PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem/router combo.

gillenr
11-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Anyone know of one available? Did a lot of searching, but no go. Alledgedly my cable co. now has internet access.

Dick Schmidt
12-01-2003, 05:17 AM
I use a SURFboard cable modem together with a Linksys router. The model I use has four output ports. I keep two computers hooked up full time and often have a friend or two stop by and connect. Easy and fast. Almost any cable modem will do (talk to your cable company) but the Linksys is a real good router, and a snap to set up.

By the way, don't be surprised if no one at your cable company knows anything about the internet. Keep trying and you'll eventually find the one guy who is in charge of internet access. My cable company was like that, and it is owned by Paul Allen, who co-founded Microsoft. Good luck.

Dick

Who loves his cable access to death.

headhawg
12-01-2003, 06:43 PM
gillenr,

Any particular reason you want a combo? I'm assuming it's to save money, but I haven't seen one either. I also have a SURFBoard and it works fine. LinkSys, D-Link, et al are common home routers and any of those should work fine (just make sure to change the administrator password from the default)

Best Buy usually has stuff on sale so you should be able to pick up stuff fairly cheap -- unless you go wireless which is more expensive.

HH

gillenr
12-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I'm cheap, but also, the fewer pieces of hardware, the fewer points of failure, including cables. It seems like a product like that would sell well.

headhawg
12-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by gillenr
Thanks. Yeah, I'm cheap, but also, the fewer pieces of hardware, the fewer points of failure, including cables. It seems like a product like that would sell well.

gillenr,

Two schools of thought on that one. Overall cost might be cheaper, but now there is potentially a single point of failure. Like motherboards with integrated components (sound, modem, video, etc), if it goes bad the whole system goes into the shop for repair as opposed to simply replacing an expansion card.

Good luck.

HH