too?

bigmack
10-30-2011, 04:14 AM
Was he in the movie too?
Look at that beautiful line. :ThmbUp:

Couple o' clever cats around this joint could write a screenplay better than that rubbish in an afternoon.

v j stauffer
10-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Was he in the movie too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJaNSXlYuQ

PA got those goggles from Frankie Dettori.

usedtolovetvg
10-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry V J, you now have officially become part of the racing establishment. Those of us who have an opinion are supposed to put on the blinkers and tongue tie and blindly support any and all juvenile attempts to promote the sport, can you say Late DD? Those of us that refuse to kowtow to these childish acts are vilified by The Man. Trust us when we say we care about the sport and that this, like so many other dumb and ill-conceived attempts to market the sport, is another failure. Horse players must be open-minded and this is another loser. Tear up your tickets and move on.

v j stauffer
10-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Sorry V J, you now have officially become part of the racing establishment. Those of us who have an opinion are supposed to put on the blinkers and tongue tie and blindly support any and all juvenile attempts to promote the sport, can you say Late DD? Those of us that refuse to kowtow to these childish acts are vilified by The Man. Trust us when we say we care about the sport and that this, like so many other dumb and ill-conceived attempts to market the sport, is another failure. Horse players must be open-minded and this is another loser. Tear up your tickets and move on.

Of course I'm a member of the racing establishment. It's put food on my table and paid my mortgage for 35 years. All I ever asked about this movie was to see it before judging and knocking.

usedtolovetvg
10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I agree. Check my first post in this thread. It was an embarrassment to all involved. I always have known you as being the kind of guy who called 'em as they see 'em. Perhaps you were influenced by a pending mortgage payment.

v j stauffer
10-30-2011, 02:37 PM
I agree. Check my first post in this thread. It was an embarrassment to all involved. I always have known you as being the kind of guy who called 'em as they see 'em. Perhaps you were influenced by a pending mortgage payment.

If you saw it and thought it sucked is totally cool. Thanks for giving it a try. That's all anyone can ask.

Valuist
10-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Sounds like its Sea Biscuit meets Spinal Tap. As a big fan of "Tap", I've got to see this movie.

v j stauffer
10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Sounds like its Sea Biscuit meets Spinal Tap. As a big fan of "Tap", I've got to see this movie.

Now yer talkin. Let us know what you think.

Shelby
10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
I think the previews on tv are funny. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

FantasticDan
10-31-2011, 12:26 PM
A so-so review from the NYT:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/10/31/movies/and-theyre-off-horse-racing-mocumentary-review.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

A more positive review from this fellow:

http://www.nycmovieguru.com/oct28th11.html#andtheyreoff

TommyCh
10-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Wanna see a lousy movie? Try Disney's Secretariat. It was painfully funny but it wasn't supposed to be.

PaceAdvantage
11-01-2011, 03:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJaNSXlYuQ

PA got those goggles from Frankie Dettori. Oh come now, I have hardly been a leader in this thread. And for the record, I will see this movie with an open mind... even though the previews look like a yawn-fest.

v j stauffer
11-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Oh come now, I have hardly been a leader in this thread. And for the record, I will see this movie with an open mind... even though the previews look like a yawn-fest.

You are the leader in all matters PA. That's just the way it is. Seeing the movie with an open mind puts you about 5000 miles ahead of most on here. They knock and have no intention of even giving it a try. Looking forward to your review.

v j stauffer
11-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Wanna see a lousy movie? Try Disney's Secretariat. It was painfully funny but it wasn't supposed to be.

I thought Secretariat was terrific. Real racetrackers had to forgive some dramatic licenses the producers took. However overall I thought it was fun to watch and quite moving at times. Oh well. To each they're own.

andymays
11-01-2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/theyre-off-film-review-254746

Excerpt:

NEW YORK — A straightforward attempt to mine Christopher Guest-style humor out of a sad-sack horseracing tale, Rob Schiller's And They're Off finds Sean Astin facing overwhelming odds with an absolute unwillingness to quit. Astin's endearingly game performance isn't enough to carry the film, which won't likely see a second week in theaters. His name along with co-star Cheri Oteri may help on VOD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I won't go to the theaters to see it but I will watch it later on.

v j stauffer
11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/theyre-off-film-review-254746

Excerpt:

NEW YORK — A straightforward attempt to mine Christopher Guest-style humor out of a sad-sack horseracing tale, Rob Schiller's And They're Off finds Sean Astin facing overwhelming odds with an absolute unwillingness to quit. Astin's endearingly game performance isn't enough to carry the film, which won't likely see a second week in theaters. His name along with co-star Cheri Oteri may help on VOD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I won't go to the theaters to see it but I will watch it later on.

Theatres tend to have high takeouts.

andymays
11-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Theatres tend to have high takeouts.

They get you on the drinks, popcorn, and candy.

v j stauffer
11-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Boy do they. That's what I was talking about as much or more than the ticket prices. Once I have my staples. Diet Coke, Hot Dog, Popcorn, Junior Mints I'm stuck $30 before I see a preview. The snack bar is in desperate need of a 14% pick 5!

Zippy Chippy
11-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Boy do they. That's what I was talking about as much or more than the ticket prices. Once I have my staples. Diet Coke, Hot Dog, Popcorn, Junior Mints I'm stuck $30 before I see a preview.

For a short time i was actually looking to get into this industry. Wanted to have a fun little cinema in the center of town. I was reading that the big movies like Star Wars etc the production companies take up to 100% the 1st 2 weeks, then the 3rd week it drops down. They have no choice but to charge those astronomical drinks, popcorn prices. I now go to a second run theatre and its great. $5 tickets, you can get beer for like $1.75 for a draft. Have pizza, pretzels for a buck, candy for $1.00, wine pretty cheap. And they show all the Patriots games for free. I like hometown theatres like that.

v j stauffer
11-01-2011, 12:00 PM
For a short time i was actually looking to get into this industry. Wanted to have a fun little cinema in the center of town. I was reading that the big movies like Star Wars etc the production companies take up to 100% the 1st 2 weeks, then the 3rd week it drops down. They have no choice but to charge those astronomical drinks, popcorn prices. I now go to a second run theatre and its great. $5 tickets, you can get beer for like $1.75 for a draft. Have pizza, pretzels for a buck, candy for $1.00, wine pretty cheap. And they show all the Patriots games for free. I like hometown theatres like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLtwFugudZE

toetoe
11-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Kevin Nealon is funny.

We have a major philosophical disagreement here. I will dispute this contention until they pry the clicker from my cold dead hands.

Zippy Chippy
11-01-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLtwFugudZE

Great scene

toetoe
11-01-2011, 12:44 PM
OMG youpeople NEVER NEVER NEVER let up. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Not sure who theypeople are, but have you considered that the slavering minions of every movie director/handicapper/'comedian' might never let up ? I have.

toetoe
11-01-2011, 12:47 PM
... I promise I would have the same takes if not involved.

I believe you. Upon further review, I see that 'would have' scenario as sadder still.

toetoe
11-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Was he in the movie too?

:lol: ... :lol:

Something about the format of the medium and the shortness of the preceding post lent to this one-liner the perfect timing. :ThmbUp:

toetoe
11-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Astin's performance was 'endearingly lame' or 'endearingly game'?

TommyCh
11-01-2011, 01:06 PM
You are the leader in all matters PA. That's just the way it is. Seeing the movie with an open mind puts you about 5000 miles ahead of most on here. They knock and have no intention of even giving it a try. Looking forward to your review.

Oh man, Vic. There's a difference between artistic license and flat out historical distortion, which Disney is famous for. The VERY strong implication in the movie that Sham won the Wood Memorial and the inaccurate portrayal of the contractual relationship between Ms. Chenery and the Phipps, to name two, were just unforgivable. They messed up SECRETARIAT's story! Jeez.

As for "And they're Off," glad to see we have such an esteemed colony of film critics on the board. It hasn't come to Chicago yet, but if we can get just a few chuckles out of it, what's wrong with that? the cast looks decent.

v j stauffer
11-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh man, Vic. There's a difference between artistic license and flat out historical distortion, which Disney is famous for. The VERY strong implication in the movie that Sham won the Wood Memorial and the inaccurate portrayal of the contractual relationship between Ms. Chenery and the Phipps, to name two, were just unforgivable. They messed up SECRETARIAT's story! Jeez.

As for "And they're Off," glad to see we have such an esteemed colony of film critics on the board. It hasn't come to Chicago yet, but if we can get just a few chuckles out of it, what's wrong with that? the cast looks decent.

I totally understand. Running the Belmont at Delta Downs or Evangeline or whereever was a little tough to swallow too. I had to discount anything I knew about the actual particulars of the story. Remember however the vast majority of film goers only knew that Secretariat was a good horse who won some big races way back when. Looking at it from that point of view helped me enjoy the movie alot. I think it helped present racing in a good although historically distorted light. As long as the publicity in that format is positive I can live with innacurate.

v j stauffer
11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
:lol: ... :lol:

Something about the format of the medium and the shortness of the preceding post lent to this one-liner the perfect timing. :ThmbUp:

You just cracked yourself up in 4 consecutive posts and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about in any of them. Not to worry. " When you're laughing the whole world laughs with you"

TommyCh
11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I totally understand. Running the Belmont at Delta Downs or Evangeline or whereever was a little tough to swallow too. I had to discount anything I knew about the actual particulars of the story. Remember however the vast majority of film goers only knew that Secretariat was a good horse who won some big races way back when. Looking at it from that point of view helped me enjoy the movie alot. I think helped present racing in a good although historically distorted light. As long as the publicity in this format is positive I can live with innacurate.

Nah, nothing you can do about not getting Belmont to film that race. I heard they had some difficulties getting the track and I'm sure NYRA made cost a factor. Majority ignorance or no memory at all are exactly how Disney rationalizes its historical innaccuracies. It's easy and lazy; they've distorted all kinds of American historical stories. And don't get me started on the ham-handed references to christianity in Secretariat. I think they paid off William Nack. The true story behind his reasons for losing the Wood would have been more interesting than faked events meant to set up bogus press conferences. I choose not to accept the factual problems. That's why Seabiscuit is 10 times a better movie.

toetoe
11-01-2011, 04:51 PM
... I have no idea what the hell you're talking about ...

Surely you are not asking me what I mean ... :confused:

'Secretariat'. Isn't that the tour de force notable for Diane Lane's twins remaining in-blouse ?

I got an idea (:Insert Frank Sutton as Sgt. Carter voice.): a remake of 'Mother, Jugs and Speed', starring Goldi Whoop-Whoop, Diane Lane's Twins and Steve Buscemi.

Your thoughts, brethren ?

BetCrazyGirl
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM

What I don't understand, we are bombard with commericals before the movie even starts but theatres prices still keep going up :confused:

v j stauffer
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Surely you are not asking me what I mean ... :confused:

'Secretariat'. Isn't that the tour de force notable for Diane Lane's twins remaining in-blouse ?

I got an idea (:Insert Frank Sutton as Sgt. Carter voice.): a remake of 'Mother, Jugs and Speed', starring Goldi Whoop-Whoop, Diane Lane's Twins and Steve Buscemi.

Your thoughts, brethren ?

Rarely if ever have I had the temerity to speak on behalf of the PA brethern. I feel this is the time. They CAN'T have thoughts because................THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT:bang: :bang:

bigmack
11-01-2011, 05:41 PM
They're making more in goobers & red vines than on the film.

After the underwhelming release on DVD they may be able to pay for the donuts consumed during filming/videoing.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/11_1_11_14_15_53.jpg

badcompany
11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
So much for the movie having "Early Speed."

toetoe
11-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Good news: It has legs. :)

Bad news: They number three. :(

toetoe
11-01-2011, 09:58 PM
They're making more in goobers & red vines than on the film.

After the underwhelming release on DVD they may be able to pay for the donuts consumed during filming/videoing.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/11_1_11_14_15_53.jpg

That won't even cover Melissa Rivers' shift on the red carpet.

FantasticDan
04-11-2013, 12:49 PM
BUMP

Just noticed this flick is now available via Netflix streaming.. here's the trailer again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX_OS-puFS8